Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a Moderator -- Part VII

Unregistered
    I've searched all over the web site, and I can't find anything on this. When I try to select "poetry" for my story category , it says that the category is locked and to select a subcategory. However, there is no poetry subcategory. What should I do?

Oppungo
    I have a rather strange problem - when I tried to PM Jenna a fic, it wouldn't let me. Whenever I clicked 'Sumbit' or 'Preview' it just kept saying that I needed to input both sets of data, and I saw that it had deleted the contents of my PM. Is there a character count on PMs, as mine was really long - the equivelent of about 12 pages on Word. However, it let me PM her the explanation of the fact that I couldn't PM it to her and other smaller sized PMs, if that means anything.

Happy holidays, everyone!

3. 12-25-2006, 04:12 AM

babekitty_92
    Sorry that this is in the wrong spot but I couldn't remember where I was supposed to post it (whether here or the no rejection letter thread) but My third chapter of "One's Dream's Another's Nightmare" has been in for more than a week (I am pretty sure). I have been checking the "view chapters" thing on my Manage stories area and it's hasn't been deleted, it just says it hasn't been validated.

Would you rather I simply delete it and re-submit when the queues re-open or...? Sorry I'm such a pain, I understand there has been a lot of work for you wonderful mods.

Thanks! Oh, Merry Christmas to you all too!
    Abbi

Lycanthropist
    Quote Originally Posted by apollo13
    In my fic there is a girl called Emilie with an accute accent on the E. When I wrote it on word I got it from the symbols box. But when it was posted on Mugglenet Fanfic her name came up as ...milie, which confused me and my readers a lot. I'm assuming this happened because I got it from the symbols box but is there any way I could get it to appear in my story? I've tried C'n'P the symbol into my story but that doesn't work either.
    When inputting letters with accents in a story, I believe you need to use the code-alt format to input them on word, rather than using the insert symbol function. For every symbol and letter on a computer, there's a numerical code that can be inputted to display these. Basically, you press down the Alt key then type the numerical code. For example, you want a capital E with an acute accent, press Alt + 0201, and your computer will substitue what you input with an .

(This will not work on the forums, just for reference, as you can just copy-paste it, but there are times, like on MNFF when you cannot.)

For your code-alt needs, I find this page very useful and saved it to my bookmarks.

Windows Alt Key Codes If my explanation's a bit fuzzy, here's a usage guide. [Index]

nysuperstarz & Snape's Talon, we thank you for your vigilance and it is greatly appreciated, but this is a thread for questions. In the future, please PM a moderator. Thank you.

Unregistered, that may be because the queue is closed. If you visit the first page of MNFF, you'll see an announcement for that. Try resubmitting after January 1, 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Oppungo
    I have a rather strange problem - when I tried to PM Jenna a fic, it wouldn't let me. Whenever I clicked 'Sumbit' or 'Preview' it just kept saying that I needed to input both sets of data, and I saw that it had deleted the contents of my PM. Is there a character count on PMs, as mine was really long - the equivelent of about 12 pages on Word. However, it let me PM her the explanation of the fact that I couldn't PM it to her and other smaller sized PMs, if that means anything.
    Hmm . . . It could be that our message system has a hidden maximum character count, though I do find it strange that it told you what it did instead of voicing the character count problem, like it does with anything less than fifty characters. It might of been a minor glitch at that point in time? Unfortunately, I don't have a straight answer, so I'm going to stick with the maximum character count for now.

babekitty_92 - Yes, this is the wrong place for your request, but to answer, if your submission has not been deleted, it is most likely still in the queue. We do moderate during the hols; we just don't accept new submissions once the queue's closed.

When your submission has been in the queue for more than six days, it is recommended that you kindly PM a mod with your penname, story title, and category so that we may check.

Madame Marauder
    Do y'all have a policy for redoing and revamping fics? I have one that I am not overly pleased with and am redoing during the holiday. Would you rather that I delete the old one, or simply change the title? The new one will have a bit of the same plot, but on the whole will be a lot better.

nikkiolapotter
    Hey, modlies! I was wondering when you're going to be accepting more BA members? I sent my application almost a month ago, and I haven't recieved a reply. Happy Holidays!

Potions Mistress Hufflepuff
    Receiving Toilet Seats
    MM, my opinion is if your story is undergoing a major rewrite, with changes to the plot, the characters, and the sequence of action, you should resubmit it. If there are just a handful of minor changes, don't worry about it. That's my opinion; I'm not aware of an actual "policy" on that.

nikkiolapotter, where did you submit your application? The BA is now officially headed by the lovely Foxy Wolf and forgotten_poems. If you sent your application to QueenHal, it needs resubmitted. If you submitted it to either of the two co-leaders, I'm sure they wouldn't mind a PM following up on your question.

Behind every computer monitor is a person with feelings, just like yours.
    THINK BEFORE YOU TYPE.

Author Page

Siriusly Padfoot

help!

Sorry if this has already been answered before, but I am new here.

If your story has been removed from your account area 3 or 4 days after you've submitted it, does that mean the the mod is checking it or that it has been rejected?

Schmerg_The_Impaler
    For quite awhile, I've wanted to move my Gauntlet story, "To Be Or Nott To Be" from the Gauntlet section to general, but for some reason, every time I try, it says "That category is locked. Please try a sub-category." I also tried moving it to Dark/Angsty to see what would happen and got the same results, although I'm quite sure there's no sub-categories in Dark/Angsty.

Naturally, I'm quite confused. And it's not just doing this because the queue is inoperative-- I've tried on at least ten other days to change the category.

Loralie
    Hi guys...

I have several stories in my Favorites list ( as I'm sure most of us do ) and so I get e-mails whenever they are updated. My issue is that I get anywhere from 3-7 e-mail notifications for one update. While this isn't that big of a deal, it tends to clutter my inbox, and I get alot of e-mails as it is! Is there anyway to fix this?

thanks!