Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sirius Black - Part II

Honigkuchenpferd Hufflepuff
    "Greetings From Egypt..."

Sirius Black - Part II

The other thread filled up quickly. Please continue your discussions about Sirius Black here.

Last posts:

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox Chick
    I mean, maybe he wasn't even able to produce a Patronus after Azkaban... I dunno.
    *sighs as Kara has just pre-empted one of my plots*

Regarding Animagus/Patronus forms. We have very little evidence, because the only Animagus we see cast a Patronus is McGonagall. James, we're told by Harry (and JKR later) had the same for both.

However what leads me to believe that the Animagus and Patronus forms are not always the same is that the Patronus can change. Tonks' changes from something to a wolf (her representation of Remus who she loves and thinks of as her protector). At first I thought her Patronus could change because she's a Metamorphmagus, but Remus says anyone's can change.

I'm also thinking that Snape's Animagus form wouldn't have been a doe ... it's nothing like his personality.

Okay, some more questions about the lovely Mr Black.

He leaves home at 16 and stays with the Potters. When he comes of age he inherits some money from his Uncle Alphard. What do you think he does for money in the meantime?

I think he'd feel very uncomfortable taking money off the Potters - do you agree?

So he needs to earn money. I have one or two ideas for my story, but I'd like some wacky as well as decent suggestions for Padfoot to consider. (legal? illegal? Up to you)

~Carole~
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.
    I think he'd feel very uncomfortable taking money off the Potters - do you agree?

I do. I think he would do all he could to make up for it -- helping then with dinner, dishes, cleaning, fixing things, yard work. He would probably go out of his way to pull his weight around the house, and maybe volunteer to do extra things for them, like... building... things? I don't know.

In one story, long abandoned, I imagined Mrs Potter being extremely angry with Sirius' parents and writing a flurry of angry letters, ending with a visit, until they made an honest effort to help their son at least financially. I think James got his endless perseverance from somewhere, and Mrs Potter forcing the Blacks to cough up gold for at least his education (school supplies) seems likely, to me. We know the Potters were financially well off, but I imagined it being the principal of the thing.

Whether Sirius would have wanted that or not -- well I don't think he would have. But I don't see that as deterrent to an angry mother.

So he needs to earn money. I have one or two ideas for my story, but I'd like some wacky as well as decent suggestions for Padfoot to consider. (legal? illegal? Up to you)

Maybe he would have worked at a bar (muggle or magical) during the summer? At sixteen it's unlikely the Potters would have allowed it, but there's always sneaking out. (And dozens of ways a young wizard could trick a muggle barkeep.) Working among crowds of drunk muggles also opens up possibilities... maybe he would have sold innocuous-looking magical paraphernalia, reminiscent of one Fred and one George Weasley. But he's broke, so where would he get the items in the first place? Right, I'm not too creative.

I don't think that was too helpful.

Edit: I suggest a bar, rather than shop or restaurant, because a night job just seems more likely to me (although I don't know what night life is like in England -- are there restaurants and the like open?).

Oh -- well if he flies in your story, he could opt to tutor younger children. Maybe James already does this as a summer job, and Sirius jumps on board? If you want it humorous, he could have no talent flying. "Lean forward! Atta boy! Keep going, that tree is yards off -- slow down?! HOW WOULD I KNOW HOW TO SLOW THE THING! ABANDON BROOM, ABANDON BROOM!" xD Sorry.
    I actually meant more at Hogwarts. In my story, Sirius has a girlfriend but doesn't have pocket money - as such - so can't afford things like presents, dates etc etc. He left GP with some money, but that's running out. What I suppose I'm looking for is ideas for him to consider - rather like the Twins were making money selling tricks ( but I don't want Sirius to do that)

That's a good point about the education expenses. It hadn't quite registered with me, but I imagined that he'd be under a similar deal to Tom Riddle who had his expenses paid ... or else the Blacks just had to pay up and had no choice. That's sparked a minor Walburga plot in my head ... hmmm. Thanks Ari.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari
    although I don't know what night life is like in England -- are there restaurants and the like open?).
    Well in 1976 ish, pubs closed at 11pm at weekends and 10.30 during the week (I think). They weren't open all day. Resturants possibly had more freedom to open later.

Our licensing laws are much more relaxed now and a lot of pubs are open all day until midnight - or later if they get an extension/ rambling off point.
    No longer a mod and no longer in charge of any forums.

author ~*~ BA banner ~*~ giggler
    Banners by Tiffany and Samarie ^

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    1974 was the year of the IRA pub bombings, in '76 the terrorists moved on to tube stations. London nightlife went on but security was tight, very tight and the pubs did indeed close at 10:30 or 11:00 pm.

A weekend bar job would be possible, but only if Sirius were 18.

Neil

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil
    A weekend bar job would be possible, but only if Sirius were 18
    Well, I've kinda circumvented this. Because 'coming of age' is 17 in the wizarding world, I thought that a wizard could probably legally drink at the age of 17 in a wizard pub.

It's term-time work I'm looking for ... and actually just ideas. I have an idea of what he will end up doing, but I want him to consider lots of things (wild, wacky, distasteful - you get the gist.)

What do you think Sirius would do? What would he be good at? And what would he definitely NOT do?

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

A.H.
    Hm. Maybe as a short term solution, he would bribe money out of students. "Either have a mushroom for a nose, or give me a few gallons, your choice!" Though that's veering from innocent pranks to downright mean bullying. If he's desperate....

(Although -- he might be able to shut his pride up if he did that to James. The understanding that he was asking James for gold and not forcing him would go silent between them, and I could easily see both of them uncomfortably keeping up the act while James gave him money. Short term, but a last-ditch effort, perhaps?)

Maybe he could offer to hex people's enemies, rather than just hexing anyone. By the sixth year the Marauders had certainly gained their reputation and would be trusted with the deed. He could set it up as a service much as the twins did with their merchandise -- just a service of a different kind.

Distasteful -- well he had the know-how to get in to Hogsmead. Maybe he would consider breaking in to one of the shops, or worse, mugging/pick-pocketing people. I think that'd fall under 'would not do'.

Well, I've kinda circumvented this. Because 'coming of age' is 17 in the wizarding world, I thought that a wizard could probably legally drink at the age of 17 in a wizard pub.
    Just remembered -- doesn't Mr Weasley... dang, well, someone, whom I'm almost sure I remember being an adult, give Harry a firewhiskey near the beginning of DH? The overprotective mother Mrs Weasley is, I always assumed that the coming of age age was the bottom line age -- no smoking at eighteen and drinking at twenty one like Muggles.

Anyway, just didn't want to let that thought run away.

The only aid he has in Hogwarts is his wand. I don't see Sirius bullying for personal gain (well, for anything other than amusement, at least) so maybe rather than being confrontational, he'd do something so that he wouldn't actually have to know who he was stealing from. Maybe he could charm something to attract gold, or money clips, or anything to do with money? Something like a toilet (private enough that the stash wouldn't be anywhere anyone wondering by could find) or a quiet shelf in the library. It'd be perfect for his conscious if he could fine-tune the charm to not take all, but only some.

As for wild and wacky... I'm just not creative. I keep leaning toward him doing something responsible (making nice with Hogsmead shopkeep and pleading for them to turn the other way -- not ask how he got there -- and give him some work occasionally) and that's just giving me bunnies and not helpful.

Oh -- well here's 'out-there'. He -- likely with the help of the other Marauders -- could offer to put on a show for students. A show involving innocent torture of the most-hated professor. Something that might start in the classroom, and then trail the professor for the rest of the day, performing charms and hexes that could/would go unnoticed by said professor for a reasonable amount of time. I know I would pay to see Mrs Roberts trip on seemingly thin air, fall in a how'd-that-get-there pile of mud, walk around for half a day with her skirt exposing all to the world... oh I hated that woman.

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    I know this would fall into the category of 'the Simpsons did it', but maybe Sirius could run a break-up service. We all know he was charming and a little silver-tongued. Maybe he could charge someone a couple Sickles (enough for a butterbeer), or even up to a Galleon or two (depending on the duration of the couple's relationship), to remove the discomfort of calling it quits for his hapless classmates.

He wouldn't need to be a 'ladies man', stereotypical!Sirius, but it would be a fun way to make money for him, which would also provide endless amusement for Prongs. Behind Head Girl Lily's back, of course - I somehow think she'd disapprove, even if she was dating James at the time.

Just a thought, and it may or may not be stupid, but if you're looking for something humourous that has Sirius written all over it, then that's what I've got.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.
    Just remembered -- doesn't Mr Weasley... dang, well, someone, whom I'm almost sure I remember being an adult, give Harry a firewhiskey near the beginning of DH? The overprotective mother Mrs Weasley is, I always assumed that the coming of age age was the bottom line age -- no smoking at eighteen and drinking at twenty one like Muggles.
    Yeah that's not in a pub though. Also you need to bear in mind that in the UK the legal drinking age - in pubs - is 18 - not 21. Smoking is 16 (although that may have changed recently). We 'come of age' at 18 in this country - 21 isn't a huge deal - except you can get a decent present hopefully. You can drink, in the UK, in resturants and in your own home - legally from a fairly young age as long as your parents buy you the alcohol.

Okay, he won't accept money from James, and I'm not sure if he's going to threaten people exactly - that's extortion ... so that could come under the idea of something he dismisses.

I like the idea of hexing enemies (Revenge squad - ha ha). That could work for a while.

Jess - ha ha. I love his 'break-up service' It's year six at the moment though, so Lily might not be quite so responsible.

Thank you for the suggestions.

OOOH! Year five OWL students ... desperate for good luck charms? Hmmm, Mr Black would be a great con man.

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    Ah, sorry, you're right, I've come to the same conclusion (I have seventeen-year-old Hannah working as a barmaid).

I think sixteen-year-olds can legally drink in pubs so long as they don't buy the alcohol and it's with a meal.

Here are a few ideas for other jobs:
    Owlery cleaner for the Wizarding Postal Service.
    Dishwasher at a pub or restaurant.
    Waiter
    Shopworker
    Experimental Potion and Pill Tester for St Mungo's its well paid, just sign the disclaimer here:
    "Now all we need to do is prevent the excessive flatulence."
    "It's not supposed to taste nice, you've swallowed a suppository."

Neil

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    Um, I've got a question...

I know Sirius went to live with James and his parents when he was sixteen, but was that before sixth year started, or before their seventh year?

Thanks!

-Nadia

{iBAbanner!} ~♥~ {iDrabble!} ~♥~ {iExcerpt!} ~♥~ {iPuff!}

Awesomical banner by TM_WandStick/Toni!
    Chapter 12 up!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

I might be absolutely wrong here, but I think it must be before the sixth year. He must have been eleven before his first year, so he must have been sixteen before his sixth year and turned seventeen during that year at some point. Unless he was a late child like Harry and had his birthday in his holidays - I think you do have some leeway here, if you want him to move in after the sixth year, though that would only be for a short stretch of time then, since he'd be seventeen a couple of weeks (at the most) later... and I'm not sure if he would have bothered to... bother his friend's parents in that case. He might rather have stuck around in some Muggle place until school started/he turned seventeen...

I'm rambling - I'd say it was before his sixth year.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    I agree with Kara that it was before the sixth year that he left home. So that'd be the summer between fifth and sixth years.

I think sixteen-year-olds can legally drink in pubs so long as they don't buy the alcohol and it's with a meal.
    I think it's younger than sixteen. I remember being fourteen and having a drink with my meal. At a private party the age is five, and with a meal I think it's thirteen or fourteen. It might even be twelve, I'm not sure.

EDIT: I've just checked and it's sixteen. Hmm. I'm sure that's been changed recenty because I was defnintely allowed a drink with a meal at fourteen.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!