Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a Canon Romance Fiction

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower

Recommend a Canon Romance Fiction

Read a really good canon romance and think everyone else should read it too? Recommend it here!

Form:

PHP Code:
    [B]Title (+Link):[/B]
    [
    B]Author:[/B]
    [
    b]Warnings/Ratings:[/b]
    [
    b]Summary:[/b]
    [
    B]Reason for Recommendation:[/B]
    [
    B]Review (optional):[/B

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Arguing With The Sorting Hat
    Title (+Link): What Would You Do?
    Author: ron lover
    Reason for Recommendation: This is a great, not over kill fluffy, romance between James and Lily. The author shows the couple in a very light-hearted, passionate way. It's exactly how you would picture the lovely pairing in their first few years of marriage and makes you wish for that same kind of relationship.
    Review (optional):

Review by Padfoot Patronus
    First off darling, I think the rating could do with an upgradation. You gave my navel some serious feelings - the monster alive down there, heh *shakes head* I'm very torn while reviewing this, because this is not what I had expected. So the story Exceeds Expectations. And I'll tell you why.

The first part flows. Yes, it does, but some dialogues stood out and fit better than others did. “What was that, Potter? I didn’t hear you.” I still love it when he calls me that. Sometimes he says it dirtily, which makes me shiver, like it did just now. Gosh, I think this could have been written with even better emotion but the message it what made it peek clouds. The characterisation in other words - the implication that I'd always wanted to read, James being uncouth, rough, dirty. He's a man with an ego to challenge Everest, this behaviour is so expected of him, and how I had been waiting for some one to capture it. The fact that this in some twisted part-pleasant, part-unpleasant way perturbs Lily adds three stars.

I'd also always imagined an exchange between them where James would play perverted responses with Lily in a seemingly simple conversation. I loved this interaction.

Just a little thing, but I'm being picky here: they are just too awake when it's supposed to be autumn morning. But I can't pretend at the same time to know very much about sex craved couples, so I guess you have free rein there.

“Harry, this is your chance. You can learn to walk without your father laughing at you every time you fall. So, start moving those little legs of yours!” Nicely written.

The lines at the ending close the winning deal. James' time and time brought up faith in his friends, and then you have Lily reacting to that in a sharp tone. Good one. I like that she's losing confidence. I particularly was very baffled by the characterisation that becomes apparent from her letter in DH. I like your interpretation better.

Between the two, however, I like James more. You got him spot on. Well done with that.

A couple things: 'Honey' is still very much an Americanism in the Marauder Era. Also in - At page seventy-four, the hero just gave the heroine a four-thousand dollar diamond ring 'Dollar'? She's reading an American novel?

-Akay-
    ~♥~Author's Page ~♥~ Drabbles ~♥~ I Beta ~♥~ Poet Page ~♥~ I Duel ~♥~
    Fantastic banner by minnabird, thank you!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Title (+Link): A Different View of Love
    Author: Helz Belz
    Reason for Recommendation: Very funny and original story about James/Lily swapping bodies. Yes, this has been done before and since but never with quite so much wit, and also with some great pathos. The characterisation of the Marauders is second to none. This is a wonderful fic (and will be on Audio fics soon - heh heh)
    Review (optional): Chapter 8. What's our game plan?
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Protecting Scabbers from Crookshanks
    Title (+Link): One of Those Days
    Author: Pogonotrophy
    Reason for Recommendation: James/Lily is one pairing which has hundreds of fanfictions dedicated to it. What sets Pogonotrophy's one-shot apart is that it shows a precise understanding of the dynamics of their early relationship. Besides, the way it is written is refreshing.
    Review (optional): HERE!

Title (+Link): Beneath the Shell
    Author: Afifa
    Reason for Recommendation: Another fic on James/Lily. But one which shows James' vulnerability, and doesn't misrepresent him as an overtly optimistic, obnoxious boy.

Title (+Link): A Different View of Love
    Author: helz_belz
    Reason for Recommendation: James/Lily again! But this one is so completely unique, hilarious as well as emotional. A wild, funny rollercoaster ride which gives a new take on how Lily fell in love with James. You won't be disappointed.

Title (+Link): Twilit Confessions
    Author: ahattab33
    Reason for Recommendation: A good songfic featuring Ron/Hermione. Great romance, plus Ron is shown as having matured - always nice to read.

Title (+Link): Apparently Asleep
    Author: Equinox Chick
    Reason for Recommendation: Tonks/Lemus, great pairing, but I don't think there are that many fanfictions written on them. However, Equinox Chick has written their story with such imagination and precision that I don't think we'd need to read other versions. This is one of those fic which you begin to believe is canon.

Title (+Link): Moments
    Author: ahattab33
    Reason for Recommendation: What were Harry and Ginny during those "stolen moments" in HBP? Read to find out.

Title (+Link): The First Drop of Rain
    Author: Rikku
    Reason for Recommendation: Read it just for how superbly Lily has been characterized, and how her feelings for James are explored.

Title (+Link): Home
    Author: ron lover
    Reason for Recommendation: I don't read many Harry/Ginny fics, but I loved the moment which Alyssa picked for her story. It shows Ginny being vulnerable for once, and lets us see what was going through her mind after the battle, and it doesn't disappoint.
    ]

Banner by BELLA THE HELLA. <3

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor

Title (+Link): Sir Oscar O'Reilly
    Author: MagEd
    Reason for Recommendation: This story is a cute James/Lily. It is believable from the begining to the end. It made me laugh and it made me smile.

Title:The One Miracle
    Reason for Recomendation: This is another James/Lily story, but not like others. It isn't a James/Lily fluffy one-shot. They fight, but it's for a good reason. James and Lily are IC the whole time, which makes the one-shot better.

Title (+Link): Five Christmases
    Author: hestiajones
    Warnings/Ratings: 1-2 year; sexual situations, mild profanity
    Summary:
    It took four Christmases for Andromeda Black and Ted Tonks to get together.
    Reason for Recommendation: This is a cute, believable Ted/Andromeda one-shot. It made me smile and at the end, I just wanted it to keep going forever. It was one of those kinds of stories.
    ily Andi, Lise, Ronnie, and Becca.

Banner by Bine/Luinrina. Lise/Annalise made my fun-to-look-at avvie. I've been ghosted!

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Title (+Link):Life Happens
    Author:ColorOfAngels
    Warnings/Ratings:Rated: 6th-7th Years: Book 7 Disregarded, Book 6 Disregarded, Sexual Situations
    Summary:Life Is What Happens When You Are Busy Making Plans.

This is the story of Harry J. Potter and Ginny M. Weasley, their lives, friendships, realtionships and everything in between. Life doesn't always take the road they expect or want, but they soon learn that no matter what they do or how hard they try, the world stops for no man and that simply put, Life Happens.
    Reason for Recommendation:This is an interesting alternate take on Harry and Ginny post-Voldemort. Instead of becoming an Auror and societal sacrifice, Harry pursues a career in Quidditch, which slowly drives him from Ginny. Sadly, this story will never be finished, but even knowing that, I would have still read it, becaues I like it that much.
    Review (optional):not a good one, I'm afraid
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    Title: But I'm A Gryffindor
    Author: KASK
    Warnings/Ratings: 1st-2nd years, none
    Summary:
    James always put being a Gryffindor above all else...
    Reason for Recommendation: This shows a unique (cute and funny) story of how James and Lily got together. I think this is very believable, but still interesting and creative.
    Review (optional): Click

Title: On Any Day
    Warnings/Ratings: 3rd-4th years, sexual situations
    Summary:
    "Ron . . . it was never Harry. It was always you. It was ever only you. Just you."

It's been two months since Ron and Hermione shared their first kiss. Now they're facing another first: their first date. *one-shot*
    Reason for Recommendation: This is a really funny, believable, adorable R/Hr romance. *sighs* It's just all around great and a fun read.
    Review (optional): my (not so) great review

Title: Snowflakes
    Author: The_Dream_Team
    Warnings/Ratings: 3rd-5th years, DH Spoilers
    Summary:
    And there he was. The one boy she could not stand. His messy, jet black hair was ruffled and untidy and his glasses were sitting crooked on his nose. James Potter was here. With Lily. And all her Muggle friends. At a Muggle ski resort. Could things possibly be worse? Oh yeah, Sirius Black is there, too.
    Reason for Recommendation: This is different. And funny. And great. And needs to be updated soon! xD
    Review (optional): Ta-daa!

Title: Someone To Watch Over Me
    Warnings/Ratings: 6th-7th years, Book 7 Disregarded
    Summary:
    2009 QSQ Awards Winner for Best Chaptered Canon Romance

Before the chosen one was ever born, his parents had to meet, fall in love, and defy Voldemort three times. Easier said than done. Things were never easy for Harry Potter's parents, but it gets a whole lot harder when Death Eaters kidnap Lily. This is the story of Lily and James, the trials they face, and how James finally wins Lily's heart. (pre-Deathly Hallows)

*Completed*

“I’ll always protect you.”
    Reason for Recommendation: This fic pulls one in, I swear. I could not think of anything else until I finished this. It's a great story.
    Review (optional): there are several on the first page... click!

Title: The Affectionate Bet
    Author: mutualunderstanding
    Warnings/Ratings: 3rd-5th years, DH Spoilers
    Summary:
    Harry and Ginny had a good reason for not showing any sign of their love when they dropped off their boys at the Hogwarts Express. They had just wanted to win their daughter a little money. After all, she was the only one who believed that they'd be able to keep their hands off of each other for two days. And what a fiasco that was.
    Reason for Recommendation: this is a funny fic that addresses something I am sure a lot of Harry/Ginny fans are bound to have asked themselves. I loved it. I was smiling all the way.

Title: The One Miracle
    Warnings/Ratings: 3rd-5th years, none
    Summary:
    “I’m willing to die for this war but I’m not willing to sacrifice my life for it! And maybe you don’t understand, but it’s not the same thing, James; it’s not the same thing!” In the middle of the first war against Voldemort, James and Lily Potter's world is crumbling in around them. Will their marriage crumble as well? *one-shot*
    Reason for Recommendation: this is such a heart wrenching fic. Who can stand to have Lily and James fight? Still the ending = pure funny-ness.

Title: The Prongs Complex
    Author: Cherry and Phoenix Feather
    Warnings/Ratings: 3rd-5th years
    Summary:
    James finally asks Lily out. The problem is, he chose a roundabout way of getting to her. Plus, he stands a high risk of breaking his neck in the process. Told from Remus Lupin's POV. Rated 3rd-5th years for slight language and mild innuendo on James's part. One-shot.
    Reason for Recommendation: I enjoy this fic every time I read it. It's just fantastic.

Title: What Better Way
    Warnings/Ratings: 1st-2nd years, none
    Summary:
    I hadn't seen him since I was eleven, but he had a rather distinct look about him. It was hard, after all, to forget that black hair that stuck up in the back and the bright green eyes behind those glasses. And the scar — I had always thought it neat to have a scar shaped like a lightening bolt.

Jane Martin sees the odd, quiet boy she went to primary school with years ago in a jewellery shop and she's shocked to see how much things have changed for the boy with taped glasses and baggy clothes. *one-shot*
    Reason for Recommendation: *sighs again* How can stories be so great? This really combines the Muggle and the Wizarding world, the old and the new. It's funny, it's light, it's perfect.
    Review (optional): http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/revi...=ST&item=84547
    avvie by Annalise and banner Dinny/Evora - Becca, Lyss, Lise, Ronnie, ily <3
    GO GO GRYFFINDOR

IckleRonniex
    Title*(+Link): And Every Day is a Start
    Warnings/Ratings: 6th-7th Years Warnings: None
    Summary:
    "My marriage is falling apart for no apparent reason," she declares.

Ginny Potter loves her husband, loves her children, and loves her life. At least, she used to. But things are changing, and she's not sure why.
    Reason*for*Recommendation: This story is pure gold. Ginny's desperation to keep her marriage together and her desire to stay young and fun is funny at times. Though as the story develops, you start to feel her struggle and heartbreak. Amazingly written.
    Review*(optional):* none

Lainey_Lupin
    Title (+Link): Purple Ink
    Author: Nymphea
    Warnings/Ratings: 3rd-5th years; no warnings
    Summary: James and Lily didn't wake up one morning and find they were in love with each other...but two mornings in particular were a help. So were two letters written in purple ink.
    Reason for Recommendation: A very interesting take on what could have been the reason why the Lily and James might have started to become more then friends. If you like Lily/James stories, this is definitely one that you should read.

Title (+Link): Lily and James: Their Story of Love
    Author: Secret Lily
    Warnings/Ratings: Rating isn't listed ( ); no warnings
    Summary: "Love is unexplainable. There are no words for it. You can’t express why you feel so. It just happens," James said. "“Don’t you think that if I had the choice I would have chosen to love someone who didn’t hate me in return?”

“No,” Sirius said simply.

“You’re right.” James said, sighing. “I’m so screwed up, Padfoot.”

The drama-filled romantic tale of Lily and James's mysterious but unfortunate tale. It started with love and ended with death. It makes you wonder about the things they tried to live for. Pre-HBP

Reason for Recommendation: This is a must read for all Lily and James lovers. While the size of this story looks a bit daunting, it's a really good read once you get started. This is a classic love story that is very well written.

Fifth Year Slytherin
    What's With Mars?
    Title (+Link): I'll Pick You Up
    Warnings/Ratings: 6th-7th years/ Character Death, Sexual Situations.
    Summary:
    “Guilt brings people together. It’s a takes one to know one type thing.”

James Potter has always been a spoiled, arrogant, lazy show-off. When he enters his final year at Hogwarts School, he’s Head Boy . . . and he’s still a spoiled, arrogant, lazy, show-off. But because of that terrible summer, he’s also guilt-ridden.

Lily Evans has always been a self-righteous, impatient, temperamental know-it-all. When she begins her last year at Hogwarts, she’s Head Girl . . . and still a self-righteous, impatient, temperamental know-it-all. But the first night back — and the murder that takes the entire school by surprise — leave her guilt-ridden as well.

With the darkness that’s surrounding the Wizarding world slowly seeping, at long last, onto the grounds of Hogwarts and into the lives of James Potter and Lily Evans, what comes next?
    Reason for Recommendation: This is really a great story. The characterization has been done wonderfully - Lily isn't a Mary-Sue, and James isn't that perfect, popular guy that he is regularly made out to be. Other characters within the story have been done just as well and are all completely realistic and different in their own little way. The plotline, as well, keeps you reading and wanting more. It is filled with both romance and angst, as well as happy moments here and there. Nothing is over done and nothing is under done. I am really, really loving it.

Title (+Link): Adventures in Courtship
    Author: SunDevil05
    Warnings/Ratings: 6th-7th years/ Sexual Situations
    Summary:
    The war is over. Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley finally have the chance for the happiness they've been craving. But, with Harry recovering from the war and Ginny back in school, can they finally have the relationship they've always wanted?
    Reason for Recommendation: This story is so wonderful fluffy that you've just gotta love it :P But, even better than that is the developement of Harry and Ginny as characters. You get to watch them grow and make careful decisions. It deals with the tension of normal teenagers, but adds Potter style.

Ronnie, Lyss, Becca, Andi, you guys are amazing. <3

I'M BACK, BABY! *evil laugh*