Thread: Mental Magic?

ThomasPillar

Mental Magic?

I'm having a tough time thinking of different types of mental magic in HP. I know about occulmency/legilimenc, imperius, obliviate, and how Dumbledore stores memories in the pensieve. Anything else I haven't thought of?

Any ideas of different things I could sort of create?

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasPillar
    I'm having a tough time thinking of different types of mental magic in HP. I know about occulmency/legilimenc, imperius, obliviate, and how Dumbledore stores memories in the pensieve. Anything else I haven't thought of?

I've seen instances in various fics where the author uses Legilimency as a sort of telepathy (I've used it myself, actually). It involves focusing the mind on one particular thought that you want to convey (sort of selective Occlumency - shut out everything but one or a small group of ideas), and then some sort of bodily contact (hand on face, usually) starts the connection. This would require adequate knowledge and skill with wandless magic, though, and if your character is still in school, chances are, he/she might not be able to do this yet. I think a wand might work, as well (never tried it), so I guess you could poke/prod that idea as you like to make it fit your purposes.

Oh, and don't forget the Confundus Charm, or else, Ron might not make the Quidditch team.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

TheCursedQuill
    The idea of hypnosis came to my mind actually, and I think it might be something really interesting to look deeper into. I guess it would be sort of like the Imperius Curse, only perhaps there could be a way to do that without a wand? To make it more like hypnosis...

And many wizards know when they have been put under the Imperius Curse, so with a type of hypnosis, the wizard who is being controlled probably wouldn't ever know what actually happened unless someone told them they were hypnotized.

-Sarah

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Something else that comes to my mind is the practice of Voodoo. A lot of the magic involves manipulating the victim to do whatever the caster wants. They can manipulate peoples' dreams, create semi-conscious slaves (at least how I see it existing in the Potterverse).

In my stories, a lot of people see the practice of Voodoo as being almost Dark, because practicioners are allowed to maniplate others through the art, and often without them knowing, yet it is not against the law.

In one of my stories, there is a potion made from pufferfish liver that can put athe drinker into a semi-conscious state, and a highly suggestable state in which they they do whatever the caster tells them, and often not remember anything of what happened once the Potion wears off.

A lot of people see this as a was around using the Impervious Curse, but Voodoo practicioners are allowed to still use these potions because they are a part of their magical tradition.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    The Giant Spider is Hagrid's... Friend?!?
    ...It came to me the other day that Cheering Charms might be seen as Mental Magic. So maybe more stuff like that - spells to make people mad, sad, scared, etc.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    There are also a great many Potions created to mess with peoples heads, though I'm not quite sure this is the type of 'mental magic' you had in mind, it is still something to consider. Altering the body's natural chemistry is essentially what the whole practice of Potions is all about.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!