Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: AUSTRALIAN Culture and Language Help - II

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    I think a lot of it would have to do with the majority over the minority.

Let's take the United States, for example. Say a school were in New Mexcio, they would probably have a large Latino population, and there for would have a lot of food from Mexico or other Spanish-speaking country. Were a school to be in Hawaii or California, with a large Asia population, various kinds Asian cuisines would likely be very popular.

However, Australia doesn't have a very large population as a whole, and would likely have only one school that could accomidate them all. Then we have to look them democraphics of Austalia's population.

The estimated wizarding population (one wizard for 2000 Muggles) would give Australia a population of 11,000. And for Horwarts to have rough student population of 400, we can estimate that Austalia as a nation would have 153 students old enough to attend school.

Now let's look at them demographics for Australian ancestory in this information from CIA World Factbook.
    White 92%
    Asian 7%
    Aboriginal and other 1%

Knowing this, we can expect the school at any time to have:
    140 white students
    11 Asian students
    2 Aboriginal students (or maybe more, please see Wizards and New World Natives )

It doesn't seem like a very high amount, but it could be in terms of my continuing to think in democraphics. I suppose the real question is, would Austalian wizards embrace this small part of their schools population, or would tend to take the more majority-rules thing.

Who would have thought talking about food would be so political?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Alright, I have this so far for a menu at an Australian school, for the welcome feast, anyway:

Lamb, meat pies with tomato sauce, roast chicken, steak, sausages, ham, spaghetti bolognaise, macaroni, lasangna, fish, all sorts of barbecue

Potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, peas, corn, beans

Potato Salad, green salad

Pavlova, fresh fruit, neenish tarts, cheesecake, ice cream, apple pie, fudge

Think I'm missing anything, or does this sound like a good dinner?

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Second Year Ravenclaw
    Beset by Owls
    Sounds fabulous, Molly. I hope you Googled Sam Kekovich. He's possibly the best marketer in history. Although I don't like lamb, I will never be able to look at it without thinking "You know it makes sense. I'm Sam Kekovich."

If my internet wasn't 99% dead, I'd give you a link to his most famous ad.

Back from a ridiculously long hiatus.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    You're missing Lamingtons!

Possibly the best cakey thing the southern hemisphere has ever produced. Sponge squares, dipped in chocolate sauce and then covered in dessicated coconut.

Okay, I'm not Australian, but Julia (the opaleye) swears they're legit.

I've also made them a few times and they're yummy. Definite dessert!

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Vampite

Possibly the best cakey thing the southern hemisphere has ever produced. Sponge squares, dipped in chocolate sauce and then covered in dessicated coconut.
    Just have to say, those sound AMAZING!

This is more a question for people who have just been to Australia: what is something that you were SURE was true about Australia, but when you actually go there, find out it's insanely untrue?

Second Year Ravenclaw
    Beset by Owls
    Nobody could forget lamingtons! I agree, they are positively delicious! However, over here, we eat them more as a snack food for morning tea or afternoon tea. Our deserts tend to be a lot sweeter, like the ones up above.

Jordana

Back from a ridiculously long hiatus.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Lamingtons? Wow! I've never heard of them before now, and I'll likely never have oppurtunity to try them in my life, but they do sound amazing, and definitely going on the menu!

Lamb, meat pies with tomato sauce, roast chicken, steak, sausages, ham, spaghetti bolognaise, macaroni, lasangna, fish, all sorts of barbecue

Potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, peas, corn, beans

Potato Salad, green salad

Pavlova, fresh fruit, neenish tarts, cheesecake, ice cream, apple pie, fudge, lamingtons

Something else I wonder, what would wizarding kids drink in Australia? I know at Hogwarts, it's all about pumpkin juice (which I think personally sounds disgusting), but in other stories, I have seen people get creative with this. In Tim the Enchanter's story, they drink turnip tea and carrot juice, and in Marissa and the Wizards, they have something called glitter juice, and I have no idea what that could be.

So what would be the beverage of choice for Aussie students?

Also, a really random thought entered my head just today. We all know that Australia was long the dumping ground for British criminals, but do you think British wizards would send their criminals there as well, or would that just be a Muggle thing?

What is the story of Australia's first European wizards?

Brand New Story!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Something else I wonder, what would wizarding kids drink in Australia?
    Hmm, well when I visited Australia, I noticed a lot of herbal teas and I think there's an issue with importing at the moment (I mean importing fruit and veg from abroad - not sure I'm right about this but my friend told me she couldn't get hold of bananas for months...). But it led me to thinking about native Aussie plants like ... eucalyptus.

How about eucalyptus juice? Or cactus juice? Or .... aloe?

Lamingtons? Wow! I've never heard of them before now, and I'll likely never have oppurtunity to try them in my life, but they do sound amazing, and definitely going on the menu!
    They are dead easy to make and if I find my recipe, I shall PM it to you.

We all know that Australia was long the dumping ground for British criminals, but do you think British wizards would send their criminals there as well, or would that just be a Muggle thing?
    It depends when you think Azkaban was set up. On the whole I think it unlikely because the Brits sent to Australia were there to do hard labour, and I can't see a wizarding settlement where they'd work the criminal wizards.

Mind you, I have an American wizard in one of my stories who can trace his ancestry back to the Mayflower, so I'm not saying they wouldn't have gone, but I don't see the Wizarding world needing Australia if they already had Azkaban.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

emck
    For Australian-ish foods, there's this book call Possum Magic which basically lists a whole bunch of Australian foods (it's about a baby possum who gets turned invisible and has to eat a bunch of Australian foods, including lamingtons and pavlova and a vegemite sandwich to be visible again. It's the best book ever ) Oh yes, and lamingtons are heaven. Also, scones are very popular for morning/afternoon tea.

As for drinks that are particularly Australian, I'm actually thinking tea, specifically Bushell's tea (mostly 'cause they have hilarious ads...at least, I think that's bushells) However, I think that...eucaluptus juice/tea/something isn't ridiculous. Also, I believe Milo (a kind of chocolate drink) is pretty Australian. It's made in Australia, and...well, if it's any indication, I have two kilos of it sitting on my shelf right now, it's that amazing. Also...hm, Bundeberg Ginger Beer? I've been to the Bundy Rum/Ginger Beer factory, so it's definitely made in Australia...oh, and Kirk's is an Australian soft drink brand, I think...and...my brain can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

As to European wizards moving to Australia, I always thought it would be more of a volantary thing; they'd be like the settlers, moving away for whatever reason to start new lives. Maybe they moved for monetary purposes, like in the Gold Rush? Or...I seem to remember that a whole bunch of Irish people like Ned Kelly moved here for some reason too. My Australian history sucks, though...all I remember is the Eureka stockade, Burke & Wills, Captain Cook and Simpson and his Donkey...

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    I know that people in Britain use the term 'in polite company', but do people use it in Australia?

And I am so using the idea of cactus juice. I've always thought pumpkin juice would be disgusting, but cactus juice, even without knowing what it would be sounds like it would be great!

Brand New Story!