Thread: Fiction Junction Announcements

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower

Fiction Junction Announcements

Revamp of Fiction Junction

Ever since I took over this forum a year ago, I have tried to reactivate it, and yet every time poor Fiction Junction ends up as a dusty, forgotten about part of the forums, posted in maybe once a month or less.

So, I’m trying again. Most of the threads in here were started in 2006 – that’s nearly four years ago. A Lot can change in four years, and so they are all dead and gone, and we’re starting afresh.

The format of the main section of FJ will be similar. I’m going to set up Recommend a _______ story for the following categories:

Canon Romance
    Non-canon Romance
    Slash
    Alternate Universe
    Dark/Angst
    General
    Post Hogwarts
    Historical
    Marauder
    Poetry
    Next Generation
    Humour

These threads will be similar to how they were before – whenever you find a story that you absolutely love, or think other people would enjoy, post it in one of these threads, with a link and reason for recommendation. However, I am also adding a new element to the threads. If you post a link to a review of the story you’re recommending, you will receive up to three points (so long as the review isn’t just a squeeing one liner!) This is to serve a few purposes – 1) to encourage reviewing so our authors are getting feedback – if you like a story enough to recommend it, you should like it enough to review it as well! 2) To earn points from your house and encourage greater participation in Fiction Junction.

I will award points monthly, based on the follow scale

0 – one-liner/squeeing fangirl review without much feedback
    1 – Reasonably good review, giving at least some feedback to the author on what you like and what you didn’t.
    2 – A more detailed review which takes the author into more depth about how you felt about the fic.
    3 – A great review, filled with feedback and wonderful, useful comments for the author.

Review quality is not about length – it’s about sharing your enjoyment of a story with the author and telling them exactly what you did like and what you thought could improve. I’m not going to use my usual line and say they don’t have to be spew-worthy, because tbh, a spew worthy review is something achievable by anyone and they’re not some mythical being – just some great feedback. (Oh yes, I kind of have an ulteria motive! I want to see how great you all are at reviewing, and maybe nudge some of you in the direction of another forum near here)

In addition to the Recommendation threads, I will be keeping a closer watch on the sub-forums, and holding more frequent – hopefully once a month challenges, focused on the principles of Fiction Junction – that is, to share love of fanfictions with other readers, to find new stories to read, and possibly to inherit a plot-bunny or two.

Comments, questions, suggestions? Post them below...

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Hi Hannah,

I loved the I Challenge thee challenge concept and was going to jump in and nab one last time, but it got picked by someone else. I kept looking back at the next challenges but nothing grabbed me and in the end the thread stalled at post seven (I think) because the last challenge wasn't picked up.

If you do re-introduce this competition, is there any way you could use an alternative challenge to prevent the thread stalling... or perhaps people could post two challenges?

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Yes, Carole, I think I will implement something like that in the next I Challenge Thee - which will probably be the Feb challenge.

By the way, everyone, when posting a link to a review, it doesn't matter if you can't link to the exact review. If you just post a link to the page the review is on, I'll be able to find it based on your username (if you have a different forum username to archive, please make a note of this next to the link). This is just to keep the threads a bit tidier and also so that I see the review has actually been posted on the archive (as a review is pointless unless the author sees it).

Also, reviews posted should be your own. I will only award points for things which are your own work, so please keep this in mind.

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    This thread has now become the official announcement thread for all things happening in Fiction Junction.

As you will hopefully have seen, the January challenge has ended and February has begun. Please be a little bit patient while I total points. Some of you have made a lot of posts and i need to read and judge all your reviews! However you can entertain yourselves by working on one-shots for the I Challenge Thee. Also, don't forget that the recommendation threads still exist and whenever you read a story that you think should be read by others, please do come along and recommend it here. You can still earn points for your reviews of course.

Savannah Hen Slytherin

January Challenge Results

The Totals for the January Reviews/Recommendation Challenge are:

Ravenclaw

ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor - 86
    Amortentia x - 7
    OliveOil_Med - 25
    Tim the Enchanter - 4
    Gmariam - 4
    mahogany_wand - 4
    Hermoine Jean Granger - 76
    Kuri - 4
    Mind Games - 49

Total: 259

Hufflepuff

Equinox Chick - 34
    hestia jones - 142
    AidaLuthien - 2
    Harry_Rulz - 8
    CoolCatElly - 5

Total: 191

Slytherin

the opaleye - 14
    Annalise28 - 4

Total - 18

Gryffindor

ron lover - 40
    Sapphire at Dawn - 4
    DracoGurlFurever - 12
    LuNaLoVeGoOdLoVer - 68
    twilightHPgirl18 - 10
    the_weird_one - 2
    IckleRonniex - 12
    Lainey_Lupin - 12
    Karaley Dargen - 9
    moonymaniac - 7
    Russia Snow - 4

Total: 180

Sorry for the delay in points, but I'm sure you can imagine quite what a task it was! I have a break-down of how many points were given for each review, but it's in a rather messy spreadsheet so I don't want to post it here. If you're desperate however, please send me a PM. Also, I'm unable to provide feedback on this challenge, so hopefully you'll all trust my judgement

Results for the I Challenge Thee will be posted shortly!

deadly_muggle
    I'm sorry if this is the wrong place.
    What's happening about the April I challeneg Thee challenge? I can't find the March one either. Has the idea been dropped? I hope not!

*Crosses fingers*

Kiwi

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    I'm very sorry - I did temporarily forget about I Challenge Thee until earlier this week and for the last few days I have been rather bust with RL relocation so haven't had time to look at it. Results for the February challenge will be up hopefully within a week.

As for April, I don't think there will be a monthly challenge. I may reinstate some sort of Fiction Junction Challenge (not necessarily an I Challenge Thee) in May but I'm currently not sure. Participation has not been especially high in the previous two challenges and it may be that FJ challenges don't really have a place on the boards at the moment.

Dorkalecki Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Hello, all FJ goers!

I just wanted to stop in and say hello. I will be moderating this forum, taking over for Hannah/coolh5000 and her long, prestigious run as the ruler supreme in these parts. These will be tough shoes to fill, but I want you all to know that I am dedicated to both highlighting the best of what our archives have to offer and preparing for the next round of Quicksilver Quill Awards. I will strive to bring you both challenges and activities, as well as chances to be engaged in the site and in fandom, even if you are a reader rather than a writer. This forum is unique in that respect, giving those who don't write stories a chance to do something for their house challenge-wise that doesn't necessitate writing or knowing how to draw/art/whatever. Just love what you do, and this forum is for you!
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

QSQ-worthy banner by Minna / minnabird.