Thread: The Pensieve

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party

The Pensieve

Hi all,
    I was reading through some old threads on the Pensieve, but had some questions of my own to add.
    It seems the general consensus is that when you take out a memory to view in the Pensieve, you still remember it yourself. . . except for that bit with Snape in OotP. He took out memories and put them in the Pensieve, presumably so Harry would not see them if he somehow managed to break into Snape's mind. At least, that's how I interpret it. Do you think he put them in there for another reason?

So if you take out a memory and lose it, you have to put it back to remember it. Do you think you can copy it so someone else can study it? It seems like Slughorn must have done something like that. He gave Dumbledore a fake memory, but then pulled out the real one for Harry later on.

I saw some comments and have to agree that Dumbledore's Pensieve probably isn't the only one, but that they are rare. I find it very possible there are some floating around, or being used at the MoM. So here are my last two questions: what do you think happened to Dumbledore's Penseive after the Battle of Hogwarts? Did it stay with the school?

And do you think it could be in any way possible to create a temporary Pensieve using a magical spell? Like, a very powerful, relatively unknown (or even new) spell that might turn a bowl of water into a Pensieve? I tend to think almost anything is possible with magic, so how could that work in a story?

Thanks!
    ~Gina

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

I'll try to give some sort of answer to your last question first.

I really think that it could work, and that it could be very useful in a story. The temporary Pensieve would probably be weaker. Perhaps you wouldn't actually go inside there, but rather see through the surface, like.. I don't know, like a sort of digital screen, only that it's the surface of the water...

As to how it would be made since we're talking about liquids here, I can imagine that there would be some sort of potion, perhaps (you could make that as difficult to fabricate, as short-lasting and as expensive as suits your story), that you pour into the bowl of water to make the viewing of memories possible through it.

Dumbledore's Pensieve probably stayed with the school, along with those other instruments people didn't understand. Perhaps they had sort of a museum-closet; but I can also very well imagine future headmasters using Pensieves.

I never really thought about memories being removed when you put them into the Pensieve, but what you say about Snape's memories makes absolute sense... But then it would be really not useful, would it, because you wouldn't know that you had that memory in the Pensieve. Like Dumbledore with Bertha Jorkins - she's in the Pensieve, but if he didn't KNOW that memory was in there, how could he have showed it to Harry? And all the memories concerning Tom Riddle that he stores in those small bottles. He needs to know what they are about in order to revisit them.

Perhaps... it's a bit like stuff on a computer drive. When you delete it, it appears to be gone, but there's always some way to get it back. When Snape took those memories away, he still knew he had them, but they weren't in his mind like... movies for Harry to see anymore. Perhaps once you put a memory in the Pensieve, the idea of the memory remains inside you (like the index of a library ... the "title" of the memory would still be there), but the actual, detailed, picture-like content is in the Pensieve.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Kara
    Like Dumbledore with Bertha Jorkins - she's in the Pensieve, but if he didn't KNOW that memory was in there, how could he have showed it to Harry? And all the memories concerning Tom Riddle that he stores in those small bottles. He needs to know what they are about in order to revisit them.
    Okay, this is going to sound mega complicated, but I'll give it a go nonetheless.

For everything we do, there is a memory formed, whether it is a long-term memory that is stored in our brains like a hard drive, or a short-term memory that is in our brain like browser cookies, which we forget fairly easily. With that being said, our brains would still make a log of our actions. More specifically, if I took out a memory about Subject X, my brain would at least remember that I did that action and that it was about Subject X, even if I have no idea what is in the memory.

It's almost like a book that you read a long time ago. You could have no earthly idea what it was about or even the main characters, but you know the title and that you'd read it, despite the fact that the particulars are vague at best.

Does that make sense at all? I tried my best to see that it does.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.