Thread: Sexuality.

ThomasPillar

Sexuality.

I apologize if this question has been answered already.

I was trying to work on an OC and I was just wondering how students at Hogwarts would react to an openly gay or bisexual student/couple. Any theories?

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasPillar
    I apologize if this question has been answered already.

I was trying to work on an OC and I was just wondering how students at Hogwarts would react to an openly gay or bisexual student/couple. Any theories?

If I were to venture a guess, I"d think that the students from older, more traditional families would not accept it as readily as students that have had more exposure to Muggle culture's relative acceptance of it. Muggle-born students would probably be more open to the concept, whereas the pure-blood crowd may not, considering their archaic values and bigotry about so many other things (blood status, namely).
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Inverarity
    This is another one of those questions that really has no canon answer. However, in most other things, wizarding society seems to reflect Muggle society, so it's likely that wizards share the same prejudices Muggles do, to some extent.

One can make an argument either way regarding the attitudes of purebloods. On the one hand, religion doesn't seem to play much part in the wizarding world, and it's likely that purebloods would be less religious, not more, than Muggle-borns. So they wouldn't have as much of a tradition of Church teachings that homosexuality is wrong. On the other hand, since purebloods tend to be conservative and concerned about propriety and bloodllines, homosexuality may well be seen as deviating from the norm, and interfering with one's family duties.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    As Inverarity says there's really no canon answer to this, but bear in mind that in some respects the wizarding world is far more open than the Muggle world.

Whilst blood status is seen as an issue - race is not. Dean, Angelina, Cho, Parvati, Padma and Kingsley are of different races, yet it's never commented on. There is prejudice against cross-species though (Hagrid, Madam Maxim, Fleur).

I think with sexuality there would be a tolerence in the wizarding society, but at the same time there are always going to be characters like Narcissa and probably Molly, who want grandchildren and 'normality'.

At Hogwarts I would imagine it depends a lot on the era you're writing. In the trio era, there was still a lot of emphasis on girl/boy dating and the attractiveness of the opposite sex. Perhaps it might be more open in Next Gen era. But basically every couple whether straight or gay would be subjected to some form of teasing. Where this crosses into bullying is largely down to your story.

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird