Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: House-elves in Italy

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Inverarity
    Also, I really don't think Corybantes are what you're looking for, at least not if they're to have any resemblance at all to their mythological forms. They really aren't little cupids who'd be likely to do a mortal's bidding -- they're divine beings in their own right who attend upon gods, and tend to be involved in orgies and the like.
    OOOH, thank you for that. When I researched them and discovered they'd been created by Zeus to protect Dionysus, (Bacchus) I thought about these Corybantes being descendents of the original ones. You mentioning that they're involved in orgies kinda suits my story, because my male MC is all for pleasures of the flesh.

I just don't want a house-elf. I don't want the docile servant. The Corybante will be 'freer' as it were. But thank you so much for talking to your friend for me. Kuri, too, is of Italian descent and the Roman/Greek mythologies are so intertwined that I think her suggestion will work.

You Claws do seem to love your House elves, don't you?

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinox Chick
    It can be our new House motto!

What I would do is find some reason to explain away why there are no house-elves doing the bidding of their master. Maybe the master thinks house-elves are boring and that everyone has them, and he wants something that would be completely unique...something of a status symbol.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    What I would do is find some reason to explain away why there are no house-elves doing the bidding of their master.
    I'm not suddenly going to introduce a whole new mythical creature with no explanation. Although this has it charms ...

"Hey what's that?" asked Mary Sue
    "That's a Corybantes," replied Gary-Stu as he sipped his grappa.
    "Oh, cool," simpered Mary-Sue.

He, by the way, doesn't find house elves boring. He just doesn't have one in his house in Italy. And as I said in reply to Inverarity, I don't want the docile house elf doing the 'bidding of their master'.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Equinox Chick

It can be our new House motto
    What and dispose of the 'Wit beyond measure!' Heaven forfend!

Thank you for your time and enthusiasm everyone. I am now writing Chapter nine and the corybantes has appeared.

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    Locking at author's request as original question has been given an answer and found their house-elf alternative. Any further discussions outside the original topic can be taken to new threads if members have extra questions relating to their own stories.

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.