Thread: Snape and Lily Pre-Hogwarts Timeline

Hybrid View

A.H.

Snape and Lily Pre-Hogwarts Timeline

I'm appropriately ashamed of having to ask, seeing as I took/stalked the MWPP classroom for quite a while. >.>

I'm currently working on a one-shot about Petunia and I don't want to throw in any lines about Lily that might not be appropriate to the year. Petunia is ten at the time.

When did Severus begin watching Lily (is it said, or is there a general age that's implied)?
    When did Severus approach Lily for the first time? [ages]
    Is there/how much of an age difference is there between Lily and Petunia?
    Is anything ever said about the Evans girl's parents?

Of all the times I've reread the books, DH is the only one that I've read only once. >.<

psijupiter
    When did Severus begin watching Lily (is it said, or is there a general age that's implied)?

When Severus does approach Lily, Petunia calls him "that Snape boy" so it is likely that the two families have been aware of each other since the children were born, especially as Lily and Severus are the same age. Also, the Snape family may be subject to some gossip. Severus has the general appearance of a neglected child, and if his parents fight and shout a lot, that will carry through the walls, so people would have lots to gossip about.

As for when he began watching Lily, I got the impression from the books that he had been watching Lily for some time before he approached her, when his age is stated as "nine or ten." So whever you think would be a reasonable age for Lily to show some signs of magic that Severus would notice and therefore start watching her. She has quite a bit of control of her magic by the age of nine or ten, so perhaps she first showed signs around seven or eight?

When did Severus approach Lily for the first time? [ages]

"Snape looked no more than nine or ten years old, sallow, small, stringy." Both Lily and Severus were born in January 1960. I would lean towards nine, as they have developed a close friendship by the time they go off to Hogwarts at age 11.

Is there/how much of an age difference is there between Lily and Petunia?

The HP wiki puts Petunia's birth year as 1958, and Lily's as 1960. So two years, or under, depending on what month Petunia was born in.

Is anything ever said about the Evans girl's parents?

They were supposed to be quite proud of having a witch for a daughter. In DH, they are described as taking in Platform 9 and 3/4 with an "air of wholehearted enjoyment." I don't think we know anything other than that.