Thread: Constructing a Time Turner

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!

Constructing a Time Turner

We all know that while in the Ministry of magic, Harry and his friends destroyed the Ministries supply of Time Turners, but what I wonder is just how difficult is it build them. One would think that if all of the Ministry's Time Turners were destroyed, they would have at least tried to have some new ones commissioned. But what I wonder is just how difficult would it be to build one. Is it the sort of thing that takes years to construct? The Ministry has several of them, so one would assume they aren't just some arcane object that was stumbled upon in a dark cave. What I wonder is just how the Ministry would go about rebuilding their supply of Time Turners and how long it would take.

What about all of you? What do you all think?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    In purely physical terms, the Time-Turner is just a little hourglass. It wouldn't take much time to simply make the physical hourglass.

However, it is the spellwork on that hourglass that is undoubtedly very difficult, expensive, and time-consuming. Or the hourglass might be dipped in a potion that is difficult and takes a long time to make. Or perhaps the hourglass uses a special sand in which every individual grain has to be charmed.

In any case, making a Time-Turner will likely be very difficult.

Tim the Enchanter

psijupiter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Enchanter
    Or perhaps the hourglass uses a special sand in which every individual grain has to be charmed.
    I really, really love this idea. I can just imagine it happening, and I can also imagine the wizarding world having some wonderful sayings/phrases about it. It would also make sense, as it would mean larger/more powerful time turners would be more expensive and difficult.

You could probably make making a time turner about as complicated as you like. Perhaps the individually charmed sand is used to make the glass as well as to put inside it, and it has to be made over magic fire (Phoenix fire?)

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Maybe you have to charm the sand grain by grain, and that's what makes the charm work. And that would certainly be a long and redundant process!

But what do you all think would be a suitable amount of time to pass before the Ministry would have Time Turners once again?

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

Actually I always thought of the Time Turners as a kind of project that the Unspeakables once had – maybe to research the properties of time.. .And the Time Turners were something that almost accidentally/coincidentally resulted from their research as kind of a byproduct. Then the Ministry thought they could be useful and decided to keep them...

In that case, I don't see them ever being re-developed again. Because, honestly, time-travelling can go wrong in so many ways... Maybe rather than work on Time Turners, they'd invest in developing useful schedules at Hogwarts so that students don't need them anymore, and then what would be a legit use of them for the Ministry?

But, since you're asking for a number... If they already know how Time Turners are made, I'd go for a bit more than a year; if the process of how the charm works/what potion the sand has to be cooked in/... has to be rediscovered, I think it would take an expert team about five years to produce the first new working time turner.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Inverarity
    I think we have to assume Time-Turners are pretty darned rare, or wizards would be using them all the time. They are undoubtedly difficult to make, and I'm not sure the Ministry would want to have a stockpile of them lying around.

But let's face it, giving a Time-Turner to a thirteen-year-old so she can take extra classes was the sort of thing that only works in a children's book. If you want to be remotely realistic, who in their right mind would give a teenager access to time travel?

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    I agree with the unlikelihood of giving a teenager a time travel device, but to Jo's credit, she did say that McGonagall had a heck of a time getting the Ministry to agree to it.

In terms of how they're made, one device that I've seen that I thought was pure genius was the idea that the sand within the hourglass was not charmed or man-made; it was actually miniscule amounts of the Sands of Time, which only exists in finite amounts and must be found, not created. The spillage of the sand is what caused the temporal flux of the cabinet in the Department of Mysteries shattering and repairing itself. The sand was not under control.

The actual hourglass itself would be a charmed object, I'd think, in order to properly channel the properties of the sand, much like a wand channels and helps control a wizard's magic.

While I agree that it would be a bad idea to actually make more Time-Turners, I think that they would be made again, because as people, we're just too curious about things that we shouldn't mess with.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Who do you think it was that even created the Time Turners for the Ministry of Magic? Do you think it was the Unspeakables, or someone else?

Do you think other countries have the ability to create their own Time Turners, or do you feel like it is a limit knowledge? How limited?

And just how long do you think Time Turners have been around?

Brand New Story!

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Originally posted by Molly

Who do you think it was that even created the Time Turners for the Ministry of Magic? Do you think it was the Unspeakables, or someone else?
    I thought it was the job of the Unspeakables to play with the mysteries of the universe including time. Though I suppose someone else could have invented them before the Unspeakables, but it'd have to be someone really brilliant and really obsessed.

Do you think other countries have the ability to create their own Time Turners, or do you feel like it is a limit knowledge? How limited?
    I would imagine the more powerful and rich countries would have Time Turners or something similar. I don't think any government who could get into the power of time wouldn't if they had the money and manpower to do so.

And just how long do you think Time Turners have been around?
    Hermoine says that "loads" of witches and wizards had killed or been killed by their past or future selves, that to me implies at least twenty, maybe closer to fifty years. Long enough for people to fully realize how problematic it is to play with time.

Elven Egyptian Princess
    I like watching sports