Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: AUSTRALIAN Culture and Language Help - II

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    I have a quick question. What to Aussies call a wireless internet connection? Do they just call it wireless, Wi-Fi, or what?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Fifth Year Slytherin
    What's With Mars?
    Well I've always called it wireless internet. But using my phone, I call it wifi, cause that's what the phone calls it.

~ Annalise x

Ronnie, Lyss, Becca, Andi, you guys are amazing. <3

I'M BACK, BABY! *evil laugh*

Midnight Storm
    I'm Aussie and it's always "WiFi." But I'm from Melbourne, it might be different in Sydney/Perth/etc.

emck

Cool

I've actually never heard it called WiFi in conversation. The TV calls it WiFi, but most people I know just call it internet, or wireless. WiFi is enerally used by nerds (not that I have anything against nerds, but you know what I mean) Oh yes, and I'm from Brisbane...

Midnight Storm
    I'm not going to lie, I am a nerd. But where I'm from it's common to say, "McDonald's has free WiFi." But whatever. I think it's safe to say that it doesn't matter what it is called, because all Aussies call it something different

~Midnight Storm

Fifth Year Slytherin
    What's With Mars?
    Actually, now that I think about it more, Wi-Fi is really pretty common now-days. I did call it just wireless/internet but I suppose it's probably more common to be called Wi-Fi, and I'd say that's because Apple is so common in Australia. I mean, McDonald's has free Wi-Fi for computers *coughmacandipadcough* and phones *coughiphonecough*. So, yeah. I suppose you're right with either of those.

And I'm a Queenslander >.< just so you know haha.

~ Annalise x

Ronnie, Lyss, Becca, Andi, you guys are amazing. <3

I'M BACK, BABY! *evil laugh*