Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: CHINESE Culture and Language Help

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Oh god, triple post of doom!

I have a question for anyone who's got anything on Chinese history, particularly social history though.

In general, have tattoos always been seen as a negative thing in dynastic China? I know that they used to have tattoo soldiers so that they couldn't desert the army and not be caught, and that tattooing was a punishment for criminals.

I get the distinct feeling that the answer is yes, yes and yes, since there were non-Han Chinese groups in the South that utilized elaborate facial tattoos as part of their religion and they were considered uncivilized barbarians, etc, etc.

I really want to give the police in wizarding China a fancy tattoo that marks them, I'm just not sure that it makes sense culturally or historically.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by AidaLuthien
    I really want to give the police in wizarding China a fancy tattoo that marks them, I'm just not sure that it makes sense culturally or historically.

Put it this way: in 20th century Britain, British wizards didn't know better than to walk among Muggles wearing a woman's nightgown.

Your Chinese wizards could wear tattoos and have no idea (or not care) what it looks like to Muggles. And a few negative encounters with wizards could partially explain why Chinese react so badly to tattoos.