Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommend a Next Generation Fiction

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    READ THIS!!

Title: Collateral Damages
    Author: ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    Rated: 6th-7th Years Warnings: Abuse, Sexual Situations, Strong Profanity, Violence
    Summary: Albus Potter had what some would call a fascinating job -- working for the Magical Law Enforcement's intelligence department. But when suspicious activity caused the Ministry to think the infamous Knights of Walpurgis were up to something, their leading expert was called into action.
    In disguise and out of his mind, Albus embarked on an impossible task, but when things started turning for the worse, why were his only thoughts about the one person he would hurt along the way?
    Reason for Recommendation: It's insane. And yet, it's enthralling with a great plot and wonderful characters and Jess's brilliant writing. And it has far too few reviews!

EDIT: SORRY ABOUT MY CUT AND PASTE JOB, JESS! LOL!

Queen of Foals Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Title (+Link): Dust In The Wind
    Warnings/Ratings: 3rd-5th years; Mild Profanity, Sexual Situations
    Summary:Dominique Weasley took a summer job at Weasleys Wizarding Wheezes with the hope to stake her first claim of independence. All she really wanted was to be able to pay for her Yule Ball gown on her own, but one fateful day, someone strolled into the shop and turned her world upside down.

Scorpius Malfoy was sweet, confident, and completely gorgeous, but Dominique knew that he was off-limits as her cousinís ex-boyfriend. The more she tried to push him away, though, the more she questioned her resolve to do the right thing.

Reason for Recommendation: Jess gives a refreshing take on some Next-Gen characters and relationships. Her characterisation is fab - there is nothing 2D here! Also, she weaves a convincing plot throughout, despite this being a mid-length one-shot. A great read that will leave you wanting more.

Banner by me. Icon from toreadabook on lj.

Queen of Foals Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Title (+Link): Anchored
    Author: hestiajones
    Warnings/Ratings: 3rd-5th years; Slash, Strong Profanity

Summary: This day, he is worried, scared and numb. His loved ones cannot do anything about it, but someone comes along by chance and brings him back.

Reason for Recommendation: This is one of the most beautiful fics I have ever read on MNFF. The characterisation is spot on, as well as its structure and flow which kept me enthralled from beginning to end. Natalie sustains a delicious tension throughout and portrays Hugo's emotional journey with poignancy and sincerity. It's one of those fics that makes your heart ache and leaves you stunned once it comes to an end.

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Title (+Link) Remember the Slytherins
    Author: iLuna17
    Warnings/Ratings: 6th-7th years; Abuse, DH Spoilers, Mild Profanity, Violence
    Summary: There is a thin line between love and hate. There is an even thinner line between Gryffindor and Slytherin; the willingness to do anything to achieve their goals. Gryffindors cannot see the big picture, and if they come to a decision to choose between the greater good and their loved ones or himself, they would sacrifice the world for their friends.

Slytherins are different. We know the value of sacrifice, but there is something else that separates us from those who wear red and gold. We will fight as hard as we can, in any way possible, even if it may be seen as unjustified or morally wrong. Gryffindors let their consciences get in the way of the greater goal. We don’t, but no one believes that we can fight for the right cause. They remember us as the evil, idiotic, or simply power hungry. They don’t remember us for what we are; who we are. We’re here to change that.

They will remember us, and they will remember us as those who fought all prejudice and cruelty simply because were were done with it. They will remember us, and the next time they think of a phoenix rising from the ashes they will remember this phrase:

Remember the Slytherins.
    Reason for Recommendation: This fic is just superb! It gives a different view on would life would be like after the war and how grudges are often still held years later. I find myself intrigued to find out more about the past of these few Slytherin pupils, who have now become a minority due to peoples distrust of the house and what it once stood for. Ellie has created a fascinating OC and has a delightful style that really captures your attention and makes you want to read on.

~Abi~

This gorgeous banner is by TM_WandStick/Toni =)
    JOIN THE SBBC!
    ON HIATUS

First Year Hufflepuff
    In the Rubble at Godric's Hollow
    Title (+Link): The History Teacher - http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/view...2974&warning=5
    Author: iLuna17
    Warnings/Ratings: Strong Profanity
    Summary: Maybe he didnít just love history, maybe he loved being a history teacher.
    Reason for Recommendation: This story is very sweet and motivational. Teddy has so much energy, and he really inspires his students. He'd be the sort of teacher I'd want to have.
    Review (optional): http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/revi...=ST&item=92974

read my fic, maybe?
    banner and avvie by me

Queen of Foals Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Title: Today Is Victory Day
    Author: Maple_and_PheonixFeather
    Warnings/Ratings: 1st-2nd years; none
    Summary: Victory Day. A day of celebration and remembrance . For Lily, it is also a day of confusion and sadness. She wants to understand in a world that knows no terror. This year, she'll discover exactly what Victory Day means to her.

Reason for Recommendation: There is a very good reason as to why this is one of my favourite Next Gen fics I've read. It truly captures the confusion, frustration and disconnect that the Next Generation would face in the wake of Voldemort's destruction and Harry's victory. It's a refreshing take on what is usually a very romance-centric category.
    Review (optional): At the bottom!

Title: The Last Casualty
    Author: Trinsy
    Warnings/Ratings: 1st-2nd years; none
    Summary: Nobody really wins in a war. Scenes from Teddy Lupin’s complicated childhood. The story of the last two casualties of the war against Voldemort.
    Reason for Recommendation: Much like Today Is Victory Day, this fic focuses on a Next Gen character and the way they attempt to navigate the burdens and blessings of being born into a Voldemort-free world. This is a beautiful portrayal of Teddy and his relationships with Harry, Andromeda, and Victoire, using Victory Day as a backdrop and contrast between the grief and mourning for the losses suffered with the joyous occasion of Victoire's birthday. Well-structure, beautifully written, and excellently characterised, this is another favourite Next Gen fic that is sure to leave a lasting impression.
    Review (optional): Here.

Title: Watching from a Distance
    Author: Gmariam
    Warnings/Ratings: 6th-7th years; Sexual Situations, Slash, Substance Abuse
    Summary: Scorpius Malfoy is celebrating the end of seventh year when he runs into a former girlfriend. She brings him over to the Gryffindor table, where he finally interacts with someone he's been watching for a while, someone he thinks about far too often. Their interaction and future plans give him hope, but the night ends with a crushing reminder that he wants someone he cannot have.

Reason for Recommendation: For a one-shot, the dynamic between all the characters feels so natural and well-paced that it's almost like we already know them. While they are clearly products of their parents, each character feels like an individual--they are not mere miniature versions of the Trio and co. I also love the heart-ache and passion that reverberates through the entire fic and the way the reader is always left a little in the dark until the very end. It's satisfying to read just once but can be read over and over and be just as enjoyable.
    Review (optional): I can't believe I've never reviewed this!

Title: Rest In The Bed
    Author: welshdevondragon
    Warnings/Ratings: 6th-7th years; Book 7 Disregarded, Sexual Situations, Strong Profanity
    Summary: "This is the last night I will spend in our flat. I have spent sixty-nine nights here without you, and I can only manage one more."

"I can't remember falling out of love with you. I've just--I've just fallen in love with someone else, so maybe what we had wasn't love in the first place."

Lily is leaving the flat she and Scorpius shared for five years, in the hope that she can move on. Some things, however, are hard to forget.

Reason for Recommendation: This is an achingly sad one-shot. While its tethers to the Potterverse are slim, it gives an interesting perspective on a Next-Gen ship that sometimes falls into neat, generic boxes. It's just two characters, clear products of their parents, and the painful unraveling of their life together.

Title: Girl Beneath the Stars
    Warnings/Ratings: 3rd-5th years; Mild Profanity
    Summary: On the day that Teddy Lupin begins his new life with Victoire Weasley, his bride, Lily Potter's heart breaks.
    Reason for Recommendation: This gives an heart-achingly accurate portrayal of unrequited love. If you want something to tug at your heartstrings while simultaneously cheer for Lily to let go and move on, then this is the fic for you. The way Jess tells this fic from two different perspectives is really well-done too.
    Review (optional): Here. In the middle somewhere.

Title: Swans
    Author: Equinox Chick
    Warnings/Ratings: 3rd-5th years; Mild Profanity, Sexual Situations, Violence
    Summary:I’m twenty-seven years old, so why can’t I just say no, or plead a headache and stay in my room?

Molly (jnr) was a Weasley with a difference. Not sparkling, not brave, not reckless. She was diligent and loyal, and usually overlooked.

For who notices ducklings when swans are gliding by?
    Reason for Recommendation: This fic takes an oft-ignored Next Gen character from an oft-ignored Next Gen family and builds her up into someone so very real that it's hard to believe this isn't something by J.K. Rowling herself! This is enthralling from start to finish with some wonderful (and awful) characters, a bit of mystery, a bit of sexy (oh la la), and brings something truly refreshing to the Next Gen category.

Title: The Only One
    Author: Equinox Chick
    Warnings/Ratings: 6th-7th years; Mild Profanity, Sexual Situations
    Summary:Victoire Weasley is in her third year studying to be a Healer. She is beautiful. She is bright. But she's alone. Since splitting up with Teddy Lupin, only one person has come close to disturbing her dreams.

Unfortunately, he happens to be the professor standing in front of her. She knows he has a partner, but she also knows that he's distracted.

This story is a prequel to my Next Gen fic High. It is not necessary to read that to understand this, but reading Lavender, blue - A Gryffindor True might help, although you should get the gist.
    Reason for Recommendation: This is an interesting mix of both Post-Hogwarts and Next Gen.

Title: The Soul Thief
    Author: hestiajones
    Warnings/Ratings: Professors; Abuse, Character Death, Mental Disorders, Self Injury, Strong Profanity, Substance Abuse, Suicide, Violence
    Summary: We consider each other, two shattered entities unexpectedly brought together, their homes within easy reach yet far removed. “Hello,” I say. The gesture is almost comical. I just greeted myself.

“How was it?” she asks. Her chest falls and rises visibly, rapidly. I stare at it. It’s my heart there, pounding.

My answer is a single, inadequate word.
    Reason for Recommendation: This is the weirdest, most mind-bending fic I've read and it's absolutely brilliant. It will tie you up in knots and certainly be one of the most memorable fics you ever read.
    Review (optional): Coming soon.

Will edit in more once the archives decide to cooperate.