Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AUSTRALIAN Culture and Language Help - II

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!

AUSTRALIAN Culture and Language Help - II

I'm starting a new Australian Culture Thread, as I still have many more questions I need answered in order to tell a good story.

I will start with the last question posted on the thread. Who are some famous Australian child actresses? Ones with really good Australian accents.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

emck
    It would depend on when your fic is set. About six or seven years ago, there was a show called The Sleepover Club, which was about like, five or six Australian girls who were in primary school. But they're all grown up now, I think.

There's this other show that's fairly recent, called Mortified! The girl is eleven, and she's pretty Australian, I think. And that's really all I can think of...I hope it helps!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Oh, I have been watching plenty of episodes of The Sleepover Club. Sat through twenty episodes; I think it's scarred me for life.

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

emck
    I feel so sorry for you...it's on right now, and it's pretty terrifying.

I've been trying to think of others, but there don't seem to be many little Australian kids...there's a show called Blue Water High, but they're like, fifteen, which is probably too old. There might be some little kids on Neighbours or Home and Away...

Good luck, though...

Queen of Foals Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    You're Fraternising with the Enemy!!!
    I'm not Australian but I'm from across the ditch so close enough. Lol.

I would suggest watching episodes of 'Home and Away' since I know they're all on Youtube and they have a wide-range age-wise of actors. I haven't watched it in about a year but I remember there were some youngish children on there.

Also when I was a tween I used to read an Australian magazine called 'Dolly' so you could have a look around their website. There is also another one for younger girls which I think is called 'Total Girl' or something along those lines. They might scar you further though so beware!

Hope this helps!

Lovely banner by Minna! Icon from toreadabook on lj.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    More questions still. What games did your primary school teachers used to play with class when they needed to kill some time or just needed a few moments to themselves? I remember a few very popular games were Heads-up 7-up and Simon Says.

Are these games played in Australia, or are there some other classroom games that are very common?

Brand New Story!

emck
    I've got no idea what Heads Down 7-up is, but it reminds me of a game we used t play in class called Heads Down Thumbs Up (maybe they're the same thing...). Unfortunately, other than putting our heads on the desk and our thumbs well...up, I can't remember what else happens...

Other than that...Hangman, maybe? And it would generally relate to whatever subject the kid are studying somehow. Actually, I can remember doing that in year 12... Also, one of our teachers used to give us crossword puzzles and find-a-words and that sort of thing (always, of course, having some sort of relation to the subject).

Sorry I can't be more help, but I think just about any game that could be cleverly disguised as school work if the Principal walked in is a good one

*emck*

Third Year Ravenclaw
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    Ah, Heads Down Thumbs Up. How it goes is this; three people are chosen and they get to stand at the front of the room, pretending to be important. Everyone else puts their head down on their desk and their thumbs, well... up. Then the Three Chosen Ones walk around and they pick a random person each and squeeze their thumb, at which point, that person lowers their thumb. Then, Person in Charge (i.e. the teacher) says 'Heads up, stand up', at which point, if you had thumb squeezed, you stand. Then they have to try and guess who out of the Chosen Ones picked them. You guess right, you are a champion and you take the place of the person who picked you in the next round. You guess wrong, then bad luck; no Chosen One for you. Obviously, the Chosen One who goes the longest without being guessed correctly is a legend. I would say winner, but I don't think you ever get a winner - it's kind of a heads/thumbs cycle that never ends Hence why it's fabulous - it wastes lots of 'valuable' learning time.

Also Dead Fish. Everyone lies on the ground and must remain absolutely still. Someone watches and picks out the people who move. The last Dead Fish that has not moved is the winner.

I don't know about other schools, but my teachers used to just tell us to bugger off for a while, at which point we would go outside and play Cops and Robbers or Kiss Chasey.

First Year Hufflepuff
    Setting Snakes on Hapless Relatives

I was going to suggest Heads Down, Thumbs Up and Dead Fish! I used to hate Heads Down Thumbs Up, I used to dread having my thumbs squeezed, and we seemed to play it all the time.

I remember playing Dead Fish when we were younger, but in Grade 5 and 6, we played mainly Heads Down, Thumbs Up. If it was a nice day outside, we would play dodgeball, which again I hated. When I was in Grade 6, we played this game where we would sit in a circle and one person would be an assassain and kill people by winking at them (it might be called Assassains, but I'm not sure). Again, I hated this game because I couldn't wink.

My Grade 6 teacher was best friends with the Grade 1 teacher, and she'd often just wander out of the classroom to go and have a chat with her for a break, just leaving us to get on with our work.

Just my two knuts.

~Hannah~

Third Year Ravenclaw
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    Oh my god, Wink Murder! I used to love that game. I was always awesome at it Maybe it's because I'm nefarious by nature, but no one ever guessed I was the murderer

BANG! is also an excellent game. Everyone stands in a circle and someone calls out the names of two people who separated only by one other person in between them. Whoever is the slowest to point their gun (finger) and yell BANG! dies and is out of the game. If the person between the pair doesn't duck quick enough, then they are the dead one and are out of the game. The last two people remaining in the game engage in a Western-style shootout. The pair stand back to back and as someone calls out random words (BANANA! ECHIDNA! TABLECLOTH! GRANDMA!) they take a step away from each other per word. Upon using hearing the magic word, the pair turn and once again, the slowest person to BANG! is the sorry loser.