Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Triwizard Tournament

PhoenixAscendant

Triwizard Tournament

I'm writing a story about the Next-Generation kids, and I have a whole plot up, then I remember the fact that the Triwizard tournament plays a big role in my idea of their 6th year. How likely is it that they decide to bring the Triwizard Tournament back? Last time they tried, the Cup was Confunded, 4 champions participated, and someone died. It doesn't seem like a very good way to convince them to continue with the tradition.

the_weird_one
    It isn't very likely for them at all to bring it back, especially since the whole reason they didn't bring it back for a long time is that people died, which is exactly what happened now. It isn't very possible that they would take that risk to repeat it again.

However, the whole reason they did bring it back in the first place is that they made a lot of changes to the rules and the challenges, so you could say that. Also, this wouldn't happen spontaneously, like the Ministry wouldn't just say, "Hey! We're bored! We wanna bring back the Triwizard Tournament!" There'd have to be some people behind it, maybe some other wizarding schools pushing because of the positive outcome it had with their students, or some other reason like that.

-Addy

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

I think they would bring it back. After the war, the great big threat is gone, and they could add more security measures, for example to the cup - learn from their mistakes. Mostly though, the whole wizarding world will be a lot about growing closer, now that the constant fear is gone, and I think the three schools would find it good to reunite.

Things you'd have to consider though - is Madam Maxime still headmistress or did she give up her post when she went on that mission? It was in the holidays, but Im not sure if she returned to her headmistress duties.

Secondly, McGonagall (or any other new HM at Hogwarts) doesn't have the same strong relation to the two other schools that Dumbledore apparently had, so it might take some more work to actually bring it all together.

And then of course Karkaroff isn't headmaster anymore, and would the new headmaster want Durmstrang to participate, what kind of person is he..
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

PhoenixAscendant
    I think Madame Maxine would still be Headmistress. I don't have a name for the Durmstrang Headmaster, but I see him as the sort of guy who's big on international magical cooperation. He wants Durmstrang students to get the best education. If another country's school has a new, better technique, he looks it up, and quite possibly implements it. He's very competitive.

But yeah. Definitely more security. The 'must be of age' rule is still there. I would imagine the Goblet of Fire is kept under tight watch, to hopefully keep people from confunding it. Enchantments would be put up to prevent students from dropping someone else's name in. Medics on patrol during each task. But death is always a risk in the Triwizard tournament. That's just the kind of thing it is.

Fifth Year Slytherin
    What's With Mars?
    I think that Madam Maxime will still be headmistress, and I like the sound of your Durmstrang headmaster. He sounds like some one who would go to Durmstrang, and would teach there.

One thing, though, is that the TriWizard tournament organizers would pick three schools from all around the world, not necessarily Hogwarts, Durmstrang and Bauxbatons. I think it would be a good, and in my opinion, more believable idea if you brought in some new schools. Hogwarts could still be a part of the three for some reason like Kingsley being one of the main organizers, and being the one to push it the most, as well as the Headmaster/Headmistress of Hogwarts.

~ Annalise x

Ronnie, Lyss, Becca, Andi, you guys are amazing. <3

I'M BACK, BABY! *evil laugh*

PhoenixAscendant
    Hmm....other schools? Why would Durmstrang and Beauxbatons not want to participate? It seems like they are the Big 3 of Europe. What other countries would participate, if Durmstrang/Beauxbatons opted out?

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixAscendant
    Hmm....other schools? Why would Durmstrang and Beauxbatons not want to participate? It seems like they are the Big 3 of Europe. What other countries would participate, if Durmstrang/Beauxbatons opted out?
    You may recall that both Karkaroff and Madame Maxime were extremely upset that Hogwarts ended up with two champions, and that, combined with the events that led to Cedric's death, may have convinced them, or at least their respective boards of directors, that it was not worth the risk to their students. It may be their only chance to hold another tournament to appeal to the headmasters of other schools.

As for what other countries...use your imagination. If you want to use an Australian school, use one. If you want a Brazilian school, use one. It almost gives you carte blance to explore different cultures and how they might incorporate magic into their societies.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Fifth Year Slytherin
    What's With Mars?
    You may recall that both Karkaroff and Madame Maxime were extremely upset that Hogwarts ended up with two champions, and that, combined with the events that led to Cedric's death, may have convinced them, or at least their respective boards of directors, that it was not worth the risk to their students. It may be their only chance to hold another tournament to appeal to the headmasters of other schools.

As for what other countries...use your imagination. If you want to use an Australian school, use one. If you want a Brazilian school, use one. It almost gives you carte blance to explore different cultures and how they might incorporate magic into their societies.
    I actually didn't think about that, but that is incredibly true. My reasoning is that there are obviously more than three schools in Britain and especially in the world.

Australia would be a wonderful school (australia=love/amazingness/wow) choice, as well as one in America. The combined cultures and accents and values and attitudes would be amazing to write.

~ Annalise x

Australia. *sigh* Yeah, it's awesome, so, yeah. :P

Ronnie, Lyss, Becca, Andi, you guys are amazing. <3

I'M BACK, BABY! *evil laugh*

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    The Triwizard tournament was founded 700 years before and only contested between the three biggest European schools. (Hogwarts, Durmstrang, Beauxbatons) That information is taken from Goblet of Fire. Whilst it's true that Harry's name was put in the Goblet under another school name, you will need a valid reason why the other schools aren't entering if you want a different school in there.

Basically you're going to need big schools as well. The reason Harry's name came out was because he was the only one from that school. It would be unfair if Hogwarts - for instance - competed against a small school from Andorra because they'd have a far bigger
    pool of pupils to choose from.

You could have a new competition taking in more schools from across the world.

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Carole
    Basically you're going to need big schools as well. The reason Harry's name came out was because he was the only one from that school. It would be unfair if Hogwarts - for instance - competed against a small school from Andorra because they'd have a far bigger
    pool of pupils to choose from.
    I'm sure there would be other wizarding academies that are as big or bigger than Hogwarts, such as an American school, or perhaps one from China or India, which are the two most populous nations in the world. Perhaps other European nations, such as Italy, Germany, Greece or Spain would have a large enough student body to compete on some sort of equal footing as Hogwarts.

It would certainly be a culture change from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang, but if nobody from the previous two schools enter, I'm thinking the Goblet would be intelligent enough (it is an object under some extremely sophisticated magic) to know that the other schools would be taking their place. If not, it was Confunded once...
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.