I wonder what a Muggle-born would do when confronted with an owl who is determinedly going towards them with a letter. "Get away from meeeee!!"

Originally posted by Molly:

Something else I have found myself pondering about is how the Chinese wizarding society would have viewed the practice of foot binding. Would they have seen it as barbaric, or would they have practiced it as well? I'm sure they would use spells instead, but keep in mind the apeal of foot binding was not just small feet, but the shape of the foot as well, which was said to resemble a lily blossom.
I don't think foot binding got really popular until relatively late in Chinese history, so it would depend on when and how much the wizarding society divided itself from the Muggle society. If it was pre-Qing dynasty, they probably wouldn't do too much about shape, though the upper classes would probably do something about size... but it also depends on women's role in society. Small feet -> don't have to work.

Feet are traditionally fetishized in the region though - even today, Mongolian (I think it's Mongolian, I read that article a long time ago) women go bare breasted on hot days but only show their feet to their husbands.

The difference is how strong the fetish is - in Qing dynasty China, basically all women who weren't the very poorest bound their feet because otherwise they wouldn't be able to get married. Still, I think the upper classes practiced some kind of foot binding for a long time before then. It's proof that you're rich and that your wife doesn't have to work - her little feet prove that.

I've never understood the lily shape thing. The toes and arch were broken to the point that sometimes women got gangrene - it's nasty. As far as I know, the shape made the women walk in a certain way (really swaying) which was really desirable... except Manchu women found a way to fake it with special shoes.

Elven Egyptian Princess
Nubian would be more accurate though...