Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sarah's Back and Available!

TheCursedQuill

Sarah's Back and Available!

Very Available!

Welcome to my first PI-accredited beta page! I'm really excited to be getting back into beta'ing, I have a lot of fun doing it and it keeps be sharp and alert with my own writing! So not only will I be helping you, but you'll be helping me too So if you have anything at all to be looked at, I'm the one for you!

Username: TheCursedQuill/Sarah

Genre: I'll take on any genre!

Ships: I will do anything EXCEPT student/professor.

Rating and Warnings: Any rating and warning.

One Shot or Chaptered: I am accepting both at the moment.

Turn Around Time/Availability:
    Drabble - 1-3 days

One-Shot - 2-5 days

I beta chaptered fics one chapter at a time and will send each one back within 2-5 days. You can decide whether you want to send me a bunch of chapters at once, or go one by one, but keep in mind if you send many chapters at once you will only be returned one chapter roughly every week.

Contest Submissions close to the deadline will take priority! Please state whether or not your fic is for a contest (this includes weekly drabbles) and when the contest closes.

Permanent Y/N: It's up to you! If you would like me to only beta one chapter of your fic, that's fine, or if you'd like to keep me around for the entire fic, that's good also!

Strengths: Dialogue, Apostrophes, Characterization with both OC's (I look for Mary-Sue's/Stu's) and OOCness. I'm good with comma problems, but I'm not a master of them. I also comment on plot and awkward sentances.

Weaknesses: Though I do believe my grammar is good, it's not the best. There is always room for improvement and I try to learn something new everyday!

Style: I use track changes and/or colour changes. I like to work close with my authors so expect lots of emails and please ask any questions as to why I did a certain thing, or just general plot help questions and the like!

Method of Contact: You can request for a story to be beta'd here, and upon accepting I will PM you with my email. It is up to you whether you want to stay in contact through email or PM's, I check both inboxes everyday! I also have AIM and if you wish to speak with me that way, we can work out a time!

Other Information/Qualifications: PI:5604525794. I am currently studying English and Religion in University, so I know a little about different cultures around the world. I took a Grammar and Marauder's class the term before last so can help you with that era as well! As an ex-SPEWer I will look at your stories in the viewpoint of a reviewer/critic which I think could be very helpful. I'm looking forward to reading your stories, so please request!

Please use this form to request! Note that I have asked whether I am a first or second beta! You may wish to use another beta, as two is always better than one, but please state if this is your case or if I will be the only beta.

PHP Code:
    [b]UserName/Preferred Name:[/b
    [
    b]Story:[/b
    [
    b]Genre:[/b
    [
    b]Ships:[/b]  
    [
    b]Rating and Warnings:[/b
    [
    b]Expected/Word Count:[/b
    [
    b]One Shot or Chaptered:[/b
    [
    b]Permanent Y/N:[/b
    [
    b]First or Second beta:[/b]
    [
    b]Summary:[/b

Hope to hear from you,
    -Sarah

sorrow_of_severus
    b]UserName/Preferred Name:[/b] sorrow_of_severus/Laura
    Story: On the Defensive (it's linked in the banner)
    Genre: Romance
    Ships: Rose/Scorpius
    Rating and Warnings: 3rd-5th years; DH Spoilers
    Expected/Word Count: 1505 words
    One Shot or Chaptered: Chaptered
    Permanent Y/N: No
    First or Second beta: Second
    Summary:

sorrow_of_severus
    For some reason, the boards won't let me edit my post, so the summary is as follows.

He never was sure why he went to that first meeting. He gave different answers to different audiences. To some, he claimed it was to show that he was different from his father, to break with the family legacy. To others, he said that with ambitions like his, he thought it wise to take advantage of another opportunity to practice for Defense Against the Dark Arts. To yet others, he told that he had been bored that night, and welcomed the chance of an interesting diversion.

Perhaps it was one of those things. Perhaps it was none of them. Perhaps it was a combination of the three.

Perhaps it had something to do with the most infuriating, distracting mane of red hair at all of Hogwarts.

~*~

Scorpius Malfoy got a lot more than he bargained for when he went to the first meeting of the newly revived DA -- a large bruise, distraction, and a very angry family, to name a few things. Gradually, it would become apparent that he gained something, something like friendship and perhaps more.

Would he be ready to embrace it? Would it be worth it?

Queen of Foals Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Hi Sarah! This fic started as the Slytherin QWC entry in the last QWC. We didn't finish it but another team member, jubjub15 (Lydia), and I have worked on it for the last two months to get it done.

UserName/Preferred Name: the opaleye (Julia)
    Story: It doesn't have a title as of yet
    Genre: General (it's a Quidditch match)
    Ships: None are central to the plot but Hermione/Ron, Harry/Ginny and Hermione/Viktor are mentioned.
    Rating and Warnings: 1st-2nd years with Mild Profanity maybe and violence at a stretch. Some advice on this would be appreciated.
    Expected/Word Count: ~4100
    One Shot or Chaptered: One-shot
    Permanent Y/N: No. Just for this fic
    First or Second beta: First
    Summary: (This is not an official summary). It is the first QWC to be held since Voldemort's demise. Zacharias Smith has been appointed as the commentator for the final match of England versus Bulgaria. However, this is the first professional Quidditch match that Smith has ever seen. Will he and his ever-annoying smirk survive?

The other two authors who worked on the first half of the fic are beautiful disaster and bellatrix-black-lestrange. It is probably going to be quite a bit of work but we are in no hurry to submit so there is no time-pressure. I really hope you can take this on!

Julia XD

Banner by me. Icon from toreadabook on lj.

TheCursedQuill
    I'd love to take both of these for you guys! A PM has already been sent with my email!

It would be some help to both of us if in your email you could write something that you really want me to look at in your fic. I know for you, Julia, you would like some advice on the violence in your story, and if you have anything specific, Laura I could look at it for you! If there's nothing in particular, don't worry about it

Thanks for choosing me! I'm so excited to get at them!

-Sarah

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck

UserName/Preferred Name: Kuri
    Story: The Voice
    Ships: McGonagall/OC
    Rating and Warnings: 6th-7th Year; Suicide, Mild Language
    Expected/Word Count: Less than 4000
    One Shot or Chaptered: One-Shot
    Permanent Y/N: Sure
    Summary: She met him once a year. It all started with a chance encounter on a bridge. She listens to his problems and sees it as a drink. Perhaps he sees something more.

Currently being Revised

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck

UserName/Preferred Name: Kuri
    Story: A Blank Canvas
    Ships: OC/OC
    Rating and Warnings: Abuse (mild), Character Death, Mild Profanity, Sexual Situations, Violence
    Expected/Word Count: N/A But it takes ages to update so ...
    Permanent Y/N: Yes
    Summary:

Charlotte DeLuca has held on to dark secrets for a long time. Although she gained respect through perseverance and hard work, she hid a part of her image. In the light of a wizarding war, she works as a professor at one of the most prestigious universities. She cannot hold her silence any longer. Can she reveal the truth without shattering her image?

Note: Like I said, this hasn't been updated since January (jeez...) but I really want someone on it. You're in SPEW, so ... honesty. It takes me forever to update, so you won't be hounded with chapters. I put the link there so that you can get an idea if you care to check.

Critique: Plot, Chacterisation, Storyline, Grammar

Black_Rose
    UserName/Preferred Name: Blackrose101 on MNFF, call me Rose though
    Story: Before it's too late
    Genre: Romance/Adventure
    Ships: Draco/OC
    Rating and Warnings: 3rd-5th years. DH spoilers, violence (The odd unforgivable curse here and there)
    Expected/Word Count: 1500-2000 per chapter. Overall estimation 40,000
    Permanent Y/N: We'll see how it goes for both of us but probally yes

Summary: Sandra Lyons is eighteen and a rare talented animagus. She starts to have visions of a young wizard by the name of Draco Malfoy performing grim tasks for the dark Lord. Sandra believes that he needs her help and goes on an epic quest of love, hate and betrayal to find and protect Draco to the best of her abilities.

The only question is; will her abilities be enough?

Anything else: The fic is set in the HBP and DH, mostly DH though. Also, for Sandra to get close to Draco she becomes part of Hogwarts staff. This is not dwelled on in the book though and it's only to get Amycus Carrow to despise her Just so you know

TheCursedQuill
    Hey Rose! I'd love to do this for you! I'm PMing you my email right now

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    RedSarah! I've been meaning to request something off you for ages!

UserName/Preferred Name: Sapphire at Dawn/Sarah/GoldSarah
    Story: Swept Away. That's at the moment. The name is open to change as I'm not sure it quite fits.
    Ships: Cho/Random Muggle and mentions of Cho/Cedric, Cho/Harry and Cho/Michael.
    Rating and Warnings: 1st-2nd years and none.
    Expected/Word Count: at the mo it's 1200 but I'm adding a bit more after I've taken a break. Probably be nearer 2000 by the time I've finished.
    One Shot or Chaptered:
    Permanent Y/N: N
    Summary: Cho won't be bearing the name of Chang much longer; it's the day before her wedding and as she arrives at the little church her fiance has picked, she realises that she's been there before. Tucked away in a quite corner of the churchyard is a grave that she hasn't visited for many years.
    Anything else: This is for the OC forum thingy challenge, and I chose the third prompt, the one about the wedding.

Thanks!

GoldSarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!