Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPEW Introduction Thread

Hybrid View

jenny b

SPEW Introduction Thread

Since our old introduction thread was getting terribly outdated, I thought a new one was in order. A large number of the introductions in the previous thread were by people who have left, and a lot were probably outdated anyway. The old thread is still in the archives, though, if you'd like to read it. The form is still the same one, but I'm sure our older members will have different things to put in it now.

HTML Code:
    [b]Name:[/b]
    [b]Penname/Author's Page:[/b]
    [b]House:[/b]
    [b]Why You're In SPEW:[/b]
    [b]Favourite Non-HP Reading Material:[/b]
    [b]What You Do When You're Not Online:[/b]
    [b]What Kind Of Stories You Tend To Write/Be Known For:[/b]
    [b]Favourite MNFF Authors/Stories:[/b]
    [b]Favourite Pairings/Characters:[/b]
    [b]Favourite Story You've Written:[/b]
    [b]Three Random Things About Yourself:[/b]
    Off you go!

Mind Games
    Name: Katty
    Penname/Author's Page: My Musings
    House: Ravenclaw
    Why You're In SPEW: Because I believe in quality reviews and elf rights.
    Favourite Non-HP Reading Material: Jane Austen, T.S. Eliot, F. Scott Fitzgerald, John Green, Henry James, Madeleine L'Engle, Dorothy Parker, J.K. Rowling, Mark Twain, Edith Wharton, Markus Zusak; A Corner of the Universe, Atonement, The Bell Jar, The Book Thief, The Catcher In the Rye, Chronicles of Narnia, Crime and Punishment, Franny and Zooey, Grand Opening, The Great Gatsby, I Capture the Castle, If I Stay, Looking for Alaska, The Mill on the Floss, The Outsiders, Paper Towns, Pride and Prejudice, Rebecca, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Turn of the Screw, Woe Is I, Wuthering Heights, and many more to be discovered. /Ravenclaw
    What You Do When You're Not Online: Snowboarding, reading, waterskiing, films, music.
    What Kind Of Stories You Tend To Write/Be Known For: I'm not, er... "known". I guess I lean towards Dark/Angst, Post-Hogwarts, and anything featuring minor characters.
    Favourite MNFF Authors/Stories: HermioneDancr, The Vanishing Act, Wings of the Morning; Discord, Lesser Gods, Seven, The Price of Perfection, Through Fields of Gold, When the Church Bells Ring, Yet Stars Shine On.
    Favourite Pairings/Characters: I'm very fond of Harry Potter, Severus Snape, Draco Malfoy, Neville Longbottom, Gred and Forge, Luna Lovegood, and Hermione Granger. For pairings, Lily/Severus, Lily/Remus, Harry/Luna, and rarepairs.
    Favourite Story You've Written: I only have one, which was written three years ago... I'm working on a second one!
    Three Random Things About Yourself: I love studying American history, I wish to be a psychiatrist when I grow up, and I'm planning to go skydiving when I graduate from high school.

Kerichi
    Name: Paige

Penname/Author's Page: Kerichi

House: Gryffindor (I still think most my answers were Slytherin!)

Why You're In SPEW: Constructive praise and criticism helps the reviewer as much as the one reviewed.

Favourite Non-HP Reading Material: Favorite novels: Scaramouche, Ogre Ogre, Pride and Prejudice, Tea with the Black Dragon, The Hobbit, Sunshine, Dhampir, The Apothecary Rose, A Tapestry of Murders, Shadows in Bronze, Dune, The Mask of Ra, The Talisman, The Playmaker, Dark Lord of Derkholm, Little Women, The White Dragon to list a few. Favorite writers: Austen, Grafton, Beaton, Alcott, McKinley, Roberts, McCaffery, Asimov, King, Brooks, Doherty, Davis, Robb, Peters, Herbert, Dahl, Peretti, Sabatinióand others I'm not listing out of consideration for the eyestrain of anyone who may read.

What You Do When You're Not Online: Write, and all sorts of other things that fuel writing.

What Kind Of Stories You Tend To Write/Be Known For: Romance with humor (and sometimes angst).

Favourite MNFF Authors/Stories: I don't like to name favorites because I enjoy all kinds of stories in different categories and I might hurt someone's feelings (and maybe I should've been in Hufflepuff).

Favourite Characters: Remus, Tonks, Severus, Sirius, Draco, Scorpius, Rose, Fred & George

Favourite Story You've Written: Thatís like asking a mother to choose which child is favorite.

Three Random Things About Yourself:

1. I have a twin brother.
    2. Iíve lived in seven (U.S.) states and two countries.
    3. I finally submitted an original story, I'm working on another one for a different magazine, and neither are romance with humor. Maybe that's because I got that "fix" with fan fiction.

dory_the_fishie
    Name: Leanne
    Penname/Author's Page: dory_the_fishie
    House: Hufflepuff
    Why You're In SPEW: Because it is <3. I enjoy providing feedback for authors, and I definitely think that better reviewers make better writers.
    Favourite Non-HP Reading Material: Pride and Prejudice, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The Book Thief, I Capture the Castle, His Dark Materials
    What You Do When You're Not Online: Attempt to not fail my classes while still watching far too many television shows. I also like to sleep.
    What Kind Of Stories You Tend To Write/Be Known For: I think I'm pretty much known for writing the Black brothers a lot. I also tend towards character driven stories rather than plot driven ones.
    Favourite MNFF Authors/Stories: ElectronicQuillster, Noldo, and many others
    Favourite Pairings/Characters: Sirius Black, Regulus Black ; James/Lily, Sirius/Lily, Remus/Tonks, Teddy/Victoire
    Favourite Story You've Written: Pretty much impossible for me to decide. I'm quite fond of The Sitting Room, You Take Me The Way I Am, Look After You, and You Can Sit on Chimneys.
    Three Random Things About Yourself: 1. I play Quidditch at my university. 2. I'm a huge soccer/football fan. 3. I collect the HP books in different languages.

jenny b
    Name: Jennifer
    Penname/Author's Page: jenny b
    Why You're In SPEW: Because reviewing is love. And so are my SPEWers.
    Favourite Non-HP Reading Material: The Time-Traveler's Wife, The Book Thief, Memoirs of a Geisha, Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, The Count of Monte Cristo, The Thursday Next series, Tully, The Girl in Times Square, Emma.
    What You Do When You're Not Online: Eat. Sleep. Sing loudly and out of tune.
    What Kind Of Stories You Tend To Write/Be Known For: Um, I write a lot of fluff. And next gen.
    Favourite MNFF Authors/Stories: I'm hopeless at choosing favourites. I like lots of things.
    Favourite Pairings/Characters: Rose/Scorpius, Remus/Tonks, Draco/Daphne, Ron/Hermione.
    Favourite Story You've Written: It Must Be Love, probably. Yes, it's total fluff.
    I. My middle name is Kate.
    II. I've been a vegetarian for over three years.
    III. The walls of my bedroom are purple and lime green.

HARRYHARRYHARRYs_twin
    Name: Selina
    Penname/Author's Page: TheSmirkingDragon
    House: Slytherin
    Why You're In SPEW: It's a awesome place to be, I always fight to be the best I can be at everything, and I love the feeling of making others happy, as well as writing something useful.
    Favourite Non-HP Reading Material: Anything Jane Austen, for starters. Jane Eyre I can pull out every so often (when I find it), and my small collection of Shakespeare's works is always a go-to. I'll pull out my Burnett books (A Little Princess, The Secret Garden) when I have nothing else to go to. I love my YA novels, as that's the majority of what I own, along with the large variety of books I got when I was younger. Meg Cabot is always a laugh, Paper Towns is amazing, and Sloppy Firsts and the subsequent books were my favorite new books of last year. Gothic/SG Lit is something I'm beginning to get into; To Kill a Mockingbird I absolutely loved, and I'm planning on picking up a copy of Dracula tomorrow. I have a minor weakness for vampire novels, though I don't really enjoy them as much the second time around, like I did with any of the Harry Potter novels.
    What You Do When You're Not Online: You mean there's life away from the computer?
    But in all seriousness, I attend high school (freshmen), I make horrible jokes, I'm extremely involved in music, especially with my one true instrument the violin, I participate in a regional high school Shakespeare festival when it comes up in the fall time (and I'm pining after it for the rest of the year). I play tennis for the girl's varsity team at my school, and I took dance classes until I finally decided that on Saturday mornings, sleep was more important. I read, doodle, and try to finish my homework (or just avoid it). I also sleep a lot.
    What Kind Of Stories You Tend To Write/Be Known For: I write a variety of everything. I have a D/A fic, a humour, a Slash fic, and a poem up on the archives. I guess I experiment with how I write often -- I'm always trying or doing something new, and I'm hard pressed to write the same sort of thing more than once.
    Favourite MNFF Authors/Stories: As if I could choose.
    Favourite Pairings/Characters: I like all sorts of rarepairs or unlikely ones. I don't really enjoy canon ships as much. I've heard most of their stories, and I can't much stand hearing the same sort of thing over and over.
    Favourite Story You've Written: Of the stuff I currently have up on MNFF, probably Of Apothecaries and Queerditch Matches would be my favourite at the moment. I really enjoyed writing it, and when I read it again, I'm always pleasantly surprised that I, in fact, did write it. It's not anything really deep, but I think it's enjoyable.
    1) Nutella and deep fried pickles are my favorite foods (though they may or may not be enjoyable together)
    2) The walls of my bedroom each have either a door on them or they are about two feet high.
    3) When I graduate high school, my dream is attending Juilliard for music. I want to one day get a doctorate degree, however much it shall put me into debt.
    4) I've read each of the Harry Potter books an approximated 20 times (don't even think I'm joking), and I can recall canon facts like the Lexicon. It routinely amazes my RL friends when I make some sort of reference/correction. Which is often.

Who needs to count?

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Filch is a Squib!
    Name: Russia

Penname/Author's Page: Russia Snow

House: Gryffindor! Rawr!

Why You're In SPEW: Because Paige and Hannah told me to join? No, because I want to improve my reviews and I LOVE the members here <3

Favourite Non-HP Reading Material:
    Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carrol,
    The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor,
    LOTR by JRR Tolkein,
    Song Quest trilogy by Katherine Roberts,
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer,
    Avalon High by Meg Cabot

Favourite TV shows:
    Friends, Scrubs, Desperate Housewives, Dr Who, 90210, Stargate (Atlantis and Universe), CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, CSI: New York, Cold Case, Criminal Minds, Hannah Montana, Phineas and Ferb, Suite Life on Deck, Wizards of Waverly Place, Sonny with a Chance,

What You Do When You're Not Online:Sleep.... and do lots and lots of drama. And NEVER do any school work.

What Kind Of Stories You Tend To Write/Be Known For: Dark/Angsty, Bad ones? >.>

Favourite MNFF Authors/Stories:
    Kerichi and her 'Tale of Two Matchmakers',
    Equinox Chick and her 'Drowning Not Waving',
    Karaley Dargen,
    Sainyn Swiftfoot,

Favourite Pairings/Characters:
    Cedric/Me,
    Draco/Ginny,
    Cho/Ron,
    Hermione/Krum,
    Luna/Harry,
    Sirius/Lily,
    Draco/Hermione,

Favourite Story You've Written: 'Torn' but it only had one chapter... the rest is in my head

~ I am a HUGE Queen fangirl
    ~ I have read all the Twilight books, and it felt like sticking pins into my eyes
    ~ I have a pet bat, called Brix, who lives in my garden. I miss him in the winter.

~Russia xxxxx
    I'm dreaming the hardest.

Thank you Nadia/majestic_ginny! <3
    Being FEARLESS isn't about not having fears, it's about living in spite of them.

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Seeking Keys
    Name: Call me Spire
    Penname/Author's Page: inspirations
    Why You're In SPEW: To improve my own writing, as well as helping others with their own. And because SPEW is just awesome, of course.
    Favourite Non-HP Reading Material: The Sookie Stackhouse books, by Charlaine Harris; The House of Night Books, by PC and Kristin Cast. Pride and Prejudice; Wuthering Heights. I quite like the Twilight books, and, you know, Harry Potter. In addition, on authors: Daphne du Maurier and Philippa Gregory.
    What You Do When You're Not Online: Uh, read and write and watch TV/movies. Go out [usually the walk to the library, hehee] or do some research.
    What Kind Of Stories You Tend To Write/Be Known For: I honestly don't know; I have such a variety. On style, I'm frequently dabbling in second person and, on occasion, multiple points-of-view, but the genres range when I write fanfic. I'm fondest of Other Pairings and Dark/Angsty, though, if that's any indication?
    Favourite MNFF Authors/Stories: fg_weasley; Apparently Asleep, by Equinox Chick; Persephone, by obsessed_with_jo. I quite like one-shots.
    Favourite Pairings/Characters: Lily/anybody but James, Narcissa/Lucius, Bellatrix/Rodolphus, Dean/Luna, Andromeda/Ted, Draco/Hermione, Ron/Hermione, Draco/Ginny. Remus, Tonks, Hermione, Severus, Bellatrix, Rodolphus, Narcissa.
    Favourite Story You've Written: I like 'Illusions', 'Finding the Magic', and 'Twilit Woods'.
    Three Random Things About Yourself: [1] Recently, I find I have a love for blue-sy kinda music; [2] Fruit Cheesecake is possibly my favourite desert; [3] I have way too many books on my shelves that I haven't read because I favour rereading beloved other books. :]

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Name: Jess
    Penname/Author's Page: ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    Why You're In SPEW: I read and review a lot of fan fics, so it's the next evolution for me as both a reader and a writer to have some accountability for what I do put in my reviews and how I do it.
    Favourite Non-HP Reading Material: Not much, really. I like Dumas and Dickens for classic lit, and for modern, I like John Grisham and Lilian Jackson Braun (The Cat Who... murder mysteries series). Other than that, I don't read much outside of fanfic anymore.
    What You Do When You're Not Online: I play hockey, chat on AIM, spend too much time with Facebook games, and watch TV. That's about it.
    What Kind Of Stories You Tend To Write/Be Known For: Next-Gen. I don't know if I'm known for anything, so to speak, but a majority of my work is Next-Gen.
    Favourite MNFF Authors/Stories: Paige (Kerichi), Carole (Equinox Chick), Natalie (hestiajones), MagEd, and I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting at the moment.
    Favourite Pairings/Characters: Scorpius/anyone, Albus/Scorpius, Albus/OC, Harmony, Draco/Katie Bell
    Favourite Story You've Written: The Vindication of James Potter and My Secret, My Hell, My Burden. I can't pick between them, for they are my angsty children.
    Three Random Things About Yourself: I like Chinese food, I wish I could re-do my username, and I hate the sun.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck

Name: Estuko/ Jen (I go by both in different circles)
    Penname/Author's Page: Author Page
    Why You're In SPEW: Learning to Do Better, Writing Technique, Balanced Reviews & Community
    Favourite Non-HP Reading Material: Shakespeare, Chaucer, Catholicism
    What You Do When You're Not Online: Go to Class or Study
    What Kind Of Stories You Tend To Write/Be Known For: General
    Favourite MNFF Authors/Stories: Equinox Chick/ Kerichi/ mudbloodproud/Gmariam/Potato Peeler
    Favourite Pairings/Characters: Dobby, Remus, Luna, Dumbledore, Bellatrix
    Favourite Story You've Written: Red Wine (Revision of ABC)
    Three Random Things About Yourself: Short, Japanese-American (yeah, I get this a lot: no, the 'Estuko' thing is not just a mark to make me sound foreign) Hot Tea & PB&J