Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Being British XII

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Sorry, this might seem like a simplistic question, but I don't want to get this wrong.

What colour are taxi cabs typically in Britain? The location isn't in London; it's in Oxford, or does it matter?
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

psijupiter
    Living in Oxford, I can tell you taxi cabs are black here, generally, which I believe is true across most of the country. (EDIT In the interests of accuracy, having since looked this up out of curiosity, it seems that different cities have wildly varying colous of black cabs. So, er, London and Oxford - black, other places may need some more research. ) I have seen a dark red one and a dark green one, but these are rare. Hope that helps.

I don't know if this is the same in the US, but I thought I would mention anyway: only taxis (black cabs) may be hailed by customers and picked up off the street. Minicabs cannot accept fares that have not been booked in advance. Minicabs are just normal cars, although they will generally have the name and number of the company on the side.

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Oh, that was exactly what I needed. There was just so much info out there, plus far too many different types of cars for hire, just not something as simple as what colour they are, lol. The prices are ridiculous, as well.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    They're black, Jess.

London taxi cabs are black, although you can hire mini-cabs which can be any colour as they're normal cars.

United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    It is illegal to sell tobacco to anyone under the age of 18 in England and Wales[20] or in Scotland[21] (increased from 16 on 1 October 2007). Police constables and park keepers in uniform have a duty to confiscate tobacco or cigarettes from persons aged under 16 found smoking in a public place.[22]
    The minimum age in Northern Ireland has been raised from 16 to 18 years on the 1st of September 2008.[citation needed]
    It is, however, legal to smoke tobacco products from the age of 16 onwards, it is only illegal for shops to sell tobacco products to people under the age of 18.
    Although Wikipedia is renowned for being wrong on several occasions, I can attest to having had a pack of ten taken off me when I was under 16. Perhaps the copper was just trying to snatch them for himself.
    This is a confusing issue. I can't find a definitive answer as to whether you can legally smoke under the age of sixteen. Drink, however, you can consume with parental consent from something ridiculous like the age of four.

~Carole~

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye

psijupiter
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinox Chick
    Although Wikipedia is renowned for being wrong on several occasions, I can attest to having had a pack of ten taken off me when I was under 16. Perhaps the copper was just trying to snatch them for himself.
    This is a confusing issue. I can't find a definitive answer as to whether you can legally smoke under the age of sixteen.
    I have raided the CAB for info.

The law on the age at which you can drink alcohol is complicated. Before the age of 18, you are not allowed to buy alcohol in pubs or shops, drink alcohol in pubs or outside in public places. It is also unlawful for anyone else to buy alcohol for you if you are under 18 and the drink will be consumed in a pub or public place.

However, if you're aged 16 or 17, you are allowed to drink wine, beer, or cider (but not other alcohol) with a meal in a restaurant, hotel or part of a pub set apart for eating meals. You can only do this if someone aged 18 or over is with you at the meal and buys the alcohol.

Any child aged five or over can drink alcohol at home or on other private premises but children under the age of five can only drink alcohol on a doctor's advice for health reasons.

It's illegal to sell cigarettes, tobacco or cigarette papers to anyone under 18.
    Smoking is more complicated. It seems that there is no actual law that restricts the age at which you can smoke - so you can legally smoke at any age. It is illegal to sell cigarettes to people under 18, (or to buy them on behalf of someone under 18) however it is not illegal for under 18's to buy cigarettes. (When I was under 16, the police came to the school to ask for volunteers to try and buy cigarettes, to prove shopkeepers were selling them to under 16s.)

However, while there is no actual law preventing you from smoking at any age, I did find this:

Police constables and park keepers in uniform have a duty to confiscate tobacco or cigarettes from persons aged under 16 found smoking in a public place.
    So that is why the copper nicked your cigarettes then Carole. But they couldn't actually arrest you for it, because you weren't breaking any law.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    I find myself needing a British translation. What would a person call a 'storefront' (basiclly just the front of a store, where are person would see all the displays and curb appeal) in British English?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    It's a shopfront, or you could just say a display/shop window.

Stores in UK are basically really,really big places like Harrods. And even then we wouldn't say storefront.

~Carole~

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye

Second Year Gryffindor
    Beset by Owls
    Hello! I have a question regarding university in England.

So in the US, college is practically a must, and most jobs won't hire you without at the very least an associate's degree, if not a bachelor's or or a master's. Most people look down on you if you don't attend college. My question is, is it the same in England?

Is University pretty much expected out of all teenagers? Is there also a rooted prestige to a college degree? What are a teenager's job prospects without attending university? Are there other options available? Also, I know that, for example, in Japan, not everybody attends Uni because the competition is so ridiculously fierce and the entrance exams grueling - is it the same in England? Are A-Levels death or are they kind of on par with SATs (although, they're two different things, so I guess it's not a great comparison).

Thank you!

-Addie

hogwartsbookworm

Mummy, Daddy.

I have a question concerning what children call their parents. I know that a mom is called Mum, and a Dad is, well, a Dad. But when British kids are little, do they call them Mummy and Daddy? Or Mama and Daddy? Or what? More particularly, if a small child is scared in the night, or hurt, would they call their Mum 'Mama'? Or is it Mummy?

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    Addie

There is no such thing as a “College Degree” in the UK. Pupils can leave school after taking their GCSE’s (the Muggle equivalent to OWLs). They can then seek work or go to college for further Education. Many companies allow “Day Release” and in the UK College could mean sixth form college where teens go to do their A levels or it could be a vocational college which teaches hairdressers and beauticians and car-mechanics and all sorts of job related courses.

About 50% of kids go to university, but many of them cannot find a decent job afterwards. Someone who left school at sixteen and went on to do a vocational qualification in plumbing, as a gas fitter or a sparky (that’s standard building slang for electrician) will usually be able to find (often well paid) work. So which college does not matter.

The only exception (in my experience) is a University degree from Oxford or Cambridge.

A levels are (in most people’s view) getting easier. I don’t know, but you need to be very smart to do more than four.

hogwartsbookworm

Mummy and Daddy (or Mammy and Daddy if you’re in the north). In the middle of the night it would be Moo-meee (sob) or Daadee (sob) (in my experience).

N

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers