Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sirius Black - Part II

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    When did he get his motorbike? Where would he have gotten the money?
    He inherited a lot of money from his Uncle Alphard, and that's how I assume he got the money.
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

First Year Gryffindor
    Setting Snakes on Hapless Relatives
    Hi everyone! Quick question about Sirius: Does canon indicate specifically that he thought he had succeeded in killing Peter Pettigrew before he was imprisoned in Azkaban? A Sirius-centric one-shot that I just posted is written with the interpretation that he knew he had failed and waited 12 years to figure out where Pettigrew was... then he saw that picture of Ron and Scabbers in the Daily Prophet, and at that point, planned his escape/went after Peter. I'm not sure if I can get away with that assumption in the story without putting an AU warning on the story or revising the one or two lines that reference this perspective.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ebil Minion Ravenclaw
    Searching for Neville's Toad
    The only thing canon gives us about Sirius and Peter's fight is that they had a shouting match in public and the street exploded, killing 13 (?) Muggles and one wizard (whose only remaining body part was a finger). Sirius was carried away laughing hysterically and talking about how Lily and James's death was all his fault. From PoA it doesn't seem like he knows Peter is alive until he sees the picture in The Daily Prophet, because even Remus is surprised and thinks Sirius is lying until Sirius makes some comment about how Peter must have blown up the street behind himself and survived in his animagus form, "living with the rats". That said, he could also have known Peter wasn't dead but just didn't know where to find him.
    Last edited by noblefate; 06-18-2012 at 01:24 PM. Reason: poor SPaG
    noblefate: writes ~ betas ~ drabbles ~ duels ~ is a proud Turnip! ~ is an Ebil Minion

wonderful banner by minnabird

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    I think that he would know that Peter wasn't dead. Or at least, I think he'd assume that he wasn't. He was there, he saw directly what happened, and also he knew Peter and what had gone on. He knew Peter was out to save himself, why else would Peter have shouted what he did? He might not have known for certain, in the explosion Sirius might have been disorientated and confused, but he also might have chanced to look at Peter and seen him cut off his finger and transform.

Psychologically, I think that he would have been less sound of mind in Azkaban if he didn't know. He's very certain he's innocent and if he knows that the perpetrator was alive and still at large, it would give him added strength of mind. He has a hope that one day Peter might be caught. I think that he'd be in worse condition mentally, if he thought Peter was dead as well, but this is just me speculating.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    In POA, Sirius states that he was able to transform and keep a sane mind because he knew he was innocent. He goes on to further say that it wasn't a happy thought, so the dementors couldn't take it away from him. As Sirius was convicted for the explosion on the street moreso than the betrayal of Lily and James, we can assume that he knew that he did not kill anyone. Or at least, that's how I took it
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Snape Hates Me
    Agree with the above....

He wouldn't have known for sure if Peter was still alive after all those years, or where he was before he saw the photo in the paper, but he knew he hadn't killed him and that Peter had at least survived the blast in the street.

"Of course," Lupin breathed. "So simple...so brilliant...he cut it off himself?"

"Just before he transformed," said Black. "When I cornered him, he yelled for the whole street to hear that I'd betrayed Lily and James. Then, before I could curse him, he blew apart the street with the wand behind his back, killed everyone within twenty feet of himself--and sped down into the sewer with the other rats..."

First Year Gryffindor
    Setting Snakes on Hapless Relatives
    Ah YES, that's the quote that I was looking for!! I couldn't find it in the section of PoA that I read before writing my story (to check canon), and I was worried that I had gotten it from a non-canon source like the movies or from a fanfiction story... guess I was just reading the wrong section in the book! Thank you so much. And it's really good to see a Gryffindor username I recognize, hehe. I squealed a little at my computer screen, I'll admit.