Closed Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a Moderator - Part 20

Ultimate Cosmic Power Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Aunt Marge Makes A Better Blimpe...
    I don't think the answer is on the site anywhere, it's a bit of a strange issue but it's by no means unique.

Whilst MNFF technically holds some rights to your fiction, in the fact that you've agreed to place it on our site, you are the author and I'm sure no one here will restrict you from consenting to it being used elsewhere. Many authors publish their stories on many fanfiction sites so it would seem a bit hypocritical of us not to let you. The danger lies only in the fact that your story will be translated into a language you do not understand, so you cannot validate it and you may be putting your name to something that doesn't closely resemble your original story. That or your translator may claim your work as his. These are only small warnings though, I'm sure most of these people just want to pass on the fantastic stories they read to people who are less comfortable reading English. I just ask you to be careful and prepared.

As far as MNFF's rights, I think we would claim a right to your story only if we had to move our database for some reason, and that would be only a basic right which the author would be able to deny and take down their fiction if they did not want it to be wherever we had placed it.

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Bowing To Buckbeak
    Uhm Hi!

I submitted a one-shot under Same Sex category on the 8th, and it hasn't been validated as yet.

Thanks,
    Natalie.
    ]

Banner by BELLA THE HELLA. <3

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    Natalie, the story has been validated now. Sorry for the delay.

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    I'm not sure if this is just my computer or if it's something I should suggest in the suggestion forum, but here goes.
    I was not logged in this morning when I clicked on a story. There was a warning on it that needed me to login so it took me to the login screen and I logged in. But then it took me to my account screen and not back to the story, so I had to track it down again. The same thing happens if I'm logged out and read something and then want to review - I sign in but I I have to track down the story again.
    So my question is: is this just something my computer does and is there a way around it? Do I just need to always log in first to solve it? Or would this be a suggestion for the archive, to be able to go back to the previous page after logging in?
    I hope that makes sense and doesn't make you want to poke your eyes out.
    Thanks!
    ~Gina
    EDIT: It doesn't have to do with the 'Remember me' button, that works fine. But if I'm on another computer (*coughworkcough*) or my computer logs me out after a reboot or something, that's when I hit the snag. And obviously I can just log in and hit 'remember me' again but sometimes I think I AM logged in and I'm not and that's when I have to go track down what I was doing again. I was just wondering if there is a way to tweak the site to log in and go back to whatever you were doing. I'm a pain, I know. :P

TheCursedQuill
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmariam
    So my question is: is this just something my computer does and is there a way around it? Do I just need to always log in first to solve it? Or would this be a suggestion for the archive, to be able to go back to the previous page after logging in?
    I hope that makes sense and doesn't make you want to poke your eyes out.
    The same thing happens to me, so it is not just your computer! Sometimes it helps if I check the box that says something like "remember me", but I always get logged out anyways. I just wanted to voice that I have the same problems and it would be greatly appreciated if MNFF could fix this somehow!

-Sarah

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Bowing To Buckbeak
    Originally posted by Sarah:
    The same thing happens to me, so it is not just your computer! Sometimes it helps if I check the box that says something like "remember me", but I always get logged out anyways. I just wanted to voice that I have the same problems and it would be greatly appreciated if MNFF could fix this somehow!
    For some time, I couldn't leave reviews or respond to them. But after I started using "Remember me", everything's been working well. So, Gina, you could try that.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot only Moderators are allowed to answer the questions posted here. But I am unable to delete my post.
    ]

Banner by BELLA THE HELLA. <3

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    The "remember me" button {as far as I know, so I could be wrong} uses a small cookie on your computer to "remember" your log in information.

Switching to a computer that is not your normal, will not have that "cookie". Also, cookies, such as these, are generally deleted when you close your browser, reboot and, I believe, time sensitive.

I myself have the issue of having to relog in at times and I never use another computer, very rarely reboot or close my browser. My laptop is always connected to the internet.

While I completely understand it is frustrating to be ready to read a story and have to stop, log in again and then find the story, it happens to all of us.

Clicking the "remember me" button solves most problems with being logged out, but it isn't something that works every time without fail. Technology has its quirks and this is one of them.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I've been re-reading one of my fics and I'd quite like to change some of the chapter titles. If I do this, will I lose the reviews attached to them?

The chapters currently have the Chapter number in front of them ie:

Chapter 3 - Bad Title
    Chapter 4 - An equally bad title.
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    Carole,
    I can go in through the admin panel and change chapter titles without effecting the story. At least I know where to go to do that. I haven't actually tried it.

If you PM me the story and chapter names you want changed and what you want them changed to, I will change them for you.

PS... Happy Birthday, hon!
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

10. 03-22-2010, 06:50 PM

11. 03-24-2010, 12:35 AM

Dorkalecki Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare

Problems reviewing

So, I sat down to do my SPEW reviews (ebil procrastinator that I am), and I finished a nice, long, glowing review.

But, to my horror, surprise, lament, and general annoyance, I got an error message that said "Method Not Implemented". Now, I have no idea what that means exactly, but I do know that it would not allow me to leave a review. I have my review saved in Word, so there's no harm done, but I just wanted to know if there is some sort of server issue of which you are already aware and I am not, as well as whether anyone has an idea when it will be fixed. It would suck if my first month in SPEW was messed up because I procrastinated and the e-Gods punished me for it with this, lol.

Any assistance rendered would be fantastic, and as always, thank you for your time.

Jess

EDIT: 14 hours later - still broken. It's a '501' message, but it still says 'Method Not Implemented'.

EDIT #2: It's been a day, and still, this particular fic will not let me post a review. I reviewed a different fic with no problem whatsoever, but the one I'm trying to review, A True Weasley by ahattab33, will simply not allow me to get past 'Method Not Implemented'. I am entirely baffled.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

QSQ-worthy banner by Minna / minnabird.

13. 03-30-2010, 02:43 PM

14. 03-31-2010, 07:47 AM

15. 03-31-2010, 10:33 AM

Closed Thread