Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Replacement for Cell Phone in Wizard World

  1. #1
    circlemidnight
    Guest

    Replacement for Cell Phone in Wizard World

    I'm writing a story, and I need a way for the characters to interact with each other, over a certaiin distance. Owls are obviously take too long, and Floo powder is limited to fireplaces. So I need something that can be like a cell phone: small, compact, and easy to communicate with. Help please!

  2. #2
    Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Tim the Enchanter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ĦEl planeta de los simios!
    Posts
    634
    Quote Originally Posted by circlemidnight
    I'm writing a story, and I need a way for the characters to interact with each other, over a certaiin distance. Owls are obviously take too long, and Floo powder is limited to fireplaces. So I need something that can be like a cell phone: small, compact, and easy to communicate with. Help please!
    I would go with two-way mirrors, like the kind Sirius gave to Harry. You say the name of who you want to contact to the mirror, and the other person's mirror vibrates or rings or something. Then your two wizards/witches can have a conversation by just talking into the mirrors.

    Whoever decides to mass-produce those things would make a killing.

    However, consider how these handy, portable mirrors would influence your story. Just imagine if everyone in the series carried one -- a lot of plot lines would be changed due to this easy communication, and some of the intrigues could not work. For instance, Harry would never have to break into Umbridge's office to use her fire in order to contact Sirius -- he could just call him and that will be all. Or Voldemort could give Harry a call and taunt him long-distance. The possibilities are endless.

    Tim the Enchanter

  3. #3
    'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ganking demons
    Posts
    2,064
    I really don't see why they couldn't use cell phones. They may even be able to use magic to hack into the carriers' airspace etc, so the phones can be used without being traced or paid for. All in all, besides little magic mirrors that Sirius and James had or Patronuses, it would be just as handy to have a cell as anything.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws



    Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.


  4. #4
    DracoGurlFurever
    Guest
    You could try the Patronus communication that Order members used - the technique was used in fanfictions like Our Little Secret by Kerichi, for example, and you might just change the specifics of the communication method to suit your story. Especially if you wanted to have only two characters able to communicate, this might work!

    I don't think other people can intercept someone's Patronuses or make them reveal their message other than to their intended recipient, so you also have security built in right away.

    Just a thought!

    Apurva.

  5. #5
    Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Sapphire at Dawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Here, there and everywhere
    Posts
    777
    Why can't they use cell phones (note, if your characters are English they would call them mobile phones)? Is it something to do with the magic in the air that Hermione mentions in GoF? If so, are they wanting to communicate from Hogwarts, or a smaller wizarding dwelling? I'd be careful here, I think that the reason that electrical items don't work at Hogwarts is because there is so much magic around. I think that this is less likely to happen in a normal wizards home because there is so much less magic around. The signal might be a bit fuzzy from time to time, but I think it'd work. Or, they could just step outside the boundaries of the house.

    But on to magical forms of mobile phones. I think the mirrors is a good idea, but I don't know how they'd work long-distance. It's something to think about. It obviously works from Scotland to London, which is quite a distance, but somehow I don't think it'd work from England to Australia, say.

    How about the old idea of two tin cans on a string? Wizards could have taken this weird Muggle ideas and enchanted the cans so they can communicate with people, though I think you'd have to be careful with the era. Next Gen this could probably work as a mass production, but if it's Trio or Marauder, perhaps have them as something the people have enchanted themselves as I'm sure we would have heard of them in the books and would result in some of the things Tim said.

    Sarah x


    Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

  6. #6
    IckleRonniex
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Enchanter
    I would go with two-way mirrors, like the kind Sirius gave to Harry. [...] Or Voldemort could give Harry a call and taunt him long-distance. The possibilities are endless.
    I believe the two-way mirrors are only two-way. They can only communicate with its twin and they are very rare. So, the idea of Voldemort giving Harry a call is... not possible.

    I would use a patronus, like Apurva said. I think that is the fastest way to communicate with someone.

    If you're writing a next-gen story, there could probably be magical mobile phones. You know the wizarding world has wireless radios, opperated by magic. I think it would work if they'd use mobile phones the same way.



    Ronnie

  7. #7
    Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    OliveOil_Med's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    My fanfiction notebook broke!
    Posts
    1,547
    This is probably going to be one of those situations where you are going to have to rely a lot on your own imagination to come up with an answer to this one.

    It will be fun! Just take what you already know about how wizards are already able to communicate with one another, and let your mind twist and mold it like Play Dough until you can come you think seems feasible.

    I have already come up with a few ideas, though I'm not sure I want to share them with you, because I kind of want them for my own story.

    MINE!

    Brand New Story!

    Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

    My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

  8. #8
    Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    This is probably going to be one of those situations where you are going to have to rely a lot on your own imagination to come up with an answer to this one.

    It will be fun! Just take what you already know about how wizards are already able to communicate with one another, and let your mind twist and mold it like Play Dough until you can come you think seems feasible.

    I have already come up with a few ideas, though I'm not sure I want to share them with you, because I kind of want them for my own story.

    MINE!
    I am sure that if the person had no trouble coming up with ideas they wouldn't ask others for help. Maybe by now the topic would fit better in Skele-Gro, but I can certainly see why the topic starter would like other forum users to help with ideas, and several good and helpful ideas have already come up.


    Other means of communication you could consider - think of the coins the DA used. Hermione enchanted them to display a message (the date of the next meeting). In that case, there was a "master coin" that sent the message to all the other coins, but I'm sure you could also modify the charm (or use a similar one) so that each of the coins can send a message. (Obviously you could use any other object for that too. Hermione only chose the coins because no one would notice as they are everyday objects.)

    Similar to that idea - how about paper that you write on, and the message appears elsewhere? You'd enchant both (or all of) the papers and then they are "linked" to always show the same.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

  9. #9
    'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ganking demons
    Posts
    2,064
    Quote Originally Posted by Kara
    Similar to that idea - how about paper that you write on, and the message appears elsewhere? You'd enchant both (or all of) the papers and then they are "linked" to always show the same.
    So, you mean put a Protean Charm on a piece of paper?

    I don't know if paper would work, considering one can only use it once. Maybe some sort of erasable/reusable writing device, like a Ghostwriter or a Magnadoodle (or something similar and probably less childish), only modified (with Protean Charm) to write on the matching device(s). That way, whatever is written can be erased for discretion purposes, plus it has great reusability.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws



    Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.


  10. #10
    Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    So, you mean put a Protean Charm on a piece of paper?

    I don't know if paper would work, considering one can only use it once. Maybe some sort of erasable/reusable writing device, like a Ghostwriter or a Magnadoodle (or something similar and probably less childish), only modified (with Protean Charm) to write on the matching device(s). That way, whatever is written can be erased for discretion purposes, plus it has great reusability.
    But then there is magic ink too. In CoS Harry tries to do a lot of things to make the ink on the pages of Riddle's diary visible, so we have to assume that there are just as many ways of making the ink invisible after the message has been read too. Also when Harry writes on the book, the ink vanishes... right? Or do you think that's just because the diary was a Horcrux? hmm...

    Maybe the paper could be used similar to a Magnadoodle - the message stays on there for a while and vanishes again (either when it has been read or after a set time, though the set time sounds more plausible to me).
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •