Thread: Hogwarts: Quidditch

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs

Hogwarts: Quidditch

I’m writing apost Hogwarts story where the inter-house Quidditch games play a small, but important part in the plot.

From my research I have come to the following conclusions.

The first game of the year is (almost) always Gryffindor v. Slytherin, next is the Hufflepuff v. Ravenclaw game. These are the only games before Christmas.

After Christmas the fixture list is:
    Slytherin v. Ravenclaw
    Gryffindor v. Hufflepuff
    Slytherin v. Hufflepuff
    Gryffindor v. Ravenclaw

Anyone disagree with this?

Also, despite what we have seen in the movies, in the books it appears that all Slytherin team members have been male. No females have ever been mentioned. Would anyone take issue with the statement “Slytherin have never had girls on their team before.”

Finally, in most school sports at UK schools, spectators are allowed into the grounds to watch the games. Would Hogsmeade residents (and proud parents) be allowed to attend, partucularly in the years after the battle.

-N-

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers

Finest Firewhisky
    Well there's nothing I could find in the canon to contradict what you've said, so go ahead. Harry notices that there are no girls on the Slytherin team in Philosipher's Stone, and I wouldn't be surprised that there's unwritten Slytherin ettiquette to say girls don't play Quidditch. It's a house steeped in family traditions and ancestry after all.

I would be tentative in bringing parents to the Quidditch matches though, because no parent is mentioned coming in the books, and I would think parents like Mrs. Weasley and Amos Diggory would come if they could. Of course, if your story is next-gen you can just say it's a new rule.

Lily Windsor
    I would most certainly believe that Hogsmede residents and parents of the students would be allowed to watch the matches. Lucius Malfoy certainly watched Draco play occasionally (I’m almost 100% sure I remember that) and during the Triwizard Tornament the Weasley’s and other parents came to watch that. I don’t think there is any reason why they wouldn’t be allowed to.

the_weird_one
    Well, the the Triwizard Tournament was a big thing, so yeah, it would make sense for parents to be allowed to come. Other than that, I don't think parents would be permitted (or maybe they would, they just don't care much) to watch the game, and if they did, it wouldn't be that big, because so many don't come. Lucius Malfoy only came because he's a very big part and donor of the school, so can see why he would come. Other parents, however, would have trouble finding it, since it's unplottable. You can always suppose they take the train, but really, why make the poor conductor go back and forth every match? It would be a hassle to get there. So there's the subject of that.

And plus, let's say the train won't be able to get back in time and the parents have to stay overnight (this is for Muggle parents, btw, where would they sleep? In the common room with their child? This is a bit not plausible, because I've never heard of someone doing this (it wouldn't happen much, but still...) so I assume it's not going to happen.

Wizarding parents, I suppose, the travel question would be solved by Apparating into Hogsmede. But still, hassle, hassle, hassle, finding out when the games are and such. Sorry to be doubting this, but I'm just presenting some possible problems. Seeing as we never hear of parents coming, it seems as an uncommon thing. Just saying.

Sorry if that sounded too negative, I'm in a bad mood today. And it's the holidays. Bleh. Super sorry!
    -Addy

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Searching for Neville's Toad

I've actually thought a lot about these questions myself, as most of my plots are pretty Quidditch-centric.

I see nothing wrong with adult guests attending games. I mean, if these matches are as big of a deal to students, it seems like the adults would feel a certain tug of importance even decades after finishing school. I could be leaping of the cliff here, but I've covered high school sports during college in the U.S., and whole towns shut down when it's time for the big game. I think it would be within canon realm for this to happen with Hogwarts on Quidditch days ... I mean, there's not just a ton of matches.

It doesn't seem like much of a walk from Hogsmeade to school, so why not?

Frankly, I can also see media trying to sneak in on this too. Hogwarts is going to be the biggest source of Quidditch recruits, so I could see a reporter for a Quidditch magazine trying to get an insider look at future stars. For that matter, what about scouts for professional teams looking at seventh years?

For the Slytherin question, a Quidditch captain's perspective on the game largely determines the makeup of a team. Flint, as suggested in Lee's commentary, favored a muscular front at the expense of skill. The other Houses during this time leaned on a more balanced lineup in which girls could play a role in the skill positions of Seeker and Chaser.

So... I think it's all a matter of who you put in charge of Slytherin. It wouldn't be against canon to follow through with the all-boy assumption, but it's not a requirement. I could see a different captain fielding a much different Slytherin team than Flint during those years.
    Avatar/Banner by me. Advertising the return of "The Fastest Yet," the tale of the founding of the Nimbus Racing Broom Company!

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    Quote Originally Posted by Finest Firewhisky
    Of course, if your story is next-gen you can just say it's a new rule.
    The story is set during Ginny’s (and Hermione’s) final year. The year after the battle. I have no problem in assuming that headmistress McGonnagall would allow parents to attend. The question is, has it happened in the past?

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Windsor
    I would most certainly believe that Hogsmede residents and parents of the students would be allowed to watch the matches. <snip> and during the Triwizard Tornament the Weasley’s and other parents came to watch that. I don’t think there is any reason why they wouldn’t be allowed to.
    From what little I know of British Public Schools, parents and locals often watch sports and games within the school grounds. Certainly post-battle I can’t see any reason to restrict visitors. There are only six games each year.

the_weird_one: I have to disagree with a lot that you say. Parents would care, at least the majority of them would. Most (IMO) be very interested in their children’s achievements. Whether the child wants embarrassing Dad there is a different matter. As most parents are not Muggles (none would be during Snapes year) I think the ‘they can’t get there’ argument can be dismissed. As for the ‘when’ of the games, the fixture list is pretty much fixed. See my original post. The exact weekends won’t be difficult to determine and the kids will be able to inform parents wihin days of the start of term “I’ve been selected for the Quidditch team my first game is on…”

Racing Co: I agree with pretty much everything that you say. Though I think that you are doing the girls a disservice restricting them to the posiitions of Seeker and Chaser, there’s no reason why they couldn’t fill all positions. Milllicent Bulstrode appears to have every quality (except male-ness) required to be ideal for a Slytherin Beater. Flints successor appears to have continued, replacing Derrick and Bole with Crabbe and Goyle but I can see future teams being rather different.

Having read all of the replies I am going to assume that, until the Tri-wizard Tournament, parents and Hogsmeade locals were allowed inside the grounds to watch the match. This was certainly stopped for security reasons during DH (and possibly during OotP). During his short tenure Headmaster Snape reopened the school to show that all was well.

Thanks all.

-N-

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers