Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Being British XII

psijupiter
    Quote Originally Posted by Karaley Dargen
    Odd question, and I'm not sure if anyone can help me with this..

In the RAF, how old would someone usually be when they are made Air Commodore, or alternatively Wing Commander? Also, when you have an officer rank in the RAF, when do you "retire" and do you get a pension?

I did check the RAF homepage too, and they give some good information, but they don't have everything that I need...
    Can't help you with the first part, but with retirement ages, alot of people seem to leave the military around the age of 50, and go on to work in civillian life. (I've just had a training day with an ex-army officer today!) And yes, they do get a military pension. Not sure how much though, and would only get paid once you reached retirement age, so if you leave at 50, you won't start getting your military pension until you retire at 60/65.

I had a quick google and found hmforces website, which had some information, might be worth checking out?

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

Ooh thank you very much, that's exactly the information I needed, and fits my story perfectly. Also, I found the page, and it's brilliant - helps a lot, thank you!
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck
    Hello everyone.

I'm just wondering. Since waffles are not widely eaten in Britain, what is a normal breakfast food (normal for Hogwarts) that you would give someone a weird look for stabbing?

I mean, say in a scene, I had originally written "Angela stabbed a waffle" and it alerted her friends that something was wrong. What would be a good substitute for "waffle" that would also be kind of weird for someone to stab?

~Olivia

Banner by the lovely Megan/FawkesToTheRescue

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Fried bread? Sausage? Slice of bacon?

Or stabbing a poached egg might be good because then it could ooze everywhere.

Basically, us Brits like a good fry up, so we'll happily eat tomatoes, mushrooms, eggs, bacon, sausages, fried bread and all that malarkey.
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    What about Porridge?

(sorry, that doesn't really make sense, but the image makes me smile for some reason)

Neil

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    Thanks so much.

Yeah, Neil, the image makes me smile too. That was actually the reason I originally used a waffle. I'm between the porridge and the poached egg.

I was also wondering this. Is there a slightly dirty name you might use for someone who does something you didn't want them to but can't really blame them because you were planning on doing the same thing? That is a very convoluted question.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollonius
    I was also wondering this. Is there a slightly dirty name you might use for someone who does something you didn't want them to but can't really blame them because you were planning on doing the same thing? That is a very convoluted question.
    What is the deed? It could be different depending on whether it's something like snogging or sleeping with a boy/girl, or whether it's cheating in a test.

If the former, especially if it's modern/Trio era, you could use the term 'you old slapper' which is a mild way of calling someone something far less kind.
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    Actually, it's beating someone up wizard-style. I want to show that the character is angry at the one who beat up someone, but not horribly so.

It's a Muggleborn character in a Marauder-era fic, just to give a time stamp.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    I can't really think of anything specific, any insult would do. What phrase were you going to use? Post it here, or PM it to me if it's too rude and I'll be able to tell you if it's something we'd say.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    Okay. Thanks. If any insult will do I'm pretty sure I can come up with something. I'm not particularly the type to use words that are too rude for a public forum.

Thank you!