Thread: Recommend a Marauder Fiction

Hybrid View

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower

Recommend a Marauder Fiction

Read a story about Harry's parents and their friends and think everyone else should read it too? Recommend it here!

Form:

PHP Code:
    [B]Title (+Link):[/B]
    [
    B]Author:[/B]
    [
    b]Warnings/Ratings:[/b]
    [
    b]Summary:[/b]
    [
    B]Reason for Recommendation:[/B]
    [
    B]Review (optional):[/B

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Title (+Link): The Cause
    Author: P ussycat 123
    Warnings/Ratings: None 3rd-5th
    Summary:
    Marty Price works for The Cause, which involves several campaigns and petitions on a weekly basis. It has become common knowledge within Hogwarts that if you see her coming towards you with a clipboard, you should turn and walk the other way. Or perhaps deny all grasp of the English language. And if this isn’t eccentric enough, there’s also her obsessive written observations of four boys in her year, which will one day make a rather interesting book ...

Remus Lupin, meanwhile, has always been a little different, too. Poor, sweet Remus Lupin is, to the casual observer, the picture of a sensible, hard working student. However, he has three friends who have done more for him than anyone knows and they have done this because of his troubled past, troubled present and troubled future. Why the gloominess? Because Remus Lupin just so happens to be a werewolf.

So what could these two possibly have in common? And how can their stories possibly connect?
    Reason for Recommendation: This story was one of the first chaptered fics I read, and I anxiously awaited updates. The OC is believable, the Marauders are IC and for once it doesn't focus on James and Lily getting together (although that is in the background). Worth reading for the wonderful Maraudery banter and for Marty Price who is suberb.
    Review (optional):

Title (+Link): A Tale of Six Perspectives
    Author: hestia jones
    Warnings/Ratings: Mild Profanity. 1st-2nd
    Summary:
    The whoosh of a speeding Bludger was followed by the scream of a female voice.
    Slytherin Chaser Armis Berkley was knocked off her broom, and she fell through the air.

James Potter, Gryffindor Chaser, gripped his broom and sped towards the falling body, even though he knew he’d never reach her in time.

Severus Snape blanched. Berkley always pestered him in the common room, asking him to help her with Charms homework.

Sirius Orion Black jumped up from his seat as the rest of the spectators did. A single obscene curse escaped his lips.

Peter Pettigrew prayed. Dear God, please don’t…no…no…

Lily Evans gasped as an odd monotonous sound rang in her ears.

Remus John Lupin shuddered involuntarily. DUMBLEDORE!
    Reason for Recommendation: Because this is a truly brilliant story where all the Marauders plus Lily and Snape are in character. They are connected by a single event, and the differing reactions are explored well.
    Review (optional): review is somewhere on this page

Title (+Link): Unwanted Gifts
    Author: jenny b
    Warnings/Ratings: None, 1st-2nd
    Summary:
    Lily Evans and Severus Snape were best friends. Always had been, perhaps always would be. But there is a thin line between them – a line that has always held Severus back from showing Lily how he really feels about her.

One Christmas, he steps over the line, and gives Lily a simple gift she did not ask for. A kiss.
    Reason for Recommendation: A good, well-written story about friendship and also the possibility that things could have been different.
    Review (optional):

~Carole (who can't quite believe this cat has no recommendations in it.)
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

**plotbunnies**
    Title (+Link): Symphony for Quartet
    Author: Tinn Tam
    Warnings/Ratings: 3rd-5th years, none
    Summary:
    What did being a Marauder truly mean?... Let's just say that some tunes cannot be played by a lone musician; and those four's lives were certainly not soloists' scores. In class or in detention, in Quidditch matches or full-moon wanderings, fleeing before monsters or confronting dark wizards, they wrote, measure after measure, their own eight-handed piece.

Messrs Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs, are proud to present a Symphony for Quartet.
    Reason for Recommendation: This is a great story about the Marauders as they meet and start to grow up. It's become the principal way I view the characters and how their lives conjoin. Since reading this story, I probably can never write a Marauder's era fic, because all my thoughts are based off of this. It's written amazingly well, and you can really get the scope of each of the charachters.

-Anne

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    Title: Fools
    Author: lyin
    Warnings/Ratings: Character Death/ 6-7th year
    Summary:
    Once there were two brothers named Prewett, a McKinnon girl who danced and died, and a Black who could never be serious...
    Reason for Recommendation: A sad, sad story, something for rainy days, when all that water is just not enough and you feel like crying?

I liked this story because it shows the 'just before the end' of a few characters in a very realistic and touching manner. The author has an amazing imagination and I'm thinking a brilliant command over the characters (Sirius, Gideon, James, Marlene...) which comes off strongly in their quirks and dialogues and the relationship each of them share with the others. I love how the scenes just seem to stick in your mind even though often many characters are handled at the same time, but it's really a treat to read and pick up the avid scenes that bring them together, then break them. It's the sort of story I'll keep coming back to.

Review

"Same story, different versions, and all are true."
    - Tia Dalma, Pirates of the Caribbean II

Lovely banner by ze bean and avatar from the brilliant
    LJ home of mrserinreynolds

deviantART page here

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Title (+Link): Wish You Were Here
    Author: hestiajones
    Warnings/Ratings: 1st-2nd/ Mild Profanity
    Summary:
    Friends or family? One brother chooses the first, the other the second – and their choices tore them apart. Yet Regulus never hated Sirius.
    Reason for Recommendation: An interesting story about the brothers who grew apart. Sirius isn't shown to be an angel, by any means, and Regulus isn't the bad guy. It's a shame they couldn't be reconciled because this fic shows they had more in common that just their parents. It's also a song fic that works!
    Review (optional):

~Carole~

Banner by minnabird

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Title (+Link): Trickster

Author: Willow Rosenberg

Warnings/Ratings: 3rd-5th Years Warnings: DH Spoilers

Summary:
    After the disastrous events of the end of the Marauder's fifth year, a fuming Lily Evans decides that that arrogant James Potter and his friends need a taste of their own medicine. The straight-laced Prefect suddenly finds herself pranking her class's trickiest boys--and maybe even enjoying it. Coupled with a series of mysterious apology letters that Lily has begun receiving, it's bound to be an interesting year.
    Reason for Recommendation: It's an amazing fanfic as it is humorous in some places and sad in others. It starts from the end of fifth year and finishes at the end of sixth. Another reason why I like it is because in some other fics I have read, Lily falls in love with James almost over night, however in Trickster their relationship builds up gradually. I think that all the marauders and Lily are characterized really well and even little Peter isn't shoved away in a broom closet and forgotten about. I managed to read the story with-in a day as I simply could not stop reading it!
    Review (optional):

I would also like to recommend the sequel to Trickster:

Title (+Link): Stars Apart

Author: Willow Rosenberg

Warnings/Ratings: 6th-7th Years Warnings: DH Spoilers

Summary:
    The sequel to “Trickster”: The Marauders return to Hogwarts for their seventh and final year. Lily and James juggle more responsibility than ever, and James learns that convincing Lily to go on an actual date with him is harder than he would have imagined. Remus frets about post-Hogwarts life while Peter drifts even further from his friends. But when Sirius discovers a group of fourth-years who are bound and determined to steal the Marauders’ title of Greatest Hogwarts Troublemakers he wages war, rallying his friends so they can maintain their legacy. Meanwhile, outside the castle grounds, Voldemort is gathering supporters in unending preparation for a much darker battle…
    Reason for Recommendation:Again it's an amazing fanfic as it is humorous in some places and sad in others but it is also a lot darker than Trickster. Voldemort is gaining power and with the war starting the Marauders and Lily start to feel the strain. It isn't finished yet but the chapters so far have been excellent and arre always well worth the wait. You would need to read Trickster first otherwise some of it wouldn't make sense. I have reread it many a times and I never get bored of it!
    Review (optional):

~Abi~

This gorgeous banner is by TM_WandStick/Toni =)
    JOIN THE SBBC!
    ON HIATUS

Ascendio
    Title (+Link): You Want to Make a Memory?
    Author: Potter
    Warnings/Ratings: Character Death, DH Spoilers, Strong Profanity, Violence/3rd-5th years

Summary: This is the story of four boys. This is the story of a boy from a family he wants to escape from. This is the story of a boy who is from a family he loves deeply, but lacks the gift of a best friend. This is the story of a boy who has been living with a curse his entire life, fighting to overcome it. This is the story of a boy who wishes to show people what he can do. This is the story of how these four boys came to know each other, of how they became friends. This is the story of their unbreakable bond, of a bond that could survive any test, any trial. This is a story that will ultimately end in tragedy.

Reason for Recommendation: One of the first fics I came across on MNFF and still one of my very favorites. It is long, but not a moment wasted. It shows viewpoints from all the Marauders, and its spot on characaterization and has a superb plot, from their first year, until the times of James and Lily's death.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Lockhart Removed My Bones!
    Title (+Link): Battlefields
    Author: Sapphire At Dawn
    Warnings/Ratings: 1st-2nd Years/ Violence
    Summary:

Christmas 1976. Lily Evans is standing in the shadow of a war that for the first time is affecting her Christmas spirit. A reprieve from the gloom comes in the form of a Muggle boy from her hometown, someone who the war cannot touch and is unaffected by the fear it causes. However, dark times lie ahead, and Lily begins to realise that there are some things she just cannot escape, however hard she tries.
    Reason for Recommendation: This is a fantastic one-shot. Yes its long, but Sarah's writing is so good that you are whizzed along, even when the plot mainly consists of Lily's state of mind during one Christmas. The integration of the Muggle and Magical worlds is really well done, as is Lily's relationship with her family and Severus. One thing I particularly liked about this story was that while we are aware of James' presence in her life, he at this point (Christmas of Sixth Year) does not have that much importance for her-she neither dislikes him nor really likes him. What's far more important, and original, is how Lily feels about the coming war and how it will affect her. Its beautifully written and Lily's characterisation and thought processes are just excellent.
    Banner by Minna.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Title (+Link): Love And Order
    Author: Gmariam
    Warnings/Ratings: Character Death, Mild Profanity, Sexual Situations, Violence
    Summary:
    When impulsive new Auror Alice Hamilton is partnered with the more serious and experienced Frank Longbottom, neither is quite sure what to expect. They have a history, after all, and a different way of approaching the job. Yet in a world where dark forces continue to threaten the safety and security of the magical community, they must work together in spite of their feelings--especially when it becomes clear that You-Know-Who is planning a major offensive that will threaten both their relationship and their lives.
    Reason for Recommendation: There are so many James/Lily stories on the archives dealing with this era, but very few about Frank and Alice. This is in Other Pairing, but I'm recommending here because it's not just about the pairing but the fight against Voldemort, which often gets forgotten in Marauder Era stories.
    Review (optional):
    I don't leave very good reviews, but this is the one I left for the first chapter.

"Remember what?" asked a strong, clear voice. "Not April 27th, 1974, by chance?"

Hahahahah - you had me hooked right at that point - heh heh heh. This looks very promising, Gina. I do love your Frank and think you've fleshed him out well, making him a real character. There's a tendency, I know, to make Frank and Alice just like James and Lily, or both versions of an older Neville, but I'm really getting a sense here of what your Framk is really like. I love the fact that everyone thinks he's boring and humourless, but then right at the end you slipped in a joke and showed us his humour. He's so dry - I LOVE him!

Carole

Banner by minnabird