Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a Poem

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower

Recommend a Poem

Read a really amazing poem recently and think everyone else should read it too? Recommend it here!

Form:

PHP Code:
    [B]Title (+Link):[/B]
    [
    B]Author:[/B]
    [
    b]Warnings/Ratings:[/b]
    [
    b]Summary:[/b]
    [
    B]Reason for Recommendation:[/B]
    [
    B]Review (optional):[/B

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Waddiwasi!
    Title (+Link): Cauchemar
    Author: the opaleye
    Reason for Recommendation: A dark, intense and beautifully written poem from the opaleye which explores the characters - Harry and Ginny, Harry's demons and Ginny's strength and encouragement.
    Review (optional): HERE!

Title (+Link): I Will Survive
    Author: KarasAunty
    Reason for Recommendation: Ron. Spiders. Gloria Gaynor's I Will Survive. Laugh Riot.
    Review (optional):
    ]

Banner by BELLA THE HELLA. <3

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor

Title (+Link): Celestina: The Lost Album
    Author: KarasAunty
    Reason for Recommendation: This is a series of poems that Celestina could have written. They are funny and they are very well written.
    Review (optional): here

Title (+Link): I Lost My Name
    Author: Over Sea Green Hills
    Warnings/Ratings: none, 1-2 years
    Summary:
    Have you ever wondered what talking to Gilderoy Lockhart after he lost his memory was like?
    Reason for Recommendation: This poem is about Lockheart after he lost his memory. The author writes Lockheart amaxingly. He is IC the whole time, which is great because we don't know much of whet happened after he lost his mind.
    Review (optional): here
    ily Andi, Lise, Ronnie, and Becca.

Banner by Bine/Luinrina. Lise/Annalise made my fun-to-look-at avvie. I've been ghosted!

DracoGurlFurever
    Title (+Link): Cho's Goodbye
    Reason for Recommendation: A truly amazing poem that changed my view of Cho from simply someone who moved the events surrounding the Yule Ball along to a character in her own right, with her own dreams and wishes (and losses).
    Review (optional): here!

twilightHPgirl18
    Title (+Link): I Am Alive

Warnings/Ratings:

Summary:
    After his conversation with Dumbledore at King's Cross, Harry wakes and reflects on life and what it means.
    Reason for Recommendation: The way this is written, it's extremely touching. It's not the kind of thing one would think to come from Harry, but at the same time, it's so realistic. As Harry wakes up in the Forest, he really could think some of these things. The way it's intercut with sequences from 'The Flaw in the Plan' really made it realistic too, and the way that the stanzas repeat the feeling of the chapter... It's just fabulous.

Review (optional): n/a

Becca

Hermoine Jean Granger
    Title (+Link): Siren's Song
    Author: Phia Phoenix
    Warnings/Ratings: 3rd-5th years; Dubious Consent, Abuse
    Summary: The Greek breed of merpeople are known as Sirens, and have entranced many a foolish sailor to his watery doom by means of their fair singing. But in many cultures there are tales of Sirens who have succumbed to the same snare they have spun so many: love.
    Reason for Recommendation: Brilliant writing; I absolutely love the way the author has brought about contrast in the poem. So profound and intricate, and you can nearly feel what the protagonist is going through.
    Review (optional): Here

Title (+Link): A Ticket to Joy
    Author: Heather25x
    Warnings/Ratings: None; 1st- 2nd Years
    Summary: To Harry, Hogwarts always felt more like home than Privet Drive. As readers, we often forget how elated Harry must feel when he is leaving Private Drive - a place of lonliness and anger - to Hogwarts - a place of excitement and joy - after a long summer. This is my take on what must have been going through Harry's mind when he rode the Hogwarts Express every September.
    Reason for Recommendation: A simple, remarkable poem which really gets you thinking about the short duration of life. Harry's feelings when he travels on the Hogwarts Express are brought about really well, and it's got a lot more than what's just seen on surface. Simple writing with a lot of meaning has got to be the deal-clincher for this one.

Title (+Link): Eclipse
    Author: BertieBotsBeans741
    Warnings/Ratings: None; 1st-2nd years
    Summary: This is a poem of how Narcissa feels when she learns of the task Draco must complete in HBP.
    Reason for Recommendation: Beautiful imagery. Narcissa's characterisation is very, very good, and while remaining within the walls of canon, the author manages to add so much substance to the character that we don't know a lot about.

Title (+Link): The Sorting Hat Epic
    Author: GryffindorGoddess
    Warnings/Ratings: None; 1st-2nd years
    Summary: Itís a new year and the Sorting Hat has been much very bored. Now itís time to show off what a yearís worth of free time will do as the Sorting Ceremony is about to begin!
    Reason for Recommendation: As the title says, it's an epic. More than 1500 words, but each and every stanza has so much meaning and the ending is just perfect.
    Review (optional): Not really good, I'm afraid

Title (+Link): A Letter For Fred
    Author: PadfootnPeeves
    Warnings/Ratings: None; 1st- 2nd Years
    Summary: George is feeling depressed after his brother's death. Molly suggests to write out his feelings- but how will that turn out? A rather sentimental poem from George to Fred.
    Reason for Recommendation: George's reaction just seems so natural in the poem. Great work on getting his characterisation right.

Title (+Link): Prisoner of Life
    Author: HermyRox12
    Warnings/Ratings: 1st- 2nd years; None
    Summary: A poem from the point of view of an Azkaban prisoner.
    Reason for Recommendation: In so few words, the poet manages to fit in such a lot of emotion that you just have to sit back and admire it.

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Snape Hates Me
    Title (+Link):Let Sleeping Wolves Lie
    Author:Foxy Wolf
    Warnings/Ratings: None/1st year
    Summary: A poem of Remus Lupin's first love at Hogwarts. James and Sirius, being the true Marauders they are, tease him about his feelings. Remus ignores his friends and enjoys the secret rendevouzs but knows he'll always be doomed when it comes to loving someone else.
    Reason for Recommendation: This is just such a beautifully written piece of poetry that everyone should read it. Foxy Wolf puts so much emotion and imagery into such a few words. Itís brilliant. And itís about Remus, so whatís not to love?

Queen of Foals Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Growing Gills
    I am shocked there have been no recommendations for any of Jan's poems. I have to fix this immediately.

Title (+Link): Love's Protection.
    Author: Magical Maeve
    Warnings/Ratings: 1st-2nd years; character death
    Summary: When Lily falls at the hands of Voldemort there are unexpected benefits, but for Severus Snape there is only sorrow.
    Reason for Recommendation: Jan's language is just beautiful and emotionally powerful. You will be left with a feeling of complete awe at the mastery of her construction and the amount of depth. Just amazing.

Jan has written so many poems and I wish I could list them all here but I highly recommend that you visit her author's page for more of her amazing work. You will not be disappointed. I promise.

Lovely banner by Minna! Icon from toreadabook on lj.

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    Title (+Link): Voldemort
    Author: James B Stigma
    Warnings/Ratings: 1st-2nd years; DH spoilers
    Summary: A poem of the night Voldemort was defeated, written in the style of "Jabberwocky" by Lewis Carroll.
    Reason for Recommendation: I like poems that are based on other poems, and I love that this one is based on a poem by Lewis Carroll. "Jabberwocky" is such a strange but cool piece, and this version parallels it very nicely in the Potterverse. The rhythm and rhyme are well-done and it tells a story as well. If you like Lewis Carroll, you'll like this one!

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Title (+Link): Dumbledore's Farewell
    Warnings/Ratings: 1st-2nd Years: Character Death
    Summary:
    Then he gazed down at the wise old face and tried to absorb the enormous and incomprehensble truth: that never again would Dumbledore speak to him, never again could he help...

A poem.

Reason for Recommendation: Holy crap, it was so moving and emotive, I can't even describe it. I just finished reading it, and I'm so in awe, everything I try to say about it sounds stupid in comparison to how brilliant it really was. Read it... it's so worth it.
    Review (optional): I don't think I could do it justice
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.