Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a General Fiction

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower

Recommend a General Fiction

Read a really good story in the general category and think everyone else should read it too? Recommend it here!

Form:

PHP Code:
    [B]Title (+Link):[/B]
    [
    B]Author:[/B]
    [
    b]Warnings/Ratings:[/b]
    [
    b]Summary:[/b]
    [
    B]Reason for Recommendation:[/B]
    [
    B]Review (optional):[/B

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Queen of Foals Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Where are you Wetherby?
    Title (+Link): It Was The Worst of Times
    Author: ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    Rating and warnings: 1st-2nd years - No warnings
    Summary: In times of peace, tales of strife and angst tend to fall out of favor with the masses, but stories of happy endings and the concept of everything turning out all right don’t often make for good reading. There are rare occasions, though, when both can be met with equal accord and form a bond in the written word.

The first sentence in the Charles Dickens classic, A Tale of Two Cities, simply states that ‘It was the best of times; it was the worst of times.’ An anonymous writer sent in a letter to Roxanne Weasley’s weekly featurette in the Daily Prophet, telling the story of his father’s murder and his journey to recovery, which seemed to be the incarnation of that very line. Sometimes, it takes a loss for one to truly appreciate what one has in life and even in death.

Reason for Recommendation: This fic has been written for the Winter Snows challenge in the Great Hall. Jess has been able to write something deeply emotional without any melodrama and with sincerity, poignancy and hope. It is written as a letter to a Daily Prophet's weekly featurette and is something quite different to other fics on the archives. I really enjoyed it and was surprised to see how few people had read it hence this recommendation.
    Review (optional):

I can't believe this has no reviews, Jess. It was sincere. It was poignant. It was beautifully written. You have caught the emotion of a grieving child without any melodrama but with a quiet sadness which I truly appreciate.

I love how you kept the author anonymous yet clearly insinuated who he was and the identity of the other characters. The entire piece flows well and I don't feel as if you have wasted words at all. Every sentence has relevance and meaning and nothing seems to take away from the point you are trying to put across.

All in all I'm very impressed. The emotional undertones through the piece are so powerful yet subtle. I'm in awe. Fantastic work.

Lovely banner by Minna! Icon from toreadabook on lj.

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Arguing With The Sorting Hat
    Title (+Link): A Blank Canvas
    Author: OkiBlossom
    Reason for Recommendation: This story goes beyond Harry Potter. Sure there is magic, and the main character did go to Hogwarts, but this story delves into serious issues that are alive today. There's lots of pain and revelation in this fic. The deeper into the story you read, the more you scoot to the edge of your chair, biting your nails with anxiety. This is a great story about the love of a family and overcoming your past.

~Lexi~
    ~♥~Author's Page ~♥~ Drabbles ~♥~ I Beta ~♥~ Poet Page ~♥~ I Duel ~♥~
    Fantastic banner by minnabird, thank you!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Title (+Link): Once There Was A Darkness: Year One
    Author: C_A_Campbell
    Reason for Recommendation: This is one of my all-time favorite stories, and because of this, I made a wonderful friend. I think that can be the absolute best kind of story you can read on this thread.
    Review (optional): This is my review to post this story on the Recommended Stories thread.

Ever since I first started reading this story, it has become on of my absolute favorites. The one thing I cannot stand is reading a story where Snape is completely out of character. This might be because writing Snape in character is a skill that always seems to allude me. No matter how many times he appears in my stories, I always need an outside source to tell me if my version of Snape is believable. But Chante' always pulls it off with aplomb.

Shiloh is a high selling point as well. You read the story and think to yourself 'Oh, Snape has a Mini-Me!'. And she is, but Shiloh also has here own personality that sets her apart from her father.

Altogether, this story is wonderfully addictive. And once you read it, you will find yourself begging for more.

Title (+Link): Once There Was A Darkness: Year Two
    Author: C_A_Campbell
    Reason for Recommendation: The only thing better than one of your favorite stories is when one of your stories has a sequel written for it.
    Review (optional): This is my review written for the Recommended Stories thread.

I loved the first story so much, and I was so happy to see that there was a second story written about Shi-Shi. It might stop just before the OMG moment, but it is still a great story to read none the less. And I have read it again, and again, and again. I have also drawn pictures for it, made videos for it, and even beta read it. It is plain to see that I am obsessed with Shiloh Sanders and once you read this story, you will be to.

Title (+Link): Calliope and Thalia and Their Inspiration
    Author: lucilla_pauie
    Reason for Recommendation: It's a story that attempts to follow an old Disney classic, and it just gives you a warm feeling deep down...like mac and cheese made exactly the way you like it.
    Review (optional): This is my review to post this story on the Recommended Stories thread.

I might be a bit partial to this story because I made a trailer for it, but every time I read, I hear the song I used playing in my head. It is just a really soft, acustic guitar piece, and it just makes me feel so relaxed.

Oh! And...the story's good too...I guess.

I kid, of course. It is a wonderful story and you should take some time in your day to read it.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Title (+Link): The Sleeping Beauty Ward
    Author: MorganRay
    Reason for Recommendation: Stunningly original idea and great use of the Weasley none of us really like. Percy becomesa proper Weasley in this story, yet still retains JK's characterisation. The OC Morticia is drawn well, and the story is intriguing.
    Note -I'm not totally sure which cat to put this in because it has elements of Post Hogwarts, Historical and Mystery. Morgan Ray wrote this for a challenge and it's still in that category, so I'm putting it here in General.
    Review (optional): Fairytale
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Protecting Scabbers from Crookshanks
    Title (+Link): Three Orphans
    Author: Spiderwort
    Reason for Recommendation: It's great to see McG, Sprout, Flitwick, Riddle, Crouch, Pomfrey, Hagrid, even Grubbly-Plank and Fairfax in their school days. The author have given a credible history to Minerva, something she really deserves. Very imaginative and well-woven story.
    Review (optional): HERE!

Title (+Link): Staring into the Fire
    Author: Equinox Chick
    Reason for Recommendation: This is an entry for the Gift of Gab Challenge. As it is, I took part in the same challenge so I kidn of know how hard it is to jeep the reader interested in an over-1000 words long conversation. But the author did it really well. A must-read for Marauder fans.

Title (+Link): Albus Dumbledore and the Bouncing Wizard
    Author: KarasAunty
    Reason for Recommendation: This fic came out of the blue. Neville, Dumbledore and Great Uncle Algie in one story - a great combination.

Title (+Link): A True Weasley
    Author: ahattab33
    Reason for Recommendation: Written for In-House Back to Hogwarts Challenge, this fic shows great insight into Percy's psyche as a child.
    [b]Review (optional):HERE!

Title (+Link): Wicked Witches
    Author: ahattab33
    Reason for Recommendation: Again, another interesting take on a character's childhood, this time, Luna. And her mysterious mother.
    [b]Review (optional):HERE!

Title (+Link): Peace in Heaven
    Author: Equinox Chick
    Ratings/Warnings:3rd-5th year, Character Death and Mild Profanity
    Summary:
    After decades of hatred, a friendship begins...

Severus Snape wakes up after Nagini's bite in a hospital bed. He is dead, of that there is no doubt, but he cannot move on as the others who fell in battle have.

Why?
    Reason for Recommendation: So, you thought a friendship between Black and Snape was impossible? Think again.
    [b]Review (optional): HERE!

Title (+Link): Spes Vernus
    Author: luinrina
    Warnings/Ratings: 1st-2nd year, None
    Summary:
    Itís been a year since the Battle of Hogwarts, and she is still mourning the loss of loved ones. Will the hope ever return? And if so, will she ever heal?
    Reason for Recommendation: A moving tale about how Andromeda is coping with Ted's death. Beautifully written tearjerker.
    ]

Banner by BELLA THE HELLA. <3

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

Title (+Link): A Stone From the Riverbank
    Author: Sapphire at Dawn
    Reason for Recommendation: This is a simply amazing story so far (but with a surprisingly (and unfairly) low amount of reviews!); it gives a completely new POV to... everything, namely that of James, Lily and Sirius after their respective deaths, or somewhat between life and death. The opening chapter alone (describing the events just before Voldemort murders the Potters) is so well written that I keep confusing it with JKR's description of the scene in DH. There's such strong emotion in the story - I have my eyes shining with the sweetness of the scene at one moment, at the next moment I sit there biting my nails, holding back a shout of "you poor people, can't you see", and, of course, the tears at the sadness of the whole situation. If you have any heart at all for Marauder Era characters, you should definitely give the story a try, because it's one of the best General stories I know. Also, the idea behind it is just so original, and still it fits in with Canon.
    Review (optional):
    Quote Originally Posted by Review
    Oh oh oh. The description here is GREAT. Wow. I'm half lost for words. This is amazing – the way James wakes up and is all confused... and that little ray of hope as Lily wakes up... and then (again) it all goes down to the end. I love your chapters. They are short, yet they show so much, and cause so many emotions. I feel so sorry for the two of them.... I mean, sure, I always have, but this puts their situation in a whole new light. I hardly ever thought about James and Lily in that light – how they would feel after that night.

Only one minor thing though... "..., but Lily didn't look so happy."

This sounds a bit.. odd. I don't know, It doesn't seem to fit the rest of your amazing description... But maybe it's just me
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

CoolCatElly
    Title (+Link): Oblivion

Author: Nitwit Blubber Oddment Tweak x

Summary: Alice Longbottom lives in a terrifying world; a world surrounded by darkness and unknowingness. Occasionally, these rare moments occur where the fog is lifted and everything just makes sense. At least, until she is once again thrust into devastating oblivion.

Reason for Recommendation:This is one of the best-written fics I've ever read. The narrative was amazing. The emotion was so raw and real, I could feel Neville's pain so clearly, even though she didn't write from his POV. I loved her take on Alice's thoughts when giving the sweet wrappers to Neville. I would recommend it to everyone!

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Title (+Link):Prongs
    Author:inspirations
    Warnings/Ratings:1st/2nd Years: None
    Summary:James Potter walks within the grounds of Hogwarts, the night Harry produces his first proper patronus. This is what James sees.
    Reason for Recommendation:Who would have thought to write a story about being a Patronus? Well, here you go. It's spectacular, and the imagery is stellar.
    Review (optional): http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/revi...=ST&item=80967
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Mind Games
    Title (+Link): Trapped
    Author: Gmariam
    Warnings/Ratings: 6th-7th years; DH spoilers, character death, dubious content, mild profanity, violence
    Summary:
    Hermione finds herself alone in the corridor after the Final Battle, trapped by two men who want very different things from her. How will she react to their demands?
    Reason for Recommendation: The plot was so compelling -- definitely a story one reads all the way through without stopping! The author did an amazing job with a very difficult prompt. She's a really talented plot writer, and also does a good job of keeping popular canon characters believable.
    Review (optional): My Review