Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a Moderator -- Part VII

songbook99
    MizzRonWeasley, if you are not receiving rejection emails, you need to post in the 'I didn't get a Rejection letter' Thread with the story information so that the mod who modded your story might recognize it and contact you with the reasons for rejection.

Oppungo, that's the first I've heard of the problem with not receiving emails about new PMs. You may want to consider changing the email to the Yahoo! account, just to be safe.

SnowyHedwig112, the dots that look like traffic signals next to usernames signal the users online status. The green dot is for users who are logged in and active on the boards. The yellow dot is for users who are logged in but are not currently active. The red dot is for users who are not logged in.

Lipington, the current moderators will evaluate the moderator applications. The applicants will be notified of our decisions once they have been made.

Gin_Drinka, if the head moderators have not gotten back to you, it's probably because they are busy at the moment. I'm sure they will look into your problem and let you know once they've managed to figure out how to help you.

Unregistered
    I'm having problems logging-in, I can't be logged in even though I have the right password and all, and even if I'm logged in, I couldn't possibly be logged in always (the 'remember me' service, wouldn't work). What should I do?

-Paisa

3. 12-22-2006, 07:44 PM

4. 12-22-2006, 07:51 PM

5. 12-23-2006, 12:56 AM

MrsRuebeusHagridDursley

Posting

This is the 3rd time I've tried posting my question. Does anyone know hat's going on?

My question: Where is the Great Hall? I can't find it and I want to enter the FanFic contests.

Sixth Year Ravenclaw
    Petrificus Totalus!
    So I'm new here - and relatively new to fanfiction. I need some advice about a story I'm writing... I have the first chapter written; it takes place at Hogwarts and has all of the teachers and such but I have my own characters (that is allowed, right?). I needed advice about when to post my story. I have the plot all written up and, like I said, the first chapter finished. But I don't know if I want to put the first chap up yet... I'm afraid I might want to change something or I won't write for a while. I do want to get reviews and such. Should I put it up now?

((this isn't a technical issue or whatever, sorry, I just wanted somebody's advice))

Vindictus Viridian
    Quote Originally Posted by Snape's Talon
    Once a chapter or story has been validated, if an author goes back and edits it (whether for corrections or additions), are the Mods notified? If not, and the correction/addition is substantial, should the author notified the Mods first?

Just curious ...
    No to the first question -- but radical changes should be re-validated, especially if it's a sensitive subject or if the writer had trouble getting the chapter validated the first time due to mechanics issues. After all, this is about keeping the site tidy and so on. I know you didn't have that second problem , but this is a post for all and sundry. Thanks for the prompt about the username.

Paisa, I'm going to hope someone reading this thread knows computers better than I do, as I have no idea what's wrong with that.

MsRHD: the Great Hall is not visible until you're Sorted, and you need to be Sorted to enter the Challenges anyway, for all practical purposes. Likewise, that's why your posts weren't showing -- until you are Sorted, your posts have to be hand-validated by a mod and your triple-posts have to be hand-deleted by a mod. That's why our drug-ad 'users' can't leave their spam all over the place in plain viewable sight.

MissBean, this would be a better question for General Fanfiction Discussion. However, my advice would be to work on chapter two while a site-experienced beta-reader works on chapter one, as it will save you stress and time in the queue, and is a good pattern for making sure your readers will always have another chapter coming eventually.

Sixth Year Ravenclaw
    Petrificus Totalus!
    Another question... why am I not able to create a new thread?

I write it all up and click "create new thread" and it brings me to a page telling me:

"Thank you for posting! You will now be taken to your post. If the administrator has selected to moderate all posts in this forum, you will be taken back to the forum and your post will be displayed presently. If you opted to post a poll, you will now be allowed to do so."

...but it never shows up.
    lurky! pm to keep in contact please!

songbook99
    MissBean, all posts in the General Fanfic Discussion forum made by non-Sorted members, such as yourself, must be moderated. Therefore, your posts will not be visible until a moderator has gone through and approved the post. Once you get Sorted, your posts will be visible automatically. Until then, please refrain from posting multiple times just because you don't see your post as this then causes the moderator to delete your multiple posts.

lain
    I'm having problems logging-in, I can't be logged in even though I have the right password and all, and even if I'm logged in, I couldn't possibly be logged in always (the 'remember me' service, wouldn't work). What should I do?

-Paisa
    Quote Originally Posted by Vindictus Viridian

Paisa, I'm going to hope someone reading this thread knows computers better than I do, as I have no idea what's wrong with that.

I've been having the same problem over the last few days when I try to log in on the main page. Sometimes I will even show on the user list as being logged in but I can not access the rest of the site. I don't know enough about computers to say what is wrong, but I have found that if I try go to an area where you must be logged in to access (ie, try to send a PM) the other log in screen comes up and I can successfully enter from there. I know this doesn't fix anything, but it may help you until someone who knows more than I comes along.

Hope this helps and I'm sorry if I wasn't supposed to post here...

apollo13
    In my fic there is a girl called Emilie with an accute accent on the E. When I wrote it on word I got it from the symbols box. But when it was posted on Mugglenet Fanfic her name came up as ...milie, which confused me and my readers a lot. I'm assuming this happened because I got it from the symbols box but is there any way I could get it to appear in my story? I've tried C'n'P the symbol into my story but that doesn't work either.

-Evie

nysuperstarz
    Somebody just posted an ad for Sony and Nokia in the Beta Services Board, just thought, you'd like to know.

~Roop