Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a General Fiction

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    Title : Returning
    Author: Annalise28
    Warnings/Ratings: 1st-2nd years, none
    Summary:
    You suddenly realize, as you round a corner, that you are alone. You can leave, finally be free. You can go where you have been wanting to go for several months...

You all stand there in the boiling sun, holding each other, unfazed by anything else.

The story of a journey and what it truly means to be home.
    Reason for Recommendation: this is an amazing fic. It's very well written. I love the story. <3
    Review: here

Title: Renaissance
    Author: Wolf by Night
    Warnings/Ratings: 6th-7th Years, Alternate Universe, Book 7 Disregarded, Mild Profanity, Violence
    Summary:
    Harry never expected to find out that Remus had a twin sister; nor did he expect the appearance of his mother's best friend. And he certainly didn't expect the history they, and Sirius, all shared. But perhaps these four links to Harry's parents can help him in his ever-lasting war with Voldemort - and in the process, give him the family he never had. AU OotP, with some canon left intact. NOT a Mary Sue fic.
    Reason for Recommendation: This foc is so great and I just *had* to know what happened next! (I even continued it on fanfiction.net >.>) It's really interesting.
    Review: click

Title: Dead and Gone
    Author: Karaley Dargen, padfootsgirl1981
    Warnings/Ratings: 3rd-5th years, none
    Summary:
    After the First War, wizards and witches everywhere were celebrating. But there were still losses, and deaths to be mourned; and in the end, there were more similarities between the good and the bad guys than one might like to think.

Molly Weasley had two brothers, who fought Voldemort and paid with their lives. She always thought that all what happened was horrible, but she never thought it would happen to her own family. And now, people everywhere are celebrating, and hardly anyone thinks of all the heroes that died anymore.

Avery was a Death Eater. He watched many people suffer and die, and never cared - until his friends die for Voldemort’s cause. And now, people everywhere are celebrating, and no one thinks of all the brave and good men the other side had lost.

This is padfootsgirl1981 of Hufflepuff and Karaley Dargen of Gryffindor submitting for the Interhouse Co-Op Challenge in the Great Hall.
    Reason for Recommendation: I always love to see it when two or more authors can forge such a wonderful story together. This fic is great. It's really sad, but funny and happy at the same time.

Title: An Outstretched Hand
    Author: Equinox Chic
    Warnings/Ratings: 1st-2nd years, DH Spoilers, Mild Profanity
    Summary:
    September the First, nineteen-sixty-two, is the day Molly Prewett has been looking forward to more than any other day. This is the day she'll join her brothers at Hogwarts. But what if she's not really a witch? What if she can't get through the barrier? What if no one will talk to her? And which House will she be Sorted into?

I am Equinox Chick of Hufflepuff, and this is my entry for the Hufflepuff Back to School Challenge.

Thank you Lexi (Harry_Rulz) for beta'ing this in record time.

Disclaimer: I am not JK Rowling, Jasper Fforde, Agatha Christie or even Jane Austen.

The quotation at the beginning of this story is by Ralph Waldo Emerson

** indicates a line taken directly from the Harry Potter series.
    Reason for Recommendation: Carole once again turned a great idea into a great story. It's a good read all the way, from the summary to the end notes xD
    Review (optional): http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/revi...=ST&item=84605
    avvie by Annalise and banner Dinny/Evora - Becca, Lyss, Lise, Ronnie, ily <3
    GO GO GRYFFINDOR

Hermoine Jean Granger
    Title (+Link): Before Her Eyes
    Author: Ginny_Alamalexia, Rhi for HP
    Warnings/Ratings: Character Death, DH Spoilers, Violence; 3rd-5th years
    Summary: They say that just before you die, your life flashes before your eyes. But what does that really mean? How can a whole life be squashed into a few seconds?

Bellatrix Lestrange thinks she has lived a satisfying life. But it all comes back to earth when she's faced with her own mortality. She is forced to realise her wrongs, realise that she had never achieved what she had wanted as a child.

She is now faced with a question. The toughest one she has ever had to answer:

What could she have changed to make her life even better?

Her answer: everything.

Third place in the August Inter-House Co-Op!

Reason for Recommendation: The characterisation of Bellatrix Lestrange, and the Black sisters in general, has been done really well. The descriptions are lovely, and the story flows so well - it's really hard to make out the difference in writing style, and considering that it's been written by two authors, that's an achievement!
    Review (optional): Here

Title (+Link): The Young Idealist
    Author: GryffindorGoddess
    Warnings/Ratings: 1st-2nd Years; None
    Summary: Charity Burbage has just received a degree in Wizarding Education and is ready to change the world one student at a a time. But first she must interview successfully and begin planning for next year’s classes!
    Reason for Recommendation: Brings a very minor character to life, and gives great insight into the life of a Hogwarts teacher(or one who is getting ready to become one). The characterisation is lovely, the descriptions support the plot so well, and well, it's just one of a kind. I loved it.
    Review (optional):Here

Title (+Link): Resusciate
    Author: KalHoNaaHo
    Warnings/Ratings: 1st-2nd Years; None
    Summary: Remus never had much faith
    Reason for Recommendation: A small series of scenes that just blew me off my feet. Reading this story felt like a journey through Remus' mind- a closer picture showing what we know in more detail and adding to it appropriately. Characterisation is brilliant, the vivid imagery is definitely one of the best I've read, and overall, it deserves to be squeed about.
    Review (optional): Here

Title (+Link): Alexandra Quick and the Thorn Circle
    Author: Inverarity
    Warnings/Ratings: 1st- 2nd years; Character Death, Violence.
    Summary: The first book in the Alexandra Quick series.

The war against Voldemort never reached America, but all is not well there. When 11-year-old Alexandra Quick learns she is a witch, she is plunged into a world of prejudices, intrigue, and danger. Who wants Alexandra dead, and why?

This story is canon-compliant with the Harry Potter universe, but the characters and settings are all original. I've put a lot of work into envisioning a world as detailed as the original series; I hope you enjoy it.

Reason for Recommendation: The best piece of fanfiction that explores magical worlds outside Great Britain, in my opinion. The author creates a very realistic magical world in America, with characters that feel so real, and the story just keeps you spell-bound till the end.
    Review (optional): N/A

Title (+Link): Alexandra Quick and the Lands Below
    Author: Inverarity
    Warnings/Ratings: 3rd-5th Years; Character Death, Violence.
    Summary: Seventh grader Alexandra Quick returns to Charmbridge Academy. This year she faces bullies from another wizarding school, a secret Dark Arts club, and the machinations of her father, but her greatest trial yet awaits her in the dangerous Lands Below.
    This is the second book in the Alexandra Quick series.

Reason for Recommendation: The sequel to the first book, and as engaging as ever. More thrills, action, banter and twists and turns which keep you guessing till the end.
    Review (optional): N/A

Title (+Link): Great Expectations
    Author: Cassandras Cross
    Warnings/Ratings:
    Summary: A weekend trip to the mysterious Rose Cottage leads to Ginny's second pregnancy and Hermione's first. The Potters and Weasleys take on “The Next Great Adventure” as they anticipate the births of Albus Potter and Rose Weasley.
    Reason for Recommendation: A very well written story touching upon lives of the Trio after marriage. It's got elements of romance, mystery and action all in the right proportion, which makes it a captivating read.
    Review (optional): Here(you'll have to scroll down)

IckleRonniex
    Title*(+Link): When Worlds Die
    Author: MagEd
    Warnings/Ratings: 3rd-5th Years Warnings: DH Spoilers
    Summary:
    In any man who dies there dies with him,
    his first snow and kiss and fight . . .
    Not people die but worlds die in them
    ~Yevgeny Yevtushenko, "People"

His twin is dead, and as far as George can see, the whole world might as well have died, too. In other words, this is the story of how George Weasley grieved in seven steps.
    Reason*for*Recommendation: MagEd is an amazing writer. In this one shot, she tells a complete story about how George copes with Fred's death. I've read quite a few about that, but this one is the very best. Maybe I love it because it is the most plausible I've read, maybe because I simply adore MagEd's writing... it is perfect. You read it, you won't be disappointed.
    Review*(optional):* here it's mainly fangirling...meh

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Snape Hates Me
    Title (+Link): Oblivious
    Author: Pallas
    Warnings/Ratings: None/None, but I'd say 1st year.
    Summary:What if there were more to Remus Lupin's bite than a badly timed stroll in the woods? The arrival of a feral invokes secrets of the past and terror for the present...
    Reason for Recommendation:In my humble opinion, this is the best fanfiction on the site and not just because Remus is the star. Of course, that certainly helps. However, the writing is beautiful; the plot immensely entertaining and well constructed; the characterization of canon characters is spot on; the original characters are brilliant, fully developed, interesting, and blend into the canon of Harry Potter seamlessly, up to the point of book 6, of course. In short, I love this story and recommend it to anyone who will listen. In fact, I really need to make time to reread it myself. It’s that good. And as an added bonus, it is complete!

Review (optional): review

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare

Green Tinted Hufflepuff

Title (+Link): Green Tinted Hufflepuff
    Author: mgle_teacher/Mugglemathdork/Teh Ebil One
    Warnings/Ratings: 1st/2nd Years - Alternate Universe
    Summary: This was originally written for the Harry/Draco LJ Community hd_inspired for their "Back to School" prompt fest. The prompt I chose requested: Hufflepuff!Draco, Luna, an avocado, and spectacles.

I was going to write this as Harry/Draco but due to time constraints, and because I just ‘get’ Draco better, I focused solely on Draco’s dilemma as a Hufflepuff. I added everything the original requester asked for in the prompt including the spectacles, avocado, and Luna. However, I still had to cut it short because it was becoming a monster bunny I wasn’t ready to pursue. I’m also not a prolific writer whatsoever so the amount of words written was a challenge for me.

Note, I took dialogue at the beginning verbatim out of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone and wrote them from Draco’s POV. Thanks to dragon_charmer for giving me an extension.
    Beta(s): Thanks to thesamanthahope for last minute betaing, and doglover4_life for giving me lots of ideas and being my muse as well as anthimaeria for the final edits.
    Reason for Recommendation: This is a smart, funny, and charming take on what it would be like for Draco Malfoy to be Sorted into Hufflepuff. It's well thought out, and once you read it, you don't get that feeling like it could never happen like some AU stuff. I loved it.
    Review (optional): http://www.fanfiction.mugglenet.com/...=ST&item=82041
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    The Giant Spider is Hagrid's... Friend?!?
    Title (+Link): Lacuna Mentis
    Author: Nat/hestiajones
    Warnings/Ratings: Professors; Character Death, Mental Disorders, Sexual Situations, Strong Profanity, Suicide, Violence
    Summary: There were blind spots in his mind. They said he might recover the lost memories; they also said there was a high possibility he might not. Along came a girl, and everything changed.
    Reason for Recommendation: Oh. My. Prongs. This fic is so very gripping; the sort of mystery that keeps you guessing and re-formulating your theories right up to the very end, all the while making you dread that end because seriously...there is some chilling stuff going down, even if you're not sure what it is at first. I'm fangirling it shamelessly at the moment, because it's one of the best things I've read in ages.
    Review (optional): Here but PLEASE do not read any of the reviews for this fic unless you've already read the fic!
    Last edited by minnabird; 07-30-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    This story defies a category (it's in Various Pairings on the boards) so I have put it in General, but please heed the warnings.

Title (+Link): Maps
    Author: the opaleye
    Warnings/Ratings: Mild Profanity, Sexual Situations, Slash Professors
    Summary: Tell me, is the rose naked
    Or is that her only dress?
    -Pablo Neruda

Four vignettes exploring what it means to fight, to survive, to make love, and everything that comes after.
    Reason for Recommendation: This story is absolutely brilliant. Beautifully written with a lyrical quality that I never fail to admire and gush over in Julia's work. She explores four very different couples here from the canon Ted/Andromeda, to the non-canon Scorpius/Hugo (yes, NON -CANON!!! ) and two others inbetween that made me laugh and also cry.
    It is rare that a story will make me feel so much in such a short span of words, but Maps did it.
    Review (optional): I have reviewed but am not linking as I don't want to spoil.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Double posting, but it has been a while since my last!

Title (+Link): Stolen Magic
    Author: coolh5000
    Warnings/Ratings: None/1st-2nd
    Summary:
    Samuel Radley is a wizard born without magic. Coming from a family with generations of witches and wizards, his brother Adrian has never really understood why Samuel has been left without, especially when there are others, with no magical blood at all, who somehow find themselves able to do magic. As he enters his fourth year at Hogwarts, it seems that the Ministry are finally starting to do something about this imbalance and Adrian couldn't be happier. All around him however, there is resistance to the new laws, and suddenly Adrian finds himself an outsider in his class and abandoned by his friends, when all he's ever done is love his family.
    Reason for Recommendation: This is very, very original. A unique take on the idea that Muggle-borns stole their magic told from a perspective that does garner a wee bit of sympathy. Hannah has weaved a great tale around this premise. Read and review, you won't be disappointed
    Review (optional): I left several.

Carole

Banner by minnabird

Third Year Slytherin
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    Title (+Link): A Time To Fall

Author:Ennalee
    Warnings/Ratings: None/1st-2nd
    Summary:Molly Weasley lost two boys in the first war. She doesn't think she can bear to lose another.
    Reason for Recommendation: For me, the fact this was written pre-DH added to it's powerful resonance, as the author explored Molly's love for each of her seven children and the fear she had for their lives. The style is almost poetic, it's entrancing in it's flowing prose.
    This particular line has a really profound affect on me:
    Molly doesn’t allow herself to think of it, but she fears that perhaps the only thing worse than losing Fred and George would be losing only one of them.
    Wow, it's so powerful and so emotional and somehow the fact it unintentionally foreshadows the events of DH adds to it's impact.

Fenella

Thanks to majestic_ginny/Nadia for my beautiful banner & avvie!
    'There's the silver lining I've been looking for...'

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Title (+Link): After The Storm
    Author: solemnly swear x
    Warnings/Ratings: None
    Summary:
    The murder of a former Hogwarts student at Christmastime leaves Andromeda Black reconsidering all she's known.
    Reason for Recommendation: I'm astonished this has so few reviews because it is a great story that really shows a credible way in which Andromeda could have grown away from her family. The characterisation of everyone is well done. No one is over the top, which is often the way with Black stories featuring Bellatrix. The main strength is Andromeda and Ted, who is just lovely.
    Review (optional): here

Banner by minnabird