Thread: Quicksilver Quills

Hybrid View

emily_the_poet

Quicksilver Quills

I was wondering if you could add a "Best Characterisation of a Canon Character" category. I was looking at the recent winners and noted that, while we have a place for OCs, there is nothing for those who have taken characters that we know and love (or hate), turned that image on its head and done a fine job of doing so.

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Oh, I love that idea! And, if you want to take it further, there could be best portrayal of a MAJOR canon character, and best portrayal of a MINOR canon character, instead of Male and Female like the OCs.
    "Through literacy you can begin to see the universe.
    Through music you can reach anybody.
    Between the two there is you, unstoppable."

--grace slick
    avvie: julia/the_opaleye

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    I'll third that, because anyone that's ever written a fic in which a major canon character plays a significant role, that person would recognize how incredibly difficult it is to not step on JKR's toes with their own characterization. I myself find it extremely challenging not to screw up my characterization, and anyone that can do that deserves a freaking medal, in my book.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Inverarity
    Wouldn't "Best canon character" be subsumed under categories like "Best canon romance," "Best _____ story," etc.?

Personally, I think being able to write canon characters in character is sort of implied when judging the quality of fan fiction.

Keep in mind, every new category you ask for requires an entire new set of nominations and panel of judges.

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    I've been a judge of the QSQ, so I know the process, and yes, being able to portray canon characters correctly is an obvious requirement. Inn fact, it's more than implied; using the mod heading the category will expressly say that characterization is one of the requirements a judge should be considering.

However, that's not necessarily the only requirement for broad categories like 'Best ____ Story' - the key word is one of the requirements. A story can be really good without having the best characterization out there, and a story can have really good characterization while the whole picture is not the best.

Besides, in my opinion, if you're going to argue that characterization is already a given for best story fics, then you should consider that it's the same thing with an OC fic - there's a category for best OC Romance, and there's also a category for best OC. While an OC is a little differently, obviously, because the character is created from scratch, it still comes down to the same thing - a believable portrayal of a character. Portraying a canon character correctly, especially the major ones, isn't exactly an easy task for some people, and I personally think it's something that should be recognized.
    "Through literacy you can begin to see the universe.
    Through music you can reach anybody.
    Between the two there is you, unstoppable."

--grace slick
    avvie: julia/the_opaleye

Ultimate Cosmic Power Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Aunt Marge Makes A Better Blimpe...
    The mods are currently discussing this idea. One thing though - if we did create this category, or two if we count major and minors - do you think we're in danger of having too many categories for our awards? In nominating, people need to remember that we don't allow a fiction to win more than one category, and they can't win multiple years either. Once the best stories are gone, others need to be nominated in their place. Is there enough great writing out there to warrant another pair of categories?