Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quicksilver Quills Category Suggestions

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    But how many members of the forum are on SPEW? There are reviewers out there who are not in SPEW, but leave good reviews and should be recognized for their contribution.
    I understand that to a point, but seriously, are people going to stop leaving reviews because there is no longer a QSQ for them. I'm a serial reviewer, as I leave at least something for nearly every fic I read, and that's a lot of them, but I had no idea there was a QSQ for reviewing until the new awards came out. Naturally, I didn't win, nor do I believe I ever will, but my reviewing habits will not change because there isn't a little gold medal thing for it.

As for SPEW, being accepted into it is almost like an award, in a way. They only accept the best, so personally, I don't see why there needs to be anything decided outside of that particular organization for Best Reviewer, because I'll venture to guess that 9 times out of 10, it would be one of them.

That's why I suggested that, while the Reviewer/Bannermaker/Beta categories should remain, the particular governing organizations of those groups should decide who wins it, considering they're more privy to intimate knowledge of the nominees' quality of work, etc.

And yeah, on further thought, combining History and Mystery does seem odd.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

Quote Originally Posted by ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    That's why I suggested that, while the Reviewer/Bannermaker/Beta categories should remain, the particular governing organizations of those groups should decide who wins it, considering they're more privy to intimate knowledge of the nominees' quality of work, etc.
    But then you have to take into account that they might be slightly biased if there are nominees from within their ranks and others who they don't really know... It's just something that jumped to my mind. I think it would be a good idea for the artists of Dean's Corner to decide the Best Artist award together, but as soon as you let, for example, SPEW decide the reviews, I think there's less of a chance for an "outsider" to win. I'm not saying they would do this because they are unfair and selfish, but rather because it's a natural thing to prefer the work of someone you know and have worked with... at least I think so.

But since there is no elite group of artists, it would be a good idea to let them collectively decide about who among them is best. Also, maybe the heads of SPEW and the BA could be heads of the respective committees in the QSQs.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Kara
    Also, maybe the heads of SPEW and the BA could be heads of the respective committees in the QSQs.
    That was roundabout what I meant, but it may or may not have come out that way. That's what I get for working on a four projects at once. My brain is befuddled beyond belief (stupid alliteration).
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Protecting Scabbers from Crookshanks
    As for SPEW, being accepted into it is almost like an award, in a way. They only accept the best, so personally, I don't see why there needs to be anything decided outside of that particular organization for Best Reviewer, because I'll venture to guess that 9 times out of 10, it would be one of them.
    I agree, but then, there are reviewers who can give good reviews, while they haven't even applied for SPEW. That was what I meant.

That sounds like a good idea, though.
    ]

Banner by BELLA THE HELLA. <3

ahattab33
    I am running late for work, but I had to comment:

I have mixed feelings about the Best Reviewer category. I feel strongly about Natalie's point:

But how many members of the forum are on SPEW? There are reviewers out there who are not in SPEW, but leave good reviews and should be recognized for their contribution.
    For there are many people who review frequently that uplift their readers, leave good encouraging reviews, and make concrit contributions that are not in SPEW. And no offense to anyone in SPEW, but it seems as if they review on at SPEW reviewing time and not too much outside of that - there are others who review much more frequently that seem to be overlooked not only at selection time for this award, but frequently at nomination time, which is a fault of the writers as well. So why would we take this award away? As a writer, I look forward to those reviews above all. And I honestly believe that taking away a QSQ will in no way prevent these reviews from occurring, because it won't stop me from leaving them, but I think they should be recognized. I'd certainly like to say thank you to someone taking time to give me feedback in more ways that my Author's note, because now that I've started writing, the review process in fanfiction has become something extremely valuable to me.

But, I am conflicted about this award:

...because I'll venture to guess that 9 times out of 10, it would be one of them.
    I don't have time to check, and I deeply apologize if I'm forgetting someone, but it seems as if the winner of this award if frequently someone in SPEW, so it might seem as if it is an unnecessary award. We are awarding someone for being involved in a part of the boards that promotes reviewing, so of course there will be nominees from that area. But, as mentioned above, I think the frequency frustrates me, and that I'd like to see someone recognized who leaves reviews that are not out of requirement. But again, it would be my fault for not nominating them, so I come back to an indecisive position.

I think overall, I'd like this award to stay due to the sheer undisputable fact that reviewing is the sole source of feedback we receive as writers, and while there might be cons, it's up to us as the nominees to make sure that those people who've uplifted us personally get recognized.

I just wanted to bring these points up, and I'm dashing off to work (yes, this early, and right before Christmas! grrrrr)

~Amanda

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    I'm posting as a reviewer now, rather than in any official QSQ capacity, because I wanted to defend the award for this category.

I think reviewing is hugely important to fanfiction - it is reviews that can encourage an author to keep going when they might want to give up, help them improve their writing, or provide valuable feedback on the writing so far. For me, if we continue to give other awards not directly related to writing, the reviewing award should definitely not be lost.

It seems that if the reviewing award is criticised because it has been won by members of SPEW (though, being particularly curious, I looked it up and, as far as I can tell, of the six people awarded either winner or runner up in the reviewing category, three were members of SPEW at the time of awarding and three weren't - including the 2009 winner - which seems to suggest the QSQ does not automatically go to someone from SPEW), then surely the same criticism should be applied to the bannermaking award. The winner of the bannermaking award, will more often than not be a member of the BA. Should they not be recognised in awards for the whole site because they already receive recognition enough due to the achievement of being accepted into the BA, and then ranked within that? SPEW is a small group in a little alcove of the forums - SPEWers have to put in effort to retain their membership and while they get some form of recognition in the form of the monthly review award, this only really matters within the group itself and it doesn't seem fair to remove this QSQ simply because the person who wins it might happen to be in SPEW. Also, aside the fact that I can't see anything wrong with a SPEW member being honoured in the awards, removing it would deny the possibility of good reviewers, who perhaps don't have the time (or knowledge of) SPEW, receiving recognition for their efforts.

I understand that to a point, but seriously, are people going to stop leaving reviews because there is no longer a QSQ for them.
    That seems to be a point that could be made about any award. Would you stop writing a fic if we removed its particular category from the awards? Hopefully, people do not write for the single reason that they might earn a QSQ one day.

On a more official note, thanks for all the suggestions so far - some interesting things have come up as a result

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Inverarity
    I don't know why the debate over a QSQ for reviewing has become focused on SPEW. I think it's an unnecessary award because reviewing (of the sort done here) is basically a pat on the back for the author. Yes, reviews are wonderful. Yes, long detailed reviews are even more wonderful. Yes, we should encourage reviewers. I sort of understand giving a QSQ for betaing (though I am skeptical as to how this can be effectively judged), but I remain thoroughly unconvinced that the QSQ for reviewing is anything more than an award for giving authors warm fuzzies. (Again, I have nothing against warm fuzzies! I love reviews!) Show me someone who actually takes a story apart top to bottom and writes something worthy of, say, an actual book review (even at a high school level), and maybe I'll believe it's not just a feel-good award.

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Show me someone who actually takes a story apart top to bottom and writes something worthy of, say, an actual book review (even at a high school level), and maybe I'll believe it's not just a feel-good award.
    If you actually looked at the reviews from people who have won the QSQ, you would probably see what you think doesn't exist. Furthermore, if you looked at people who have won the monthly review award that Hannah mentioned [though, yes, this is within SPEW] you'd find the same thing. I mentioned it before, but a good reviewer can pick out the good AND bad, and explain it. Reviewing isn't always about just telling people that their story is good and, believe it or not, a good reviewer doesn't always give the author 'warm fuzzies' - the people that win the review award are able to take apart a story and go deeper than just saying that something was well done - a good reviewer can tell you why.

So, yeah, I wouldn't mind keeping the Reviewer award, but if that stays then I also think that the Beta Award should stay, though I am wary about how it would be judged.
    "Through literacy you can begin to see the universe.
    Through music you can reach anybody.
    Between the two there is you, unstoppable."

--grace slick
    avvie: julia/the_opaleye

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Protecting Scabbers from Crookshanks
    I think it's an unnecessary award because reviewing (of the sort done here) is basically a pat on the back for the author. Yes, reviews are wonderful. Yes, long detailed reviews are even more wonderful. Yes, we should encourage reviewers. I sort of understand giving a QSQ for betaing (though I am skeptical as to how this can be effectively judged), but I remain thoroughly unconvinced that the QSQ for reviewing is anything more than an award for giving authors warm fuzzies.
    I disagree. I myself have received reviews which were not all about "warm fuzzies", but which had concrit. Plus, I don't think this award is meant for the "OMG!!!!1 YOUR STORY WAS SOOOOO GOOD. UPDATE UPDATE!" variety - that's a given.

As for the Beta Reader Award, was it Rachel's suggestion? The one who nominates could provide a few sample which actually shows how the beta-reader worked on his/her story. I like that idea, it's just...will it be more work for the judges?
    ]

Banner by BELLA THE HELLA. <3

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Looking for Nicholas Flamel

I like that idea, it's just...will it be more work for the judges?
    Definitely, but I think the extra work is worth the end result. If the judges saw the beta's work directly, it's inevitable that this would lead to a more accurate 'Best Beta' award, than having to guess based on the author's finished product. Plus, the judges work on a volunteer basis, so they can't complain.

I'm undecided on whether there should be a Best Reviewer award or not [leaning toward yes, it should stay], but it's not fair at all to assume that just because a review has some lines of encouragement or tells the author why they think the story works, the reviewer's opinion has no validity and only serves the purpose of making the author feel good about him or herself. Criticism for the sake of criticism is just as pointless as excessive adulation - the best reviews I've seen are genuine in their balance of praise and concrit, and I can see where these people who spend so much time on their reviews should be rewarded. But I do agree that SPEW should be left out of this discussion - not everyone who reviews is a member of SPEW, so to drop the Best Reviewer award on the grounds that SPEW covers it well enough is, I think, a bit unfair.

GORGEOUS banner by Kat/Mistletoe! Thank you so much!
    Icon by me [disillusion_row on livejournal].