Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a Next Generation Fiction

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower

Recommend a Next Generation Fiction

Read an exciting stoy about the next generation of children to start Hogwarts after the war and think everyone else should read it too? Recommend it here!

Form:

PHP Code:
    [B]Title (+Link):[/B]
    [
    B]Author:[/B]
    [
    b]Warnings/Ratings:[/b]
    [
    b]Summary:[/b]
    [
    B]Reason for Recommendation:[/B]
    [
    B]Review (optional):[/B

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Fifth Year Slytherin
    What's With Mars?
    Title (+Link): Hogwarts Houses Divided
    Author: Inverarity
    Reason for Recommendation: This truly is a great story. It is filled with amazing plot points and the characterization is incredible. I never wanted it to end.

I am unsure if Inverarity has moved this story from Post-Hogwarts yet, but it definitely is a Next-Gen story.

Ronnie, Lyss, Becca, Andi, you guys are amazing. <3

I'M BACK, BABY! *evil laugh*

Queen of Foals Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    You're Fraternising with the Enemy!!!
    Title (+Link): In the Stillness of Night
    Author: cassie123
    Rating and Warnings: 6th-7th years - DH Spoilers, Mild Profanity, Sexual Situations
    Summary:
    The night is still, crisp, unforgiving. I take my time to walk the stone path, staring down at the rough detail on every circular rock. This is my preparation for my own self-exposure. Iím composing myself before the time comes for me to unravel.

To tell the truth isn't always easy, not even for the ones you love.

A Scorpius Malfoy/Lily Potter one shot.
    Reason for Recommendation: This is one of my favourite fics of all time. It puts a different spin on the Scorpius Next-Gen thing, pairing him with Lily as opposed to Rose. It is beautifully written and a rather lengthy one-shot so it will satisfy those looking for something substantial.

Lovely banner by Minna! Icon from toreadabook on lj.

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Title (+Link): Hogwarts Houses Divided
    Author: Inverarity
    Reason for Recommendation: With gripping storytelling and superb characterisation, Inverarity delivers this brilliant and thought-provoking tale of Teddy Lupin and his friends' experiences and perils during their first year at Hogwarts. This is a very entertaining tale, and simply excellent.
    Review (optional): link to review

Inverarity shows his skill as a writer by weaving this tale of self-discovery, intrigue, and good old-fashioned action and chaos. Hogwarts Houses Divided is a delightful read, that is as entertaining as it is thought-provoking. From Deathly Hallows, we get a small glimpse into the future, but it is a future that hasn't really evolved from the series we are familiar with - Inverarity tackles this question of what the post-Hogwarts scenario is like head on. He makes us consider what it means to be a Gryffindor, or a Slytherin, or a Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff. It also makes you think about things like censorship, punishment as a deterrence, and perceptions of justice. By the end of the story, I had to wonder which side was really in the right.

The characterisation is excellent, of not only the canon characters (just eleven years aged), but also the whole slew of OCs. They (I'll include Teddy Lupin, since we know virtually nothing about him) are very believable characters, and really act like they're eleven years-old. They are immature (to varying degrees), usually don't think things through, and do some REALLY stupid things that make you the reader want to cringe and say, "What were you THINKING?" But that's what makes this story great - none of the characters are infallible, and there are real consequences for their actions, something Harry Potter tends to get away with.

The plot is very cleverly crafted. At the beginning of the novel, it appears to be any ordinary "new kid at Hogwarts fic", where the first years discover the castle and all of that fun stuff. However, it soon becomes apparent that the story will become much more wilder than that, which it does. There are a multitude of red herrings in this fic, that make you think the story will go in one direction, but when you're totally not expecting it, it makes a complete 180-degree turn and does something else. There is plenty of suspense and twists, and Hogwarts Houses Divided is completely unpredictable and full of surprises.

Overall, a brilliant read.

~ Tim the Enchanter
    Tim the Enchanter

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Title (+Link): A Little More Time
    Author: Pallas
    Reason for Recommendation: This isn't just the best Next-Gen fic I've read, it's probably the best fanfic I've ever read. Pallas just captures something very Rowlingesque in her story but also adds so much more. The story is amazing. The writing is original and she rights a very great wrong (Remus and Tonks dying)
    Review (optional): Facing fate

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Title (+Link):When Worlds Collide
    Author:jenny b
    Warnings/Ratings:6th-7th Years: DH Spoilers, Mild Profanity, Sexual Situations
    Summary: Rose was a Weasley. She never gave Scorpius Malfoy a second glance. They were sworn enemies, even though they’d barely even spoken to each other. But sometimes all it takes for love to blossom is a Potions lesson, a few snide remarks and a dropped book.

Two people. Two entirely different worlds that are suddenly intertwined.
    Reason for Recommendation:It's one of my favorite Rose/Scorpius ships, and I really hope it gets finished, because it's a lot of fun to read. There are also some angsty parts, which give extra credence to the fate of being a Malfoy. The characterizations are stellar.
    Review (optional):nope...nothing good

Title (+Link):A Fresh Start
    Author:Hypatia
    Warnings/Ratings:1st-2nd Years: Abuse, DH Spoilers, Mental Disorders
    Summary:Scorpius Malfoy was brought up in the knowledge that he came from an old pure-blood family. Hogwarts is going to teach him a great deal more. Will he be able to rise above his family’s tainted past, or will history repeat itself?
    Reason for Recommendation:This is technically a mystery, but since there is no thread for that, this is where it would most likely be otherwise. This tells of a young Mister Malfoy who finds himself in Gryffindor. His grandparents are scandalized, but Draco doesn't seem to care much, just proud that his son is doing so well in school, even if he is friends with Rose and Albus. It is a great story about Scorpius being given a special opportunity to rewrite history about the Malfoy family. It's complete, so no long-term cliffhanger.
    Review (optional):Meh, could be worth a point.
    http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/revi...&chapid=102446

Title (+Link):The Letter
    Author:Cassandra Cross
    Reason for Recommendation:The story/plot/everything was absolutely brilliant, and it was agonizing from start to finish, because I was desperate for Harry to figure out that his family was more important that his job.
    Rating/Warnings: 6th-7th Years: DH Spoilers, Sexual Situations
    Summary: Harry is so consumed with his career as an Auror that he loses touch with Ginny and their children until a letter arrives to help him remember what really matters. But is something sinister waiting out there to take it all away? An escape from Azkaban, the first in twenty years, stirs up Harry's worst fears from the past as those he loves are threatened. Romance, mystery, and drama combine to make this a story you won't soon forget! Set one year before DH epilogue.
    Review (optional): It's not a great one, because I truly could not find the proper way to articulate how spectacular this fic was. http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/revi...8&chapid=91806

Title (+Link):The Arcane ScoRA and the Wand of MacArt
    Author:OliveOil_Med/Molly
    Warnings/Ratings:1st-2nd Years: DH Spoilers
    Summary:When Albus, Rose, and Scorpius are put on the train to their first year at Hogwarts, their parents have simple hopes for them. Namely to have the normal, boring school years they never got to experience themselves. But sometimes, we ask too much of our children.

When the school becomes plagued by invasions of wild beasts, three different students from three different houses follow in the footsteps of the generation before them, but strive to achive the one thing none of their predesesors ever could: DON'T GET CAUGHT!
    Reason for Recommendation:It's adorable, it's charming, it's canon compliant (always a plus for me), but mostly, it's pretty darned creative in terms of plot and characterization.
    Review (optional): http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/revi...&chapid=107992
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

DracoGurlFurever
    Title (+Link): Our Little Secret
    Author: Kerichi
    Reason for Recommendation: A classic Scorpius/Rose story that takes its time to set things up and get them right rather than rushing into just anything, and I love it for exactly that reason.
    Review (optional): here!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    Title Non Compos Mentis
    Author: ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    Reason for Recommendation: Adorable story about the Potter/Weasley kids! It's very well-written, and the characters instantly come to life. I loved it.
    Review (optional): Click!

Title: The Difference You Made
    Author: Padfoot Patronus
    Reason for Recommendation: I read this story a while ago but I still remember it, so that says something. I thought the story was a nice reflection on Harry through the eyes of Albus. I especially enjoyed reading Akay's next-gen characterizations. The last line was great.
    Review: Click!

Second Year Ravenclaw
    Beset by Owls

Next Generation Fic

Hey - here are a couple I've enjoyed!

Title - Potter's Pentagon: The Five (Book One)
    Author - Schmerg_The_Impaler
    Warnings/Ratings - 1st-2nd Years, Book 7 Disregarded
    Summary - WARNING! This story contains a jingle-bell antler headband, a shower of potatoes, boy/girl mushiness, underwear karaoke, family trouble, an excessively adorable werewolf, death, the song "Werewolves of London," betrayal, and the word 'Jordan' five times in a row near the beginning of chapter seven.

Twenty-one years after Voldemort's defeat, five fourth-years are faced with a new threat. Will all of the five stay true to the light side? Will they all emerge whole in the end? Will Jordan Potter ever get a life? You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll gasp, you'll sigh! Part one in a trilogy!

Reason for recommendation - It's just plain hilarious, humorous and captivating that you will probably read this in about two hours straight like I did. It's a trilogy, and the third book is even better than the first two. She began writing this before Deathly Hallows came out, so just disregard the epilogue as well.

Also, I agree with some of the recommendations already above - Our Little Secret by Kerichi, When Worlds Collide by jennyb, The Arcane ScoRA and the Wand of MacArt by OliveOil_Med and The Letter by Cassandra Cross. They're all worth looking at!

Also I just put the first chapter of my own Next Generation fic, The Gryffindor Gang up. My signiture is the story banner. You should check it out when it's up there. It's also a trilogy:

Title - The Gryffindor Gang (Part One)

Author - U-No-Poo

Warings/Ratings - 1st-2nd Years, None

Summary - Five students - Albus Potter, Rose Weasley, Scorpius Malfoy, Claudia Kelaney and Adam Finnegan. Five different stories. One house - Gryffindor.

Join The Gryffindor Gang, five unlikely best friends, as they enter Hogwarts School of WItchcraft and Wizardry as first year students. Throught the year, they must overcome their own personal battles. Albus just doesn't seem to get out of his father's spotlight - will people treat him like himself, or as Harry Potter's son? Scorpius is dealing with his family too - being a Malfoy in Gryffindor isn't exactly peachy for him. Claudia's started slowly adjusting to the wizarding world, but will her sneaky, horrible roommate cause Rose and Claudia big trouble? And Adam's just not having the perfect start to Hogwarts that he'd have liked.

These are all trying problems when you're eleven years old. But their real test happens when danger is thrown into all five of their lives, threatening them all. Will they be able to overcome their biggest battle yet together?

This is Part One in The Gryffindor Gang Trilogy.

Reasons for recommendation - I know it's weird, recommending your own fic. But if you want, you should read it. I think I've done a pretty good job, and all the interesting boy-girl mushiness comes in later. They are only eleven, after all!

Anyway, hope this all helps!

Back from a ridiculously long hiatus.

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Swallowing the Golden Snitch
    Title (+Link): High
    Author: Equinox Chick
    Warnings/Ratings: 6th-7th Years/Strong Profanity
    Summary: Scorpius Malfoy is the Seeker for Slytherin. Not only that - he's the best Seeker at Hogwarts, and it's his catches that win Slytherin matches. But this year things have changed. Albus Potter has switched to Chaser and the new Gryffindor Seeker is his annoying little sister.

This is the story of how one match, and one missed catch, can change someone's life.
    Reason for Recommendation: Scorpius and Lily are two very real, very fleshed out characters in this. There is just enough of their parents in them and just enough uniqueness. So, to sum it up: Carole's characterisation skills are made of WIN!
    Review (optional): Awesome sauce!
    Last edited by ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor; 09-04-2011 at 06:17 PM.