Thread: Floo Stops

Hybrid View

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!

Floo Stops

I have been doing some thinking about stops on the Floo Network, and I have a few questions I need answered.

Does a fireplace actually need to be installed as a Floo Stop? How were the Weasley's able to end up in the Dursley's fireplace? Did someone turn their fireplace into a Floo Stop without them knowing, or will really just any fireplace do?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

psijupiter
    Don't the Weasley's say they had the Dursely's fireplace connected to the floo network for the morning? So I imagine any fireplace can be a floo stop, but it has to be connected to the floo network by some sort of spell, that is presumably controlled by the ministry.

I wonder if you can set up private floo networks between houses that don't have to be on the wider floo network?

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    So a person doesn't need to have direct access to the fireplace in question in order to turn it into a stop on the Floo Network? Interesting....

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    I believe that Arthur had a contact on the Floo Regulation Panel which allowed him to have the Dursleys house tempoararily connected. Although the connection can be made remotely, i don't think that it can be done by any wizard. Didn't Sirius break into a wizrds house to use the network to contact Harry?

I would make it a complicated magic requiring approval from the Department of Magical Transportation. The same for Portkeys.

-N-

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers

psijupiter
    Quote Originally Posted by Northumbrian
    I believe that Arthur had a contact on the Floo Regulation Panel which allowed him to have the Dursleys house tempoararily connected. Although the connection can be made remotely, i don't think that it can be done by any wizard. Didn't Sirius break into a wizrds house to use the network to contact Harry?
    You're right, I'd forgotten that, but it definitely suggests the floo network itself is controlled by the Ministry, so even if you were next to a fireplace and knew the right spells, the ministry would at least know you were connected to the floo network or perhaps even be able to stop you from connecting.

It could also be that few people have learnt the nessacary skills and spells. I would guess that most if not all wizarding houses are connected to the floo network. Wizards seem to be creatures of habit, so they would be more likely to move into a wizarding house, rather than move into a muggle house and then try to connect it to the floo network.

If you don't need access to the fireplace to do the spell, it suggests that the spells simply 'open up' some sort of connection that is already there. I don't know what sort of connection that might be though!

EDIT: Of course, perhaps a Ministry wizard pretended to be a Meter reader or something else in order to get access to the Dursley's fireplace. There's no evidence of that in the books, but it's a thought.

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Northumbrian
    I believe that Arthur had a contact on the Floo Regulation Panel which allowed him to have the Dursleys house temporarily connected. Although the connection can be made remotely, i don't think that it can be done by any wizard. Didn't Sirius break into a wizards house to use the network to contact Harry?
    Sirius may have simply not known the spell. It's not like Hogwarts can teach students every spell there is, and it's definitely not like Sirius had his whole adult life to learn the missing ones.

I would make it a complicated magic requiring approval from the Department of Magical Transportation. The same for Portkeys.
    While Floo Networking spells are probably more on the complex side, Portkey spells are relatively simple (Portus). I think it would more fall into the category of being heavily regulated for safety and security purposes. What kind of chaos would there be if one could Floo just anywhere one wished? It would be insanity.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

Quote Originally Posted by ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    While Floo Networking spells are probably more on the complex side, Portkey spells are relatively simple (Portus). I think it would more fall into the category of being heavily regulated for safety and security purposes. What kind of chaos would there be if one could Floo just anywhere one wished? It would be insanity.
    I think the post referred to the regulations bit. We do know that Portkeys require Ministry authorisation because Fudge almost imploded when Dumbledore just created one.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey