Quote Originally Posted by Carole
Hmm,

I have this issue about the same-sex 'warning'. On the one hand I agree it's offensive to class this as a warning like violence and abuse, but on the otherhand, I do appreciate that to certain sections of the MNFF community it is an issue. (way to sit on the fence, Carole)

Well, homosexuality was decriminalised in 1954 in the UK. (I don't know about USA or anywhere else) Whilst gay marriage and civil partnerships have been around for only a few years, I think fifty-five years is a long enough time for it to become mainstream.
The problem here is that MNFF is an open site, meaning the stories there are open to people from all around the world, people from different countries, cultures, and religions. So while gay marriage may have become legal in some countries, in many others, it has not. I would understand why reading about something illegal may make a person uncomfortable. Also, putting that aside, gay marriage makes a lot of people uncomfortable on a personal level because of their religion. Now, I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on religion, but I do know that a lot of religions outlaw homosexual relationships. Another thing we have to take into account is that since Harry Potter's fan-base is so wide in range, people of all ages will be reading these stories, including children. If I were a parent, I wouldn't want my daughter/son to read such things at such a young age.

But yes, I do agree that they should be looked at as tags rather than warnings.

xxRiham