The other thread filled up quickly. Please continue your discussions about Sirius Black here.

Last posts:

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox Chick
I mean, maybe he wasn't even able to produce a Patronus after Azkaban... I dunno.
*sighs as Kara has just pre-empted one of my plots*

Regarding Animagus/Patronus forms. We have very little evidence, because the only Animagus we see cast a Patronus is McGonagall. James, we're told by Harry (and JKR later) had the same for both.

However what leads me to believe that the Animagus and Patronus forms are not always the same is that the Patronus can change. Tonks' changes from something to a wolf (her representation of Remus who she loves and thinks of as her protector). At first I thought her Patronus could change because she's a Metamorphmagus, but Remus says anyone's can change.

I'm also thinking that Snape's Animagus form wouldn't have been a doe ... it's nothing like his personality.

Okay, some more questions about the lovely Mr Black.

He leaves home at 16 and stays with the Potters. When he comes of age he inherits some money from his Uncle Alphard. What do you think he does for money in the meantime?

I think he'd feel very uncomfortable taking money off the Potters - do you agree?

So he needs to earn money. I have one or two ideas for my story, but I'd like some wacky as well as decent suggestions for Padfoot to consider. (legal? illegal? Up to you)

~Carole~
Quote Originally Posted by A.H.
I think he'd feel very uncomfortable taking money off the Potters - do you agree?

I do. I think he would do all he could to make up for it -- helping then with dinner, dishes, cleaning, fixing things, yard work. He would probably go out of his way to pull his weight around the house, and maybe volunteer to do extra things for them, like... building... things? I don't know.

In one story, long abandoned, I imagined Mrs Potter being extremely angry with Sirius' parents and writing a flurry of angry letters, ending with a visit, until they made an honest effort to help their son at least financially. I think James got his endless perseverance from somewhere, and Mrs Potter forcing the Blacks to cough up gold for at least his education (school supplies) seems likely, to me. We know the Potters were financially well off, but I imagined it being the principal of the thing.

Whether Sirius would have wanted that or not -- well I don't think he would have. But I don't see that as deterrent to an angry mother.

So he needs to earn money. I have one or two ideas for my story, but I'd like some wacky as well as decent suggestions for Padfoot to consider. (legal? illegal? Up to you)

Maybe he would have worked at a bar (muggle or magical) during the summer? At sixteen it's unlikely the Potters would have allowed it, but there's always sneaking out. (And dozens of ways a young wizard could trick a muggle barkeep.) Working among crowds of drunk muggles also opens up possibilities... maybe he would have sold innocuous-looking magical paraphernalia, reminiscent of one Fred and one George Weasley. But he's broke, so where would he get the items in the first place? Right, I'm not too creative.

I don't think that was too helpful.

Edit: I suggest a bar, rather than shop or restaurant, because a night job just seems more likely to me (although I don't know what night life is like in England -- are there restaurants and the like open?).

Oh -- well if he flies in your story, he could opt to tutor younger children. Maybe James already does this as a summer job, and Sirius jumps on board? If you want it humorous, he could have no talent flying. "Lean forward! Atta boy! Keep going, that tree is yards off -- slow down?! HOW WOULD I KNOW HOW TO SLOW THE THING! ABANDON BROOM, ABANDON BROOM!" xD Sorry.
Quote Originally Posted by Equinox Chick
I actually meant more at Hogwarts. In my story, Sirius has a girlfriend but doesn't have pocket money - as such - so can't afford things like presents, dates etc etc. He left GP with some money, but that's running out. What I suppose I'm looking for is ideas for him to consider - rather like the Twins were making money selling tricks ( but I don't want Sirius to do that)

That's a good point about the education expenses. It hadn't quite registered with me, but I imagined that he'd be under a similar deal to Tom Riddle who had his expenses paid ... or else the Blacks just had to pay up and had no choice. That's sparked a minor Walburga plot in my head ... hmmm. Thanks Ari.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari
although I don't know what night life is like in England -- are there restaurants and the like open?).
Well in 1976 ish, pubs closed at 11pm at weekends and 10.30 during the week (I think). They weren't open all day. Resturants possibly had more freedom to open later.

Our licensing laws are much more relaxed now and a lot of pubs are open all day until midnight - or later if they get an extension/ rambling off point.