Thread: Recommend a Non-Canon Romance Fiction

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower

Recommend a Non-Canon Romance Fiction

Read a really story focused on a couple not made official by canon and think everyone else should read it too? Recommend it here!

Form:

PHP Code:
    [B]Title (+Link):[/B]
    [
    B]Author:[/B]
    [
    b]Warnings/Ratings:[/b]
    [
    b]Summary:[/b]
    [
    B]Reason for Recommendation:[/B]
    [
    B]Review (optional):[/B

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Queen of Foals Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare.
    Title (+Link): The Walnut Tree
    Author: Equinox Chick
    Warnings/Ratings: 6th-7th Years; Sexual Situations, Student/Teacher Romance, Violence
    Summary: When Charity Burbage became the Muggle Studies professor, she was looking for a new life, safe in the enclave of Hogwarts.

She certainly wasn't looking for love.

Reason for Recommendation: While dealing with a sensitive subject such as Student/Teacher romance, Carole weaves a beautiful story, developing the relationship between Oliver and Charity slowly yet surely. The expansion of Charity's character is so wonderfully done. She feels so real and becomes much more than the brief canon character we know from the books.
    Review (optional): Here

Title (+Link): A Palisade of Persuasion
    Warnings/Ratings: 6th-7th years; Sexual Situations
    Summary: It was true that Daphne and Lee had met at a most inappropriate time, but they had found love, lust and the glimmerings of a life together.

But the power of persuasion should never be underestimated. When they meet again, years later, his indifference cuts to her core. Can the past ever truly be recaptured?

Reason for Recommendation: This is a must read for any Austen fan, particularly lovers of Persuasion. However, fear not if you are not familiar with this tale! Carole takes Austen's story and makes it her own. The chemistry between Daphne and Lee is palpable, and the second war and the years after the final battle are the perfect backdrop to their relationship. This is much more than a romance, and the secondary characters make it a full blown saga worthy of it's QSQ award.
    Review (optional): Here.

Title (+Link): A Splendid Fate
    Author: hestiajones
    Warnings/Ratings: 6th-7th years; Sexual Situations, Strong Profanity, Substance Abuse
    Summary: One failed photograph, two halved souls, and the numerous, marvellous machinations of destiny.
    Reason for Recommendation: This fic takes two barely mentioned characters and gives them far more weight than they have in canon. The canon details Natalie chooses to expand upon are great, and the whole story feels just so very magical. There is humour and sadness, tragedy and hope, and, like all of Natalie's fics, it is beautifully crafted.

Title (+Link): Two Negatives
    Author: hestiajones
    Warnings/Ratings: 6th-7th years; Character Death, Sexual Situations, Strong Profanity, Violence
    Summary:Marcus Flint and Millicent Bulstrode.

Love sometimes thrives in the unlikeliest quarters, and between the unlikeliest souls.

Reason for Recommendation:This pairing is so deliciously awful and yet I enjoyed it so much. If you're looking for something a little different, with a twisted, treacherous pairing, then this fic is definitely for you!

Title (+Link): Time and Tide
    Author: minnabird
    Warnings/Ratings: 6th-7th years; Sexual Situations
    Summary:Filius has seen her all his life: the Woman. She has been drifting through time, drawn always towards him, never aging or changing.

She is the one thing he does not question.

Reason for Recommendation: This fic is so so clever. Not only does Minna master a seemingly implausible pairing, but it's just so lyrically written that it really does ebb and flow like the tide.

Title (+Link): The Chartreuse Chanteuse
    Author: Gmariam
    Warnings/Ratings: 6th-7th years; Mild Profanity, Sexual Situations, Substance Abuse
    Summary: Five years after his experience in the Vanishing Cabinet, Graham Montague is a different man: a man still struggling to recover, to live, to love. Yet a chance meeting with a young singer at a bar changes him in more ways than one...
    Reason for Recommendation: Gina takes one small detail about a minor character and builds him around that detail until it feels like JKR wrote him herself! The mystery is what makes this fic so compelling, and even after knowing the twist at the end, it keeps me coming back time and again to reread.

Title (+Link): Consolation
    Author: Gmariam
    Warnings/Ratings: 3rd-5th years; Character Death, Sexual Situations, Substance Abuse
    Summary: For years, Remus Lupin found comfort in the arms of Rosmerta Richardson...until the day he no longer needed her consolation.
    Reason for Recommendation: This fic is like a series of bittersweet missing moments. Remus is perfectly in character, and the way Gina weaves the narrative around his life story is really well done. Rosmerta comes to life, too, and the moments that she shares with Remus, while brief, are very touching.

Title (+Link): Where We Started From
    Warnings/Ratings: 6th-7th years; Epilogue? What Epilogue?, Mild Profanity, Sexual Situations
    Summary:Dean Thomas slaves hard in the Department of Magical Sports and Games (or rather he doodles on his blotter and ignores his ever expanding in tray). But the work is deathly dull, until one day his boss hands him a pair of tickets for the Appleby Arrows V Holyhead Harpies game.

He's delighted to be going until he realises that Ginny Weasley will be flying.

For although she's now single, Dean isn't sure they can ever go back.

Reason for Recommendation: Carole expands upon a relationship often forgot: Ginny and Dean, and the way their lives intersect in later years. The characterisation is spot on and the story is very much an entertaining read, sure to keep your attention until the last line.

Lovely banner by Toni! Icon from toreadabook on lj.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Title: The Accidental Godmother
    Author: Ruby Emeralds
    Reason for recommendation: Ruby has captured the true essence of Snape while still managing to convince her audience that he really can love someone other than Lily. She also does a fantastic job with her OC, and she manages to do an excellent job of paralleling the true events of the last 3 books. This story made me laugh, it made me cry, and it made me beg for more.
    Review: the best reviews out of the hundredth-something I have given for this story (for this link alone, there are three from me on that page!)...

Title: The Accidental Tour
    Reason for recommendation: Ruby does characterization so well, and I also love the idea of Snape spending more time with the golden trio, even if he hates them. And once again, I fell in love with this pairing, and I swear that JKR should have hired Ruby to write out Snape's future!!! *sheepish grin*
    Review: not a long one, but praise nonethless

Title: The Accidental Baby-Sitters
    Reason for recommendation: Once again, Ruby captures the characterization of Snape while still managing to make me laugh and fall in love with this pairing.
    Review: drumroll

Title: The Accidental Parents
    Reason for recommendation: Ruby does a rather effortless job of capturing true emotion in her characters, and they seem like such real people that it's hard to remember that the story is just a story and not someone's biography.
    Review: woohoo!

Title: The Accidental Family
    Reason for recommendation: Although it may no longer be "accidental," this family makes me laugh so hard, and the story truly showcases Snape as being a human being with all human feelings. This was such a great read because it really captured the true essence of every family having problems, but still having that close family bond and having love for each other.
    Review: tada
    Last edited by ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor; 11-30-2013 at 05:59 PM.
    Banner by minnabird