Thread: Help with SLOVAK

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Protecting Scabbers from Crookshanks

Help with SLOVAK

Hello!

I am currently writing a mystery fic based in Slovakia. Out of the four characters featured in the story, three are Slovaks. I am having trouble writing their accented English.

How do you think their accent would be? We know the Bulgarians used 'v' for 'w', and 'ff' for 'v' in GOF. Would that be the same case with Slovaks?

Also, if there is a real Slovak out here, I would love to correspond with you about the use of the national language in my fic. Please?
    ]

Banner by BELLA THE HELLA. <3

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    I know this is probably a terrible basis of comparison, but I watch a ton of hockey, which features many Slovakian players.

One thing I have noticed is that the Slovaks tend to have less accented speech than the Czech players. I don't know whether that is because of how English is taught in either country, but the Slovaks tend to speak more concisely. That being said, when they speak faster, they do get a slight Russian lilt, which makes their speech sound slightly mumbly.

Later, I'll take some samplings of some of the Slovakian hockey players during post-game interviews and all of that and email them to you, and you can listen for yourself.

I hope that helped at all.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Protecting Scabbers from Crookshanks
    Thanks, Jess! That would be really helpful.

So, do you think the Slovaks would use the same spells as the wizarding world in the books? I can't remember Viktor Krum or Fleur or Gregorovitch using one of the spells from the books. Can anyone recall them doing so?
    ]

Banner by BELLA THE HELLA. <3