Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Ask a Moderator -- Part VII

AurorGirl101
    Since the "Ask'' Thread isn't up for the Spring Term (For classes) I don't know where else to ask this. Can I sign up for two of the classes in Madame Puddifoots? Or should I pick just one? Thanks in advance!!

Onbegrepen
    I was just wondering if someone could expalin the classes thing to me, i don't really understand what it's all about but it sounds intresting. Also how do you sign up?

Thanks!

Vindictus Viridian
    *goes to change header on school questions thread*

AurorGirl101: There's nothing to stop you, but you'll probably be covering similar material. The difference is the depth and workload (and, in NEWT Romance, some more challenging subject matter, such as slashfic.) Since the Romance classes have enrolment caps, and look to be very popular, I'd suggest picking just one.

Onbegrepen: The classes are, at core, a set of discussions on a topic that relates to writing fanfic (and anything else, hopefully.) In a sense, they're sequential challenges. For instance, there's usually a topic per week for discussion and at least one writing assignment. Different levels expect different amounts of work; for instance, First-Year classes have most of their material right here on the forums and tackle fairly small-scale problems. OWL level may send you to the archives to search for examples of a fanfic idea, or to the Harry Potter Lexicon to look things up, and may expect higher-quality responses to writing assignments. NEWT level will probably take you off MNFF altogether and/or make you do some serious thinking -- it's usually meant to be closer to university-level classes than the rest, though I have never found a university creative-writing class that focuses on outside topics quite the way Hogwarts does.

Mostly Hogwarts is meant to bring some new material and ideas into the writing processes. If students are learning journalistic style, or psychology, or elements of romance writing, or history, some of that will come through sooner or later in a new and remarkable piece of writing. Hogwarts is also meant as a resource for writers who need work on skills and cannot find that guidance elsewhere.

4. 01-12-2007, 02:49 AM

Ron x Hermione
    Well, I was actually thinking about joining one of the classes for the Spring Term, but I can't see even the forum. It just says, "Hogwarts Spring Term" or something or another. I just want to view it; it won't let me, it says that there is nothing there. Is there even any classes there yet to view?

Sorry, one more question. I am trying to submit my fic to the New Year's Challenge cat. It shows up when I am searching for fics on MNFF in the Contest Submissions.. but when I try and submit my own, the New Year's Challenge is not an option. What do I need to do? I would really like to submit this and get it up soon, yet I'm confused! *giggles*

Please help me, and thank you so much for all that you do on MNFF.

Thanks,
    ~Lindsey

jmegray

The Que

OK, I have searched the site using the word que and didn't get an answer, I have 3 kids I cant search all day so maybe I can get some answers here.

1. Can we see the que on the site to see where we are on the list?

2. The first time I submitted my story it was rejected because I put it in 2 categories by misteak and it was deleted. I resubmitted and haven't received another notice that it was rejected or accepted. It is still on my account page and it let me add 7 chapters to it today, does that mean it was accepted?

3. I was also able to add my story to my favorites page and all 8 chapters show up. Why then if I search the authors does my name not come up nor does my story?

4. Sorry this is my first fanfic and I have actually almost finished writing it. Last question, After your story is accepted does it take just as long to validat each chapter before it is available to the public or is it faster?

Thanks,
    Kristy

songbook99
    Ron x Hermione, you should be able to view the Classes forum. All of the classes are listed under that forum. If you cannot see that at the moment, you may want to log out and log in again to see if that helps. If not, please PM me and I'll see if I can figure out why you can't see the forum.

jmegray, I'll answer your questions in the order you have them.
    1. Users cannot see the queue. Only moderators can view the queue.
    2. It can take between seven and ten days for a modertor to get to your story. As this is only the eleventh day the queue has been open, the fact that you haven't heard about your chapter yet probably means a moderator hasn't gotten to it yet. Adding chapters does not mean that your original chapter has been approved. Also, if you had read the Submission Rules on the archive, you would know that you are only allowed to submit one chapter of one story to the queue at a time. All additional chapters will be removed from the queue without moderation.
    3. Your name does not come up when you search through the authors because your submission has not yet been approved. Only after your submission has been approved will your username come up using the search option.
    4. It takes just as long to moderate each chapter of your story.

Ron x Hermione
    Sorry, one more question. I edited my last post, but I was too late!

I am trying to submit my fic to the New Year's Challenge cat. It shows up when I am searching for fics on MNFF in the Contest Submissions.. but when I try and submit my own, the New Year's Challenge is not an option. What do I need to do? I would really like to submit this and get it up soon, yet I'm confused! *giggles* Do I need to submit it to the Monthly Challenges?

I will log back in and out right now to see if I can fix the first problem.

EDIT: The problem is NOT fixed. I logged in and out twice, and I still cannot see it. Does this still have something to do with the email validation? Gr... I'm so sorry, thank you so much for helping me!

~Lindsey

Potions Mistress Hufflepuff
    Receiving Toilet Seats
    Lindsey -

Log out of the main site, then clear your cache of all temporary files. Log in again, and you should be able to submit there. When choosing, select contest submissions. Release the button, wait a moment, then click the drop down arrow again. It should then have the challenge subcategories.

As for the other issue, have you tried to join the Students usergroup? If not, try doing that and then you should be able to see it. To do that, click on User CP, and then down at the bottom left there is a link called Group Memberships. There should be a School Students group, and you need to click the button by Join this Group.

Behind every computer monitor is a person with feelings, just like yours.
    THINK BEFORE YOU TYPE.

Author Page

10. 01-12-2007, 11:50 PM

11. 01-12-2007, 11:55 PM

12. 01-12-2007, 11:57 PM

shihtzu71894

house

How do you get placed in a house? I have asked this question multiple times and it has never been answered. please answer

Potions Mistress Hufflepuff
    Receiving Toilet Seats
    Shihtzu, as stated in the beginning of the thread, you should read the FAQ of the site first. Had you done so, you would have found the answer to your question here.

Behind every computer monitor is a person with feelings, just like yours.
    THINK BEFORE YOU TYPE.

Author Page

15. 01-13-2007, 06:19 PM