Thread: Small list of questions...

ThomasPillar

Small list of questions...

I'm working on an AU fanfic and answers to these question would help me out a LOT.

Would it be possible to use Floo powder to transport mail? Like could you throw some Floo powder into the fire place, clearly say the intended destination, and expect mail that's placed in the fire to go there? Plausible?

In HPGF, the tents they stay in at the Quidditch world cup have been made to accomidate much more than seems possible from the outside. How far could this idea go? Could it be plausible to make what looks a phone booth have space enough to fit a city block?

I may add more questions at a later time. Thank you?

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasPillar
    I'm working on an AU fanfic and answers to these question would help me out a LOT.

Would it be possible to use Floo powder to transport mail? Like could you throw some Floo powder into the fire place, clearly say the intended destination, and expect mail that's placed in the fire to go there? Plausible?

In HPGF, the tents they stay in at the Quidditch world cup have been made to accomidate much more than seems possible from the outside. How far could this idea go? Could it be plausible to make what looks a phone booth have space enough to fit a city block?

I may add more questions at a later time. Thank you?
    I think sending letters through the Floo network could work, but one thing that has occurred to me is that the Floo might only work if you have a body (or part of a body) physically present in the fireplace, since both travelling and communicating requires you to stick yourself or at least your head inside the fire. Maybe instead of just throwing your letter into the fire, you have to place the letter into the flames with your hand, then give it a toss.

Just speculation...

As for hiding things, the entirety of Diagon Alley is hidden from Muggles via a small brick wall behind a pub. Interpret as you will.

Tim the Enchanter

ThomasPillar
    Good point about Diagon Alley. I didn't think about that.

And the Floo mail idea. That's a good point. I'll remember that.

psijupiter
    The only thing about the Floo is that both times it is used - for travelling and firecalling - the person has to be in the fire to say where they are going. I'm not sure having just a hand in the fireplace would work, I think you would need to stick your head in the fire and say where you were sending the letter, but then you might just end up making a firecall anyway.

I have a vague memory of a someone at the end of a firecall handing a letter through. I can't remember if this is canonical or from fanfic, but I'm fairly sure it was fanfic, thinking about it. Also at one point doesn't Molly offer someone some toast or a biscuit or something udring a firecall? She puts it in his mouth, I believe, so things can definitely travel that way.

the_weird_one
    psijupiter, I have no memory of Molly ever placing a biscuit anywhere. But I feel like a firecall would be similar to a video chat. In fact, the Harry Potter Lexicon describes it as similar to a telephone network. Seeing as you can't really hand things through a video (it might be different in the wizarding world, though, so don't expect this to be completely true or whatever) I'm assuming it works the same for a firecall. Maybe they would have to have a special add-on or whatever to make the transportation of objects available, since it is somehow connected to the Floo Network? Just a thought. Maybe it could be a new invention or something.

As for your second question, I think that is possible, seeing as what Tim said. It's all about matte, though- Diagon Alley could be in this giant business square in the middle of a row a buildings for all we know, invisible to the human eye. Then again, Grimmauld Place emegres from out of thin air. So yes, it totally could. *totally just rambling*

-Addy

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by the_weird_one
    psijupiter, I have no memory of Molly ever placing a biscuit anywhere.
    From GoF 11:159-60
    Amos Diggory's head was sitting in the middle of he flames like a large, bearded egg. It was talking very fast, completely unperturbed by the sparks flying around it and he flames licking its ears.

[blah blah blah, not important]

"Sorry about this, Molly," it [Diggory] said, more calmly, "Bothering you so early and everything...but Arthur's the only one who can get Mad-Eye off, and Mad-Eye's supposed to be starting his new job today. Why he had to choose last night..."

"Never mind, Amos," said Mrs. Weasley. "Sure you won't hae a bit of toast or anything before you go?"

"Oh go on, then," said Mr. Diggory.

Mrs. Weasley took a piece of buttered toast from a stack on the kitchen table, put it into the fire tongs, and transferred it into Mr. Diggory's mouth.

"Fanks," he said...
    So, it wasn't a cookie, but it was toast. It is possible to transfer objects through the Floo to someone who is waiting for it (not sure about an unoccupied Floo), though, apparently, tongs are necessary to not burn oneself.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

Quote Originally Posted by ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    From GoF 11:159-60

So, it wasn't a cookie, but it was toast. It is possible to transfer objects through the Floo to someone who is waiting for it (not sure about an unoccupied Floo), though, apparently, tongs are necessary to not burn oneself.

I'd assume the heat is because Molly wasn't the floo-ing one. The fire gets cold when you throw the Floo Powder in there, but maybe as long as it isn't a Floo journey, but only a Floo call, the receiving end is still a normal hot fire. Did the fire turn green when Amos Diggory "called"? I don't recall that...

In that case, the question is whether sending a letter (or other things) would count as a Floo call or Floo journey. But even if we assume that it's a journey, you still have to take into account that probably the Floo powder power (no pun intended, sorry, it just came out like that I swear) wears off after a while - and then the letter (if it isn't taken out quickly) is sitting in the fire... not for long probably. I would probably argue that it is possible, but that you have to stick your hand (holding the letter) in the fire and reach it over to the other side, where someone takes it out. Or what Tim suggested - that you throw it in the fireplace so that it flies out on the other side with the same force.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Karaley Dargen
    Did the fire turn green when Amos Diggory "called"?
    It doesn't mention that anywhere in this particular instance. I checked the Sirius fire call in GoF 19:331-5, and it didn't mention either the head OR the fire being green.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.