Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a Post Hogwarts Story

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower

Recommend a Post Hogwarts Story

Read a good story about Harry and his friends' time after Hogwarts and think everyone else should read it too? Recommend it here!

Form:

PHP Code:
    [B]Title (+Link):[/B]
    [
    B]Author:[/B]
    [
    b]Warnings/Ratings:[/b]
    [
    b]Summary:[/b]
    [
    B]Reason for Recommendation:[/B]
    [
    B]Review (optional):[/B

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Title (+Link):Finding Her Voice
    Author:Belledeg
    Warnings/Ratings:6th-7th Years: DH Spoilers, Sexual Situations, Strong Profanity, Violence
    Summary:Harper Riley is one of the most gifted young witches of her generation. However, since the traumatic events of the Battle of Hogwarts, she has not spoken a single word. Her Muggle parents were killed, along with her two wizarding brothers, and she is on the run from her squib guardian, a sinful and harsh man with a strong hatred of magic.

Harry Potter is recently married and settled, however, his life seems to take on another dramatic turn when he and Ginny find Harper. Her refusal to speak makes things a lot harder for them to discover how to help her. Luckily, Harry knows someone who owes him a favour. Someone who he and Ginny may not like, but they trust. Someone whose profession is to help those who suffer from the Battle of Hogwarts, no matter their story…

If anyone can get her talking again, it’s Blaise.

"I don't want to forget that night...but I don't want to remember it either."
    Reason for Recommendation:She tends to ship Canon Character/OC, but the best thing about it is that her OCs are so well defined, spirited, and fascinating. This one is a joy to read.
    Review (optional): Gah, they all suck...all nine of them :-\

Title (+Link): Tarot
    Author:DeadManSeven
    Reason for Recommendation:It's an extremely well-structured and intelligent piece about some of the deeper history of the Felix Felicis potion. I really enjoyed it and secretly (I guess not so much now, lol) wished it had been longer so I could have read more of it.
    Rating/Warnings: 3rd/5th Years: DH Spoilers, Sexual Situations, Strong Profanity
    Summary: A reading that consists of only cards from the Major Arcana indicates the destiny of the querant lies outside their own control - possibly within the hands of Fate itself.

Nineteen years pass between the final chapter and the epilogue. Here are two days inside those nineteen years.
    Review (optional): http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/revi...&chapid=106831

Title (+Link): Bryter Later
    Author: Welshdevondragon/Alex
    Reason for Recommendation: It's an interesting take on a post-war Malfoy family, which introduces a twin sister of Draco's that was put up for adoption when it was found that she had no magic. Lucius and Narcissa decide to reconnect for a variety of reasons. I like the POV, which alternates between the sister (Lucy) and Draco.
    Ratings/Warnings: 6th-7th Years, Character Death, DH Spoilers, Sexual Situations, Slash, Strong Profanity, Substance Abuse, Violence
    Summary: The Malfoys at the end of the war are disgraced. Their reputation is in ruins, they command neither respect nor power and have escaped being sent to Azkaban by, as Draco puts it, “the skin of their teeth.”

Lucy Carter is a Muggle who found out she was adopted just over a year ago. Since then she has travelled, but on returning to Britain was shocked by events in the summer. Now she is a student at Oxford, feeling very alone.

But then she gets a letter and the second she reads it, she sees it as a fresh start. So she goes to meet her real parents, Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy, and her twin brother, Draco.

After her first inauspicious meeting with Draco she thinks,

I was prepared to hate my real parents. They had abandoned me and now wanted something back .... if the son was anything to go by they were racist and almost proud of it. Like I said, I was preparing myself to hate my parents.

And then she met them.
    Review (optional): Well, half the reviews for it (and I mean that literally) are mine, as I do one every chapter, but this one is the best one I left, IMO. BTW, I have no clue how to link individual reviews.
    http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/revi...=ST&item=84889

Title (+Link): Harry Potter and the Story in the Runes
    Author: IHateSnakes
    Reason for Recommendation: This is a phenomenal (and I mean it) story. It was written in 05, so it's also Book7 Disregarded, but I definitely didn't mind in the least. The plot is so well-crafted, and there are so many hidden tidbits for one to find, I completely enjoyed the story, as well as the concept of the plot. I just wish I had realized how to leave a better review when I had read it.
    Rating/Warnings: 3rd-5th Years: Character Death, Sexual Situations, Violence
    Summary: Lord Voldemort is no more, but the victors paid a high price. This story begins as Harry, Ron, and Hermione’s seventh year comes to an end and Ginny's starts. While delving into the ancient story of Merlin, Percy Weasly brings attention to what appears to be the complete collapse of magic. Can he, or anyone stop the changes before it's too late?
    Review (optional): http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/revi...=ST&item=31516

Title (+Link):Uncle Fred Calls Him Dick
    Author:MagEd
    Warnings/Ratings:6th/7th Years: Book 7 Disregarded
    Summary:Harry defeated Voldemort. Harry married Ginny. Harry and Ginny had five children. Harry disappeared. My name is Lily Potter, and this is the story of what happened when my father returned after six years missing to find my mother about to re-marry. This is the story of myself, my crazy family, and most of all, this is the story of my parents and the man who tried to come between them. (pre-Deathly Hallows)
    Reason for Recommendation:The plot, pacing and overall readability (to me, that includes the qualities of not having to reread something two or three times just to understand what it's supposed to say/mean) is fantastic, and it's obvious why it was nominated for a QSQ.
    Review (optional): http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/revi...6&chapid=81045

Title (+Link):Curriculum Vitae
    Author:Hermione_Rocks
    Warnings/Ratings:3rd-5th Years: Character Death, DH Spoilers, Substance Abuse
    Summary:Ever since the war ended, Theodore Nott has found little solace in anything, save for his Firewhiskey purchases. Due to happenings and circumstances, he runs into the most unlikely people and places, ones that may just be able to help him as he trundles along through life.
    This is a story of pain, loss, regret, bitterness. This is a story of joy, laughter, forgiveness, hope. It's a story of second glances, second considerations, second chances. And first chances too. Curriculum Vitae is Latin for: The course of one’s life.
    Reason for Recommendation:It's a story about the road to redemption for one of the Slytherins who could be considered collateral damage from the war. His father was a Death Eater, his friends supported Voldemort, he did not, but he was still made to suffer by association, even though he never did anything. It's sort of nice to see a favorable portrayal of Cho, as well.
    Review (optional): http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/revi...7&chapid=93199
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Title (+Link): Marissa and the Wizards
    Author: JCCollier
    Reason for Recommendation: This story is without a doubt one of my favorite stories on the archive. I don't believe I have ever seen an author attempt to write a story that takes place in Brazil, nor someone do a believable job at writing an orphan street child.

Also, I don't think I have seen many author's able to truly capture the spirit of J.K.'s books as JC has been able to do. Once you read it, I promise that you will join in my campaign to get JC to finally update this story!
    Review (optional): This is my review to get Marissa and the Wizards on the Reccomend Stories thread.

This story is one of the ways I stop myself from being sad that the Harry Potter series is over. JC has reintroduced the world we all love from a new perspective, but in the style that we all come to love. I'm sure JK herself would find this to be an enjoyable read. She might even steal it to use for her own reference...but we will all know JC was the one who came up with it.

And seriously JC, what kind of Ravenclaw are you that your muse does not respond to flattery and the groveling of desperate fans? What is it going to take to see this story to the end. If it's plot issues, we do have threads for that. And we also have a lot of bored winter shutins (or just me) that are willing to do just about anything to keep the cabin fever at bay!

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Protecting Scabbers from Crookshanks
    Title (+Link): Visits From Fred
    Author: mudbloodproud
    Reason for Recommendation: A tearjerker, if there ever was one. Fred Weasley helps those who he love cope with his death.
    Review (optional): HERE!

Title (+Link): Rita Skeeter Tells All (and Then Some)
    Author: greennotebook
    Reason for Recommendation: Sometimes, we need to take a break and read good OC fics. This one shot tells the story of a young, idealistic reporter who wants to change the tradition established by Rita Skeeter. But what happens when she meets Rita?

Title (+Link): A Christmas to Remember
    Author: luinrina
    Reason for Recommendation: A dark, but ultimately optimistic look at the relationship between Draco and his wife, Astoria. Great characterization of Draco and Narcissa.

Title (+Link): Hermione
    Author: OliveOilMed
    Reason for Recommendation: This Hermione is adventurous, fun-loving and definitely not bookish, and she's Hermione's younger sister! A very unique, breezy story.
    Review (optional):

Title (+Link): Hermione's Christmas Gift
    Author: DivineQuill
    Reason for Recommendation: This is quintessential Ron being confused about Hermione. The story is about how Ron tries to gift Hermione something meaningful for Christmas, and it has humour and romance and a lot of feel-good moments.
    ]

Banner by BELLA THE HELLA. <3

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    Is this also for next gen?

Title : Grave Days
    Author: Northumbrian
    Warnings/Ratings: 3rd-5th years, DH Spoilers, Mild Profanity
    Summary:
    Front page: THE DAILY PROPHET 4 May 1998

TOM RIDDLE – THE SELF-STYLED LORD VOLDEMORT

Editors Note: At the request of the Ministry for Magic this Official Statement issued by the Office of the Minister is produced full and unedited.

OFFICIAL MINISTRY STATEMENT

This official statement has been compiled with the assistance and co-operation of Mr Harry Potter.

“Lord Voldemort” was, in fact a man named Tom M. Riddle, son of a witch, Merope Gaunt and a Muggle, Tom Riddle Senior. The Ministry has decided that in all future official publications Riddle will be referred to by his given name.

There has already been much speculation and wild rumour regarding the events at Hogwarts School. The Ministry can confirm that Tom M. Riddle was killed at dawn on the morning of Saturday, 2 May. Riddle was disarmed by Harry Potter while in the act of firing a killing curse at Mr Potter. The curse killed Riddle rather than its intended target.

Continued on page 4

WHERE IS HARRY POTTER?

Despite the Official Ministry Statement (published above) we are no closer to receiving an answer to the question on the lips of every witch and wizard in the country. Where is Harry Potter?

It appears that Mr Potter left Hogwarts School early yesterday morning, apparently in the company of his close associates Hermione Granger and Ronald Weasley. An attractive young Ministry clerk, who did not wish to be named, told The Prophet “He’s at the Ministry, having an important meeting with the Minister. My friends and I saw him. He asked us out to the pub, but we had to turn him down.” This statement is at odds with a report from the Portkey Office that Mr Potter has fled the country, travelling to Australia with his companions.

Continued on page 2
    Reason for Recommendation: This is an amazing fic. One can tell that a lot of thought and work has been put into every word. Neil is an amazing writer, and this is an amazing story. : D
    Review (optional): click

Title: A Legacy of Mischief
    Author: Razgriz Ace
    Warnings/Ratings: 1st-2nd, DH Spoilers
    Summary:
    "Well the first time I met your mum she told me the reason she was never a prefect at school was that she had a complete inability to stay out of trouble.... And as for your dad…well he was a Marauder wasn’t he?”
    Reason for Recommendation: This is just such a cute story! And you are in it by the end of the first sentence.
    Review (optional): here

Title : Only A Memory
    Author: RTTLupin
    Warnings/Ratings: 1st-2nd years, DH spoilers
    Summary:
    I originally wrote this as a series of drabbles for the Ravenclaw Almost-Gauntlet challenge. I had so much fun writing it I decided to link them and here you have the finished product. I want to thank Treacle_Heart, Lizzy, and kiley for beta-ing different sections along the way. You are all so fabulous!!!
    Reason for Recommendation: *wipes away tears* It's cute. Heart wrenching. <3
    avvie by Annalise and banner Dinny/Evora - Becca, Lyss, Lise, Ronnie, ily <3
    GO GO GRYFFINDOR

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    Oh, I've got another by Northumbrian!

Title: First Sight
    Author: Northumbrian
    Warnings/Ratings: 3rd-5th years, DH Spoilers, Mild Profanity
    Summary:There are many forms of love and many ways in which love can ambush the unwary. First sight can surprise us.
    Reason for Recommendation: This was a lovely story, so heartfelt and true. It's well-written, in character, and very touching. I don't want to say anything more specific because the summary doesn't give it away so I don't want to either! But it's so sweet, please read it.

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Protecting Scabbers from Crookshanks
    Title: Brazen (and it isn't a misnomer, not at all)
    Author: ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    Warnings/Ratings: Professors, DH Spoilers, Sexual Situations, Strong Profanity, Substance Abuse
    Summary:
    *These are the times that try men's souls.

Well, that couldn't be any more real for Draco Malfoy than on the eve of his wedding. He was getting married the next day, but all he could think about is how his life was about to become so much more damned complicated.

He had no idea.

*Quote - Thomas Paine, American revolutionary.
    Reason for Recommendation:
    While the Rating and Warnings imply that this fic is not for everybody, I seriously recommend it for those who can read it. This is Draco as we haven't seen him before, and he will make you laugh and even sneer a la him. Irreverent and hilarious, the ending will leave you reeling in shock.
    ]

Banner by BELLA THE HELLA. <3

awakemysoul
    Title (+Link): BH

Author: trinsy

Warnings/Ratings: 1st-2nd Years; DH Spoilers

Summary:
    "before Harry, before Hermione, before Hogwarts..."

Ron reflects of families lost and families formed.
    Reason for Recommendation: I absolutely love this little one-shot. This was kind of a result of me stepping outside of my comfort zone a bit, because I usually don't read a lot of stories that are in Ron's point of view (mostly because I tend to find the Trio somewhat boring at times). But this one was different than the gobs of other Ron-centric stuff out there. I know I often only think of Ron in terms of Harry and Hermione, so to read this reflection from him about what it was like before they were in his life was really interesting and gave me a lot of insight into his character. Also (and not really too important), I loved the tiny glimpse of Rose in this story because she reminds me exactly of how I was when I was little - bossy and right on top of everything my little brother did

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    Title: Second Guesses
    Author: Acacia Carter
    Ratings/Warnings: 6th-7th years/Mild Profanity
    Summary:
    He's got quite enough to be getting on with already, and now things with Luna have gotten...perplexing. Oh, for the days when he was sure they were just friends, and didn't have to decode whether she was flirting or just being Luna.
    Reason for Recommendation: This is a delightful story about Neville Longbottom set just a few years after the Battle of Hogwarts. It is exceptionally written, with strong magical details (esp. if you like potions!) Neville is a great character here - still a bit of the old, but a nice glimpse of who he became after the war. Luna is wonderfully quirky and the other characters are spot-on as well. The fourth chapter alone was such fun to read, I recommend giving Neville's story a go just to learn what happened to Neville when he--oops, no spoilers!

Ascendio
    Title (+Link): The Healing Hours
    Author: tot_desidero
    Warnings/Ratings: DH Spoilers, Strong Profanity/6th-7th years
    Summary:
    In the hours after Voldemort's defeat four people begin their journey towards living a peaceful life. The pain, grief and heartache can only be healed with time and with the patience of the ones they love.
    Reason for Recommendation: I think the one thing that sets this apart from other fics about the immediate aftermath of the Battle of Hogwarts is the characterization. It just seems dead-on, and it's devastating to read. It's poignant and heartfelt, and a great fic all together.