Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Being British XII

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Kedgeree is a dish of smoked fish and rice. It's usually a little bit spicy and might have sultanas in it. It is a lot less popular as a breakfast dish these days unless you're in a posh hotel. It isn't an everyday breakfast, but I guess it could be served at Hogwarts. It originated from India when the British were a colonial power. You wouldn't have a side of fruit with it; it's a meal in itself.

Fruits for breakfast - Grapefruit springs to mind. These days people often have Greek yoghurt and muesli which has dried fruit in it. Or a fruit salad of pears, prunes, apricots - often served with muesli.

These are all hotel type breakfasts. For an ordinary person, I'd stick to toast with butter, or a cooked breakfast (eggs, bacon, sausages, tomatoes etc etc) or just a bowl of cereal.

~Carole~

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye

HARRYHARRYHARRYs_twin
    Hello, Britishy folk! J'ai une question!

So I've got the gist of how British law stuff works from all the answers Molly got from her question, but I need to check this to make sure on something. You lot have private law practices, right? I want to double-check before someone yells at me if I get it wrong.

*really wishes her OC hadn't decided to go to school to study law like his dad told him to*

xxSelina (I feel like all my questions are somewhat stupid. Typical, for me.)

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Selina,

Yes we have private law firms.

~Carole~

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    So if two people are fighting, what are some British words they might fling at each other, aside from the overused 'prat'? I once used the term 'jack***' but someone pointed out it didn't sound very British. Would a guy call a girl the b-word (sorry)? I'd like a few for guys, some for girls, and they don't have to be profanity.
    Thanks!
    Gina

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    A girl might call another girl the b-word, but I'm not sure whether a guy would call a girl it. Girls would probably call guys the other b-word (if you're with me?) Guys might also be called a d*ck (which is another name for a male *ahem* in case you weren't familiar - sorry I'm not actually this prudish lol - just trying not to say too much on an open forum!) by both other guys and girls if they were behaving like prats or being stupid. I would often use prat or idiot if it wasn't something too big a deal, or else just tell someone they're very annoying (I'm tame with my arguing words).

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Gina
    I once used the term 'jack***' but someone pointed out it didn't sound very British.
    ahem, was that me?

Uh, I second what Hannah has said, but there's also pr*ck, or tw*t (to rhyme with hat). There guy references.

If the fight isn't too nasty and the era is post 70's then you could use the term 'muppet'.

Carole

hpjunkie09

Do Brits mow the lawn?

I'm starting a new story and I really like an idea I had of Snape finding Hermione doing something ridiculously Muggle, such as mowing the lawn. So I was wondering if in Britain people mow their own lawn, do they get someone to do it for them, or do they even have much of a lawn. Thanks for you help!

psijupiter
    Quote Originally Posted by hpjunkie09
    I'm starting a new story and I really like an idea I had of Snape finding Hermione doing something ridiculously Muggle, such as mowing the lawn. So I was wondering if in Britain people mow their own lawn, do they get someone to do it for them, or do they even have much of a lawn. Thanks for you help!
    People in Britian tend to mow their own lawn. I've read a lot of American stories where young kids go around offering to mow lawns to earn money, but I've never seen or heard of that happening here.

If you live in a city you are unlikely to have (much) of a lawn unless you are quite wealthy. Hermione's family seem fairly middle class to me, so I can imagine them living in a middle class town, which would almost certainly have a lawn of some sort. A smallish one in the front and then a larger lawn out the back? They are almost certainly not rich enough to employ a gardener to do any kind of work for them.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by psijupiter
    They are almost certainly not rich enough to employ a gardener to do any kind of work for them.
    Actually I'd disagree with this. They're both dentists, and dentists can earn a lot of money - even if they're National Health and not Private. Also employing a gardener once or twice a week wouldn't be that expensive. My mum used to do it when my dad got too ill to work on their garden, and she's not fabulously wealthy.

I agree that it will depend where you have them living. Cities (London especially) have very small gardens. Mine is about 60 foot, with a 40foot lawn - that's considered big in the part of London I live in. It takes about 30 mins to mow if you're interested.

We do have lawns, but a lot of people cover them with decking to save on mowing grass, or pave over it to create a patio.

~Carole~

hpjunkie09
    Okay, thanks! Lots of people in my neighborhood hire people to do their lawns, but my dad and I mow ours ourselves. I just wasn't sure what y'all do for it over in Britain. I kind of always pictured the Grangers living in a surburan neighborhood, with a largish house (because they are, as stated earlier, dentists) and a decent lawn. Thanks so much for your help everyone!!