Thread: Tom from the Leaky Cauldron

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Swallowing the Golden Snitch

Tom from the Leaky Cauldron

So, I didn't see a thread for him, and as he has recently sparked my interest, I thought I'd start one.

I was just wondering, since his pub is the entrance to Diagon Alley, it must have been there as long as the alley...
    So who owned it before Tom?

Has the pub been in the family for generations?
    Or did he buy it from the previous owner?

How does it end up with Hannah Abbot Longbottom?
    What is Tom's relation to her?
    Are they related?
    Did she buy it from him?

-Haha, that creates a funny picture in my mind. I see a our dear toothless old Tom, retired, wearing flip flops with his robes and sipping a drink with a little umbrella in it on a beach.-

What made Tom want to own the pub/inn?

What house would he have been in at Hogwarts?

Being the landlord of the Leaky Cauldron, he probably gets to deal with a very wide variety of magical personages... Does he speak other languages? (i.e. gobbledigook, etc.)
    He also deals with people from every aspect of the wizarding world- Death Eaters, Order members, etc,- and tongues move a little more freely under the influence of firewhiskey... Does he do any spy work?
    For Dumbledore?
    For the other side?
    Or has he decided to remain neutral?

Does he have a family?
    Is he a widower?
    Never married?
    Loving grandfather?

I was just curious... now maybe you are too?

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    I've not seen this thread before and replying to it will give me something to do.

So who owned it before Tom?
    Anyone could have done. It could have been his father, his uncle, his brother, or just a random person, anyone you want it to be. The idea that it's inherited or he bought it could both work.

Has the pub been in the family for generations?
    I personally don't think it's been in the family since it opened. Pubs rarely are, and so I think that it would have changed hands several times. It could have stayed in one family for several generations before someone sold it on to someone else.

How does it end up with Hannah Abbot Longbottom?
    To be honest, this is something that I've always wondered and I suspect that JKR made this up on the spur of the moment without really thinking about it. But then again, she could have had her reasons for it and it could fit with the character she's invisioned. There's no mention of the two being related, though it's probably something that wouldn't be touched on as it'd be unimportant to the plot. Everyone seems to be related to everyone else, so they could be relations of sorts, but Hannah could have also just bought the pub when Tom retired.

I imagine it to be Hufflepuff because I can't see someone who had qualitites like ambition and selfishness (Slytherin), someone who was clever and liked to learn (Ravenclaw) or someone who was courageous and reckless (Gryffindor) to be content to work behind a bar all his life. I know I'm stereotyping majorly there and he could well have been in another house, but that's what I think, plain and simple. I think to do the job he does, he'd also have to have a personality that would lend itself to hard work and determination, and someone who would also be a bit of a people person, friendly and easy to talk to, and I see that person being in Hufflepuff. There's also the question, did he go to Hogwarts in the first place? Remember it's not compulsory to go and if his father was landlord before him, he may have stayed at home to help tend the bar.

Does he speak other languages? (i.e. gobbledigook, etc.)
    I imagine he'd have picked bits and pieces up from various people travelling though his pub, but I doubt he'd be fluent in anything.

Does he do any spy work?
    For Dumbledore?
    For the other side?
    Or has he decided to remain neutral?

This, I think, is an interesting set of questions, and you could go any way with this, depending on what personality you assign him. You could make him to be a bit of a Barliman Butterbur character, a bit simple and likely to be scared of any real evil that came his way, or he could be made of sterner stuff. I doubt he'd be spying for the other side because then I think the Leaky Cauldron would have been a dodgier place. I don't think that he'd be much use as a spy for Voldemort where he is because Voldemort sets his sights on higher things. All Tom would be able to tell him was inn-side gossip and who passed through his pub. The Order is unlikely to be caught discussing their plans like that, and Voldemort doesn't really need to keep track of their movements. What is it to him if three Order members pass through into Diagon Alley? They're only going to be there on Order buisness if his Death Eaters have something planned, and he'll know that anyway. No, I see Tom of being of far more use to Dumbledore and the Order, who will want to know about Death Eater or suspected Death Eater movement through his pub. I think the liklihood of him being a spy is entirely what you want to make it, but remember not everyone is going to be a spy for someone. Some people are just ordinary folk trying to get on with their lives.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

So who owned it before Tom? Has the pub been in the family for generations, or did he buy it from the previous owner?

Somehow, I don't see Tom taking the pub over from his retiring father or anything like that... You could really make a giant story out of that. Perhaps his father was a Slytherin and disappointed in his son's lack of ambition, but still loved him, so he bought the pub for Tom. There, Tom could be successful in a way (you really can't say that the Leaky Cauldron isn't important) and be.. sort of not the "black sheep", but be true to his own ideals and ambitions too.

How does it end up with Hannah Abbot Longbottom? What is Tom's relation to her? Are they related?

I don't think they're related. I think I read somewhere that Hannah was a halfblood.. Or maybe that's just in my head, but I can see her as a halfblood, or, if she's a pureblood, as having a much stronger relationship with her mother than with her father. After Hannah's mother died, she didn't return to school at least for the remainder of the sixth year (right?). Assuming that her father was a Muggle, or that perhaps he always worked a lot or something like that, Hannah might have been very lonely in that time. Perhaps she spent a great part of her summer in the Leaky Cauldron, and eventually (since her mother was dead and the family might have been lacking money a bit) got a job there. I see Tom as a very sympathetic man, who might have listened to Hannah beyond the work-stuff. She was separated from all her friends during most of that time, and she had a lot to cope with. I think Hannah worked at the pub for a while (as a barmaid, or maybe she just did a bit of everything, where ever she was needed), and did a bit more every day. Maybe Tom got ill at some point and had to leave the pub in Hannah's hands for a while, and realised that she could handle it on her own, too. In my head, she really has this... sort of trainee thing with Tom until she's ready to lead the pub herself.

Did she buy it from him?

This just popped into my head - what if Tom had really grown to like Hannah in this grandfatherly sort of way, and decided to give the Leaky Cauldron to her as a wedding present? Maybe he said something like, as long as he got his free beer and soup, she could have it... I think the pub went so well with all the witches and wizards passing through all the time that Tom had enough money in his retirement account at Gringotts to live a good life in a nice flat somewhere...
    I can imagine that he stayed around for a couple of weeks, just to make sure that Hannah settled in and managed it all properly, and then retire happily, knowing that his pub was in good hands.

This is strange, but I sort of see everyone who works in bars (Rosmerta, Tom, Hannah, Aberforth) as a former Hufflepuff...

Does he speak other languages? (i.e. gobbledigook, etc.)

Mmmh I'm not so sure about that... I can imagine that he does know a couple of words, so that he knows what the people are ordering, but I don't think that he'd bother to actually learn lots of languages. In the end, he's in... sort of a position of power, cause he provides the beer, and the others want it, haha.

Does he do any spy work or has he decided to remain neutral?

This is a tough question... I think he'd remain neutral, as far as possible. If DEs started hexing his customers, he'd stand up to them and throw them out if necessary, but I think he'd try not to get involved most of the time. I can see him as this "I just want to run my pub, and as long as you just want to be served here, that's fine, but don't bother me or my customers" type.

Does he have a family?

I don't think he ever married. Perhaps he was in love at some point, but I can imagine that it didn't work out, and he decided not to go through all the pain and trouble again. He'd have lots of friends among his regular customers, and as I already said above, I think he could have been a grandfatherly type to Hannah and later also Neville.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Apparently, Hannah Abbott Longbottom has been described as Muggleborn, half-blood and pure-blood by JKR. Though according to lexicon "for the record" she's half-blood, and it's never stated anywhere in the books.

She may very well be related to Tom then, or maybe her Muggle family also ran a restaurant or pub and she's used to the work, it's really quite open.