Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sirius Black - Part II

Midnight Storm
    Just a couple of Sirius questions:

What would he have thought of Lily before she'd got with James? How about after?
    In a few fics I've read, Lily has been 'Evans' to Sirius, and Sirius has been 'Black' to Lily. I think this is plausible. But what about when Lily gets with James?

Would he have felt threatened by Lily and James' relationship?
    In a couple of fics I've read, Sirius is peeved by Lily and James' relationship because he feels like James prefers Lily to him. Do you think this is right?

When did he get his motorbike?
    There were motorbike magazines in his GP bedroom, right? Does that mean he bought it before he ran away? Where would he have gotten the money?

What sort of subjects would he have taken?
    Muggle Studies, to go against his parents? Astronomy, because his family is named after the stars? Divination? Transfiguration?

Any ideas for answers would be very much appreciated XD

~Midnight Storm

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    What would he have thought of Lily before she'd got with James? How about after?
    Um, I don't think he'd have thought much about Lily, to be honest. It probably amused him that James was chasing her and she kept turning him down. If you look at his words after SWM, he says something like 'Reading between the lines, mate, I think she thinks you're big headed.' He's not annoyed with Lily for shouting at James or for defending Snape, he's more or less indifferent to her.

Not at first. Lily could well have been just another girlfriend. As it became clear that James and Lily were serious I can see him feeling a bit put out. Lily changes the dynamic of the group. They were a close band of four, they're now five. I don;t think he would have felt threatened for long, but he would have needed to forge some sort of friendship with Lily.

Probably when he was seventeen and inherited the money from Uncle Alphard.

In my fic Lions of Gryffindor, I have him taking Muggle Studies because he's fascinated, but he has to hide that from his parents. (They discover the truth when they get his OWL results). Other electives could possibly be Divination and Care of Magical Creatures, Ancient Runes, Arithmancy. I can't see him wanting to study that many, Sirius was described as very bright, but he probably didn;t put much effort in. He'd have to take Astronomy - at least to OWL level. Would he necessarily want to study it because of his name. Hmm, not sure. He might hate it precisely because of the Black connection to constellations.
    NEWT level: DADA, Charms, Transfiguration, Herbology, Potions ... then any other one or two you think he may have wanted to do.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    I think it would be more of a she's just there type of relationship. Kind of the like Harry's relationship with Lavander, to be honest.

I think that Sirius knew that his and James' relationship was strong, and that having a girlfriend wouldn't change that. They were practically brothers, as Sirius lived with him, so I'm sure he knew that their relationship was strong.

Probably when he inherited the money, there was no other way for him to afford it I don't think. His parents would most certainly not pay for it.

I always saw him taking Transfiguration, which is why he could learn to be an Animagus. I also see him taking Charms, Arithmancy, and Defence Against the Dark Arts. I don't have any reasoning for that though. I think he'd take 5-6 NEWT courses though (again, no proof, just what I've always imagined).

~Maple
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Okay, I've used the search feature on both Sirius' thread and couldn't find anything, so I don't think it's been asked before. I've decided to base part of the spell for Animagus transformations on the breed or type of animal that person becomes. So, what sort of dog do you think Sirius turned into? I'm leaning towards an Irish Woflhound because they're large and shaggy, but my knowledge of dog breeds isn't that good. Is there another breed that might fit better?

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    For some reason I've always thought of 'Padfoot' as a mongrel type of dog. Although as a pureblood, he probably isn't *ponders Animagi forms and blood status*

I think Irish wolfhound or a deerhound are probably right. It had to be something big and strong enough to keep a werewolf in check. And both those breeds are huge.

~Carole~

Banner by minnabird

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Hmm. I didn't consider mongrel. Or that blood status might play a part. That's interesting. I can't seem to find the latin name for wolfhounds, so I might just go with Canis lupus familiaris in some way.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

mppfangirl1960

Eye color?

Hi everyone,

I searched all the threads about Sirius, and didn't find this question, but my apologies in case it's already been asked:

When exactly does JKR state that Sirius's eyes are gray? I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by beguiled22; 04-11-2011 at 01:33 AM. Reason: misspelling

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    JKR says his eyes are grey on her official site.

Quote Originally Posted by JK Rowling
    At the launch of Goblet of Fire at King's Cross, London, I shook hands with a woman who leaned forward and whispered conspiratorially, 'Sirius Black is sexy, right?' And yes, of course she was right, as the Immeritus club know. The best-looking, most rebellious, most dangerous of the four marauders... and to answer one burning question on the discussion boards, his eyes are grey.
    Hope that helps.

~Carole~

Banner by minnabird

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    When did he get his motorbike? Where would he have gotten the money?

Wizards use gold very casually – even poor wizards like the Weasleys have a couple gold Galleons to throw around. In contrast, gold is very rare and valuable in the Muggle world. Currently for us Muggles, gold is going for almost £900 per ounce! If we assume gold had roughly the same value in the 1970s, adjusted for inflation, then Sirius Black could have literally just bought the motorcycle with his pocket change.

Its basically equivalent to paying for the bike with gold nuggets, except the nuggets are coin-shaped and have weird symbols on them. So the problem is not Sirius being able to afford it or not, the problem is more him trying to figure out what a motorcycle is, where to buy one, and how to not kill himself while riding it.

Tim the Enchanter

mppfangirl1960

Thanks!

Thank you so much Equinox Chick!
    And by the way, I'm a huge fan of all of your fics. They're absolutely wonderful.