Thread: Fleur's Grandparents

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!

Fleur's Grandparents

Lately, I've been doing a lot of thinking about the family dynamics that had to exist between Fleur's grandparents. We know that Fleur's grandmother was a Veela, but somehow, I don't see her settling down with Fleur's grandfather and starting a family.

Do think Apolline was raised soley by her father? Did her Veela mother just drop her on her father's doorstep because she had no idea what to do with a human child? C'mon, people! I know there is a story in this somewhere!

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Actually, I don't think Fleur's Grandmother would have deserted her daughter. I'm more inclined to think that Veela's can find love when they find someone who loves them even when they're all ugly.

My reasoning - Fleur has a hair from her grandmother as the core of her wand. I very much doubt she'd have that if she had little or no contact with her grandmother. It suggests to me that they're close.

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

sorrow_of_severus
    originally posted by Carole
    My reasoning - Fleur has a hair from her grandmother as the core of her wand. I very much doubt she'd have that if she had little or no contact with her grandmother. It suggests to me that they're close.
    Like Molly, I'm thinking the Fleur's grandmother probably must have stuck around if Fleur's wand contained her hair. However, this may not mean that Fleur's mother and grandmother had a perfect mother-daughter relationship.

Fleur's grandmother may have spent little time with her daughter, leaving the girl to servants or house-elves until the girl was old enough to go to school. Instead of being a good mother, she may have enjoyed being the life of the party (a la Mary's mother in The Secret Garden). She would have been a figure that Fleur's mother admired from afar as a young child, then grew to resent for her lack of attention as Fleur's mother grew older.

If Fleur's grandmother enjoyed using her veela powers to take gentlemen lovers and Fleur's mother was aware of this, this too could be a cause of resentment. If Fleur's grandmother never married Fleur's grandfather, Fleur's mother may have hated that her mother deprived her of a father. If Fleur's grandmother was married and her husband was not too under her spell to hate the affairs she carried out, Fleur's mother might not like the the problems her mother caused with Fleur's mother's father.

If either or both of these options were the true, Fleur's grandmother also may have harbored some resentment to her daughter for "ruining" her figure when she was pregnant with the Fleur's mother.

Of course, Fleur's mother and grandmother could have had a normal, loving relationship. However, you seem to be looking for less-happy scenarios, and so I presented the two that I could imagine.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    But one also has to take into account just how well a Veela would be able to fit in with wizarding society. Even certain beings (which I assume Veelas are) would have a difficult time of living their lives completely among humans. Veelas tend to be seen as very mysterious and exotic, and I don't think they would have that reputation if they were commonly seen walking down the street.

Maybe instead she would come to visit as often as she could, but remained living among the Veelas she spent her life with. Sort of the Disneyland Dad...or Mom, sort of thing.

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Third Year Ravenclaw
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts

If I were going to write it, I'd make Veela mercurial and fae - when they're in love, they love completely, but the second they're bored they're inclined to flit off and do something else. I could imagine Fleur's grandmother returning to and leaving Fleur's grandfather many times over the years, each time like an emotional hurricane. This is why wizards aren't meant to get involved with Veela, of course, but when she's actually standing right there, it's just... so...

Alternatively, Fleur's grandfather only met with this Veela twice - once for a wild night of romance and again when she delivered their child to him, wanting nothing to do with the raising of half-wizard offspring. Knowing he would never see her again, he asked her for a lock of her hair as a keepsake.

...That's if I was going to write it, though.
    There is shadow under this red rock,/ (Come in under the shadow of this red rock),/ And I will show you something
    different from either/ Your shadow at morning striding behind you/ Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;/

I will show you fear in a handful of dust.

DuelManSeven | DrabbleManSeven | DeadManStories | DeadManSounds

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    But Fleur herself is a product of a very close and loving family. Her mother would probably have been brought up with a good example herself. Of course this doesn't have to be the case, but Appolline herself comes across as a beautiful but very stable witch. (She's friendly to Molly, helps with housework etc etc - not at all vain and spoiled)

If you look at Fleur's parents, her mum is incredibly beautiful and her dad is short and plump. The inequality in looks is striking. It suggests to me that Appolline really loves her husband because she could have had anyone. It suggests to me that somewhere along the line she learned that looks were not everything. She's passed this on to Fleur who accepts Bill without any hesitation whatsoever when he's mauled by Greyback despite not knowing what the contamination could be.

At the wedding, Fleurs cousins (referred to as Veela cousins) disappear with the Weasley Twins. They could be full Veela, or part like Fleur. If part Veela, then grandma must have had more than one child.

I realise that Veelas in the books are portrayed as beautiful when they're turning on the charm, but they do have to be able to breed - so I think a lot of them would have to form relationships with humans/wizards.

Hmm, side issue - we're never told about Veela men ... but they have to exist or there wouldn't be any full Veela's around. Perhaps Grandma got fed up with a Veela man and decided to run off with a wizard who was far less vain.

Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oil Med
    Veelas tend to be seen as very mysterious and exotic, and I don't think they would have that reputation if they were commonly seen walking down the street.
    Well, their appearance varies from incredibly beautiful when they're turning on the charm to looking like scaly birds when they're angry. At the end of the QWC it's noted that they are 'shrinking back into their usual beautiful selves, though looking dispirited and forlorn'. I don't think they're always turning on the charm, they just are beautiful. As long as they could keep that form and not get angry then they could live quite happily in the wizarding world.

They're not classed as a Magical Creature by the way ... at least they're not mentioned in my copy of Fantastic Beasts and Where to find them.'

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Ah, the eturnal Veela-breeding question...we have had this discussion many times before. Maybe Veela can reproduce in the traditional way with humans, but reproduce some other way to create pure, only female Veelas...like budding like Spongebob.

Although, I'm sure it's really a much more magical way than that. What could it be?

Brand New Story!