Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a Historical Fiction

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower

Recommend a Historical Fiction

Read an interesting History story recently and think everyone else should read it too? Recommend it here!

Form:

PHP Code:
    [B]Title (+Link):[/B]
    [
    B]Author:[/B]
    [
    b]Warnings/Ratings:[/b]
    [
    b]Summary:[/b]
    [
    B]Reason for Recommendation:[/B]
    [
    B]Review (optional):[/B

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Title: Für Das Größere Wohl (+http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/view...hp?sid=80838):
    Author: Tim the Enchanter:
    Reason for Recommendation: Slyly humorous with a historical take, Dieter is an adorable Nazi brat narrator who is fun to hate.
    Review (optional): I love how Dieter and Karakoff rub each other completely wrong and hate each other for all the wrong, biased reasons. My main quibble with the last chapter is this sudden shift in perspective to Warsaw. On the one hand, I understand why you chose to put it in - it demonstrates what Actually happened in the attack on the Polish Ministry but it's very different in tone, almost ridiculously so. I also find the two lines of German highly suspicious (in a good way) and I await the next chapter eagerly.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Alright! I gets to recommend the first Historical fiction, and I think we all know which one it's going to be.

Title (+Link): Für Das Größere Wohl
    Author: Tim the Enchanter
    Reason for Recommendation: Well, Dieter has about the longest OC thread in the history of MNFF, and he has also won the 2009 Quicksilver Quill award for Best Male OC. He is just the sort of person you love to hate, and once you start reading, you find yourself addicted.
    Review (optional): This is my review to recommend this story on the forums.

This is the kind of story you start reading, you love it, and then you hate yourself for it because of the subject matter. But you also have to admit that Tim is an incredibly talented author to pull this off. Any poorly written story on this subject would have easily have been pushed aside by the Mugglenet community, but this story has proved to shine again and again.

And that is why this story needs to be recognized!

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Title (+Link): Shining Through Blackness
    Author: luinrina/Bine
    Reason for Recommendation: This is a spectacular characterization of the life of Isla Black, one of the members of the family to be blasted off the tree. I loved it from the first chapter, and even though I believe Bine said her muse has abandoned her with this fic, as it is as of yet unfinished at Ch. 15, it's still definitely worth the read.
    Rating/Warnings: 6th-7th Years: Sexual Situations
    Summary: Isla was born into a well-known and respected family: the Blacks. She grew up with their traditions and was proud to be who she was – until she met someone who showed her that what she knew was not the only world.
    Review (optional): not a good one :\

Title (+Link):Rivalries and Secrets
    Author:loligo8me
    Warnings/Ratings:3rd/5th Years: None
    Summary:‘Pet snakes, three-headed dogs, rivalries and secrets. This is where it all started, and I was caught in the line of fire... or rather, I was the one who lit the match and caused the blaze. Funny how life can change completely in an instant. This is an account of the end of my life as I once knew it.’

Eighty years after Hogwarts is founded, Gryffindor’s friendship with Slytherin seems on the brink of falling apart. Meanwhile, young Aramis Selby endeavours to discover the Parseltongue’s secrets. What he finds will change Hogwarts for ever. But his interfering may seal his own fate...
    Reason for Recommendation:It's a brilliant take on one of the more mysterious characters [not going to spoil by saying who/what on here] in the Potterverse and how that character came to be. It features the four Founders of Hogwarts and a certain young Gryffindor with a penchant for storytelling.
    Review: http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/revi...7&chapid=73961
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Title (+Link): The Writer
    Author: Sainyn Swiftfoot
    Reason for Recommendation: Original, clever and truly engaging. This story is gripping and as writers I think we can all identify with the protagonist as he struggles with writers block.
    Review (optional): clickie
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Title (+Link): Chrismtas in Amber
    Author: Inverarity
    Reason for Recommendation: Clever and original, Tom Riddle's characterisation was very good and you find yourself thinking this could well have happened.
    Review (optional): link!

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Iguanarwhal
    I'm very knew around MNFF so there aren't a lot of fics here I've read. I do love historical fic and have read and adored many such as The Federalist, No. 86 by minkhollow (And yes, that fic is exactly what it sounds like! Alexander Hamilton!), Madam Minister by GreenWood Elf (About Artemisia Lufkin, the first female minister for magic!) and Between Two Worlds by nolagal (AS/S slash, but even if you're not a fan of that it's wholly worth the read. I have four words for you. Battle of Britain fic. Epic, just plain epic!), but those are all found off site so I can't link you to them (Although I'm sure you could find them through Google if you use you quotation marks properly. I hope it's not against the rules to just mention them and encourage people to hunt them down on their own. If it is, mods, do tell me. To my knowledge they'd fit in just fine here at MNFF, should the authors ever decide to join us. None of them are, y'know, high rated or anything.

Obviously, what is, in my opinion, the king of historical fics, has already been recced twice. I wholeheartedly third that recommendation and would like to share my own feelings about it. See, it's pretty much my favorite fic ever. Not even a hint of flattery there, it really is. I've literally told everyone I know who will listen about it. Granted most of my acquaintances won't here me out, but I try. It's too good a fic to only have 131 reviews (When you add up the reviews from both here and on fanfiction.net, where Tim has also posted it.)

So we've all read and loved Für Das Größere Wohl, but how about another one of Tim's fics.

Title (+Link): Justifies the Means
    Author: Tim the Enchanter
    Warnings/Ratings: 1st-2nd Years
    Summary: Yuri Krum, a high-ranking officer of the Second Zaubererreich, has every reason to be proud of the facility he is creating. But instead of satisfaction, there is doubt, and Chancellor Gellert Grindelwald is the man to answer Yuri’s questions.

The name of the facility is Nurmengard...
    Reason for Recommendation: Oh god. Tim is just so good. If you've read Für Das Größere Wohl and for some reason haven't checked out his other fics, you need to see this one. It's a fantastic. Anyone who's dying to know more about his Second Zaubererreich should read this fic, along with everybody else, of course. While this almost OC (He's canon, but not named by JKR) isn't quite the great character that Dieter is, I still very much enjoyed the fic. In terms of characterization, the real highlight is definitely his Grindelwald. We haven't really seen much from the Chancellor in Für Das Größere Wohl yet so it's nice to get a better idea of what he's like, his ideology. This Grindelwald has taken his motto of "For the greater good" to heart and you can see it in his words. His enthusiasm and complete faith in the cause, in the idea that what he is doing is just, is chilling and at the same time brilliantly portrayed.

The thing that I love most about this fic is that Tim shows us what is only part of the road to Yuri Krum's fate of being killed by Grindelwald. We don't actually see that happen. I know if I'd decided to write a fic about him I probably would have first thought of showing his death and I think that what Tim shows us is ultimately much more interesting.

Review (optional): Shoot. Naughty me. I haven't reviewed this yet! I'd better get over there and give Tim what he deserves.

Also, looking at another fic that has been recced, Shining Through Blackness, I'm definitely gonna have to read it. I've known of it for awhile now, but I've never gotten to reading it. It's really high on my list of things to read and this rec just bumped it up a few spots. See, I'm a bit obsessed with the Black family tree as well. My main interest actually falls with Marius Black, the one who was blasted off for being a squib. I'm thrilled to see that Bine says that she plans on writing fics about everyone who was blasted off, which means that, if the muse is there, we'll see some fic about him from her sometime in the future.

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    Title : Eldritch
    Author:
    eldritcher
    Warnings/Ratings: 3-5th year/Abuse, AU, Mild Profanity, Violence
    Summary:
    Albus believed in the greater good. Tom Riddle believed in the right to survive. Aberforth believed that he could save them both.
    Reason for Recommendation:
    It's a well-written piece. Serious characters and their era, the setting, the whole premise of the story is pulled really well. I love how the chapters are divided into segments of small scenes, important scenes delivered with such a balance of dialogue and Dumbledore's own thoughts, it helps move the story wonderfully ahead and keeps you in. I really liked the story and I'm not even usually venturing into this genre. Also it's in first person and speculative as this POV maybe I thought it was done with a talent. In many aspects of the story it makes you think: the author has us look at little explored characters like Aberforth, Dumbledore, childTom Riddle, also, the writing is really like foraying into Albus' mind, written so naturally it's lovely to not have an author force you to see something a certain a way but write it just so that you can make your own mind about it. So I think the author has a strong command on the voice of the characters.
    You feel that the plot and the way the characters behave isn't just written for the sake of it. It's weaved properly and every line seems thought through. I thoroughly enjoyed Eldritch and have that rare feeling with fanfiction that when I say 'well-written' this time I don't have the slightest doubt in my mind.

"Same story, different versions, and all are true."
    - Tia Dalma, Pirates of the Caribbean II

Lovely banner by ze bean and avatar from the brilliant
    LJ home of mrserinreynolds

deviantART page here

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Title (+Link): Bicie Serca
    Author: BlueJoker (JokerBlue on the forums)
    Warnings/Ratings: 3rd-5th. Character Death, Violence
    Summary:
    Sofia seeks refuge within the walls of Hogwarts from the bloodied and terror-filled streets of Krakow. Yet she is not entirely welcomed. The moment she reaches the cold shores of England she experiences jealousy, loss of identity, the perils of war and the question of her right to exist.
    Reason for Recommendation: This is a very new story and there's only one chapter up, but it is an intriguing story. I rarely read historical but the premis of a Polish Jew who is a Muggleborn witch fleeing persecution intrigued me. She's going to go to Hogwarts, and unlike most exchange students that miraculously arrive, this student has a valid reason.
    Review (optional):

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Ebil Lieutenant Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    Title (+Link): Where I Thought I Met The Angels
    Author: welshdevondragon
    Warnings/Ratings: Character Death, Non-Consensual Sex, Sexual Situations, Slash, Strong Profanity, Suicide, Violence
    Summary:
    Oh God, I thought I heard the angels
    What kind of fool you put in me?

Alphard Black, Abraxas Malfoy and Salome Rosier were close friends. But as they all search for angels, and fail to find them, their lives are turned upside down by the manipulative and underestimated Tom Riddle.

Reason for Recommendation: It really is an excellent story, with intriguing characters and a gripping plot, but I'm assuming that because it has OCs in it, it hasn't been getting the reviews it deserves.
    Review (optional): Here

Beautiful banner by the lovely Pooja/Ginny Weasley Potter.

Keep calm and carry on my wayward son.