Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June Activities 2010

Hermoine Jean Granger

June Activities 2010

More information on The Category Patrolling Project can be found here..

This month's featured category is "Post-Hogwarts." Link to category.

A request: When you post the summary, could you please post it in italics instead of in quotes? The reason for the request is that when I try to copy/paste your posts to this thread (I basically click on the 'quote' button and take all the content), the summary doesn't show up as it is in quotes. The thing is, I then have to copy/paste individual summaries and match them up with the links and other information, which leaves a lot of space for error/mismatch of summaries. I'd be grateful if you post the summaries in italics instead, which will work easier for me. (And, if necessary, I'll add the quote tags when I repost the stories to the other thread.)

Post with these details, please:

PHP Code:
    [B]Name of the Story(with link):[/B
    [
    B]Author:[/B
    [
    B]Rating:[/B]
    [
    B]Word Count:[/B]
    [
    B]Warnings(if any):[/B]
    [
    B]Number of chapters(if chaptered. If it is a one-shotthis can be skipped):[/B
    [
    B]Last updated on(applicable only to WIPs):[/B]
    [
    B]Summary:[/B

ahattab33
    Name of the Story(with link): BH
    Author: trinsy
    Rating: 1st-2nd years
    Word Count: 2,817
    Warnings(if any): DH Spoilers
    Summary:

"before Harry, before Hermione, before Hogwarts..."

Ron reflects of families lost and families formed.

Name of the Story(with link): Florean Fortescue, an Unsung Hero
    Author: hestiajones
    Rating: 1st-2nd years
    Word Count: 2,779
    Warnings(if any): Character Death, Violence
    Summary:

Remembering the forgotten ice-cream man of Diagon Alley.

Name of the Story(with link): Fragmentary Blue
    Author: Hatusu
    Rating: 3rd-5th years
    Word Count: 1,570
    Warnings(if any): Sexual Situations
    Summary:

The whole world has gone crazy, tipped on its side, changes happening so quickly that Harry can’t keep track of them all. He isn’t at the centre of it anymore – he’s drifting peacefully somewhere on the very outer rim, and he likes it this way, and he never wants to go back.

He has a dream one night. Soft hands lift him out of his bed. He opens his eyes and their faces are like maps of a country he’s never been to but has always wanted to go. They say they’ll take him to a place where all he has to is breathe.

He says okay.

After Voldemort's defeat, Harry struggles to come to terms with love, death, and the end of innocence. One-shot. Rated for very, very mild sexual implications.

Name of the Story(with link): Serve and Protect
    Author: Fresh C
    Word Count: 2,865
    Warnings(if any): Character Death
    Summary:

The glamorous life of an Auror between the capturing of dark wizards and duels to the death.

Name of the Story(with link): Tarot
    Author: DeadManSeven
    Word Count: 15,136
    Warnings(if any): DH Spoilers, sexual situations, strong profanity
    Number of chapters: 7, completed
    Summary:

A reading that consists of only cards from the Major Arcana indicates the destiny of the querant lies outside their own control - possibly within the hands of Fate itself.

Nineteen years pass between the final chapter and the epilogue. Here are two days inside those nineteen years.

~Amanda

jenny b

June Featured Author

Our featured author for June is Russia/Russia Snow!

Her author’s page can be found here.

Remember:
    • You must review the featured author for it to count as your monthly activity requirement.
    • Post the link to your review here - you may also post it in the June review thread for credit as a review.
    • Questions in this thread are not part of the monthly requirement, but they are greatly encouraged. Also, they must have something to do with the subject of writing.

jenny b

June Drabble Challenge: Mini 007

For those of you that don't have the time to do the actual thing (or for those who need a change of character ), then here's a miniature version of the 007. You need to choose one character and one prompt and drabble about it.

Characters:
    Albus Dumbledore
    Peter Pettigrew
    Narcissa Malfoy
    Susan Bones
    Hugo Weasley
    Fleur Delacour

Prompts:
    Broomstick
    Chocolate
    Green
    Hat
    Fire
    Sheep

(The last four are courtesy of Hannah, so don't blame me for the sheep. >.>)

Rules/Guidelines:

• Drabble can be between 250-800 words.
    • Content should not be any higher than a 3rd-5th Years rating.
    • All content that would require a warning on the MNFF Archive should be labelled appropriately.
    • This thread is for responses only. If you have a question, PM me.
    • Responses must be posted by June 30th, 2010.
    • Please post using this format:
      Title:
      Word Count:
    • As with all activities within the SPEW forum, this challenge is open only to SPEW members.

jenny b

June Discussion: Review the Review

This was an activity that SPEW did way back before I was even a member, and it's an interesting concept so I thought I would bring it back up again as our discussion this month. Like I said, I've never done it, but it's pretty self-explanatory. You need to review the content of one of your reviews.

So you will need to discuss what was said well, what could have been said better/elaborated on, if the review has a good tone, could it have contained more criticism, etc. You all know what should be in a good review, now it's time to put that to the test.

I want SPEW quality reviews for this. Like the title says, it's a proper review, just for one of your previous reviews rather than a piece of fanfiction. You need to post or link to the original review in your reply.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

ahattab33
    I chose two of the reviews I have left for Natalie (hestiajones), for whom I practically review all of her stories. She is not only a very dear friend, but someone whom I admire very very much as a writer. Her stories are very easy to review in my opinion, quite simply because they are fabulous, but as a result, there are some consequences from this, both good and bad: my reviews are often gushy and have rarely any critique in them, but at the same time, I am quite free to be very honest with her as friends.

1: Sunday Lunch at the Malfoy's:

Hey Natalie! I have come to review as promised, and I'm glad you promoted your story, because somehow I missed it in the updates. Is this the first story you've ever written? Because it was a joy and a delight to read - can I have more please? I am mega-impressed!

I think there can be many characterizations of Astoria, as we know so little about her, but any take that is well written is believable. Your take on the Malfoys' Post-Hogwarts life is refreshing. It doesn't feel overdone, and it is explained. The motivations behind their somewhat secluded life brings us a version of Scorpius that is accepted and well-balanced and prejudiced free - again, tastefully and refreshingly done so as not to be overwhelming.

Your characterization - spot on. Well, in my humble opinion. There have been 12309827 different versions of Scorpius and Astoria, and I really like yours. Astoria seems like she is a good fit for the Draco you've molded as well…willing to play into his ego a little bit, but all aboard the "Let's Forget the Past" train.

My favorite…impression?...of your work is how you intermingled the history and the aforementioned motivations and beliefs of the Malfoy's into the dialogue and into the story as it unfolded, rather than giving us several paragraphs in the beginning. It felt like I was peeking into their life for a day, shadowing first Draco, and then Teddy, and finally Astoria as something trivial like Sunday lunch is actually a very pivotal moment in their lives. It made the flow of the story smooth and easy to read, breaking up the dialogue and the prose.

I also liked the time stamp and place - it helped to juxtapose the differences and similarities between the two families…does that make sense? At least, it did for me, lol. Teddy and Draco had a VERY different background, but at the same time were both willing to cross bridges and change tradition. And they both were cute being nervous. I also thought the comparisons between the Weasley children and Scorpius were initially a tad overdone, but now that I think about it, that's probably what I would have been doing the entire time myself - making comparisons in this nervewracking situation to the one think I'm most familiar with.

I also thought that you sprinkled it ever so nicely with glimpses into how the Wizarding world has changed, and just with little fun tidbits here and there to make the reader really feel immersed in a magical world. I think as writers of this fiction we sometimes forget to do that subtly here and there: playing Auror and Wizard Baddie, Astoria's thought about stunning two birds with one spell, Teddy's household spells worth a "T" grade, Archiwizards…etc.

So, this review is monstrous, and probably the longest one I've ever written! I think there were a few nitpicks in there somewhere - one of your codings is off, something was supposed to be italicized, I think, and I have to mention that I did have a little, "Hmm" moment when Draco got the owl from Xanadu - but I wasn't joking when I asked for another. Something with lots of Astoria in it.

~Amanda
    This is one of my stronger reviews. I have a tendency to tell authors what they already know about their story- my “impressions”, more of a summary of how I received a story, but in too much detail to get to my point. I think this particular review avoided this, and helped really explain what I thought about various aspects of the story – characterization, writing style, etc.- and really said WHY I liked it or didn’t like it. I also had some critique interspersed. It wasn’t harsh, it was simply honest and justified, and I tried to make it clear that it didn’t by any means overwhelm the rest of the story, but it was still there and there were impressions I had reading it.

I think it comes across better in reviews to someone like Natalie, who is a close friend, but this review sounds conversational and honest…I wanted this feed