Thread: Wizarding Children in the Colonies

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!

Wizarding Children in the Colonies

Recently, I have been doing a lot of contemplating about the colonial times of many of the worlds countries. I wonder if Hogwarts would have accepted students from British colonies, and how they would have gone about getting these students to the school and back home again. Any other country that had colonies at some point in history apply to this arguement as well. We know that France had a great deal of colonies, and so did Spain, even though J.K. never named a wizarding school in Spain.

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Double-posting because I want to add a new point of discussion to this thread, and hopefully encourage some people to share their opinions.

What about territories that still exist today? There are countries in the Carribean and the South Pacific that are technically parts of European countries, particularily the UK and France. Do you think the children from these countries would go to Hogwarts or Beauxbatons because they are technically citizens of these countries, or would they go to schools closer by that share the same language?

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    Double-posting because I want to add a new point of discussion to this thread, and hopefully encourage some people to share their opinions.

What about territories that still exist today? There are countries in the Carribean and the South Pacific that are technically parts of European countries, particularily the UK and France. Do you think the children from these countries would go to Hogwarts or Beauxbatons because they are technically citizens of these countries, or would they go to schools closer by that share the same language?
    I doubt that most island nations/colonies have a wizarding population large enough to support a wizarding school. I'd guess that wealthier families send their children to Hogwarts or Beauxbatons, etc., while poorer ones probably homeschool them.

Many wizarding children probably grow up in regions where there isn't a convenient large institution of magical learning available, so being taught by their family and community seems more likely.

Juliet360
    I think if there were more than just a few Wizarding children in those types of areas, the community might put together some kind of informal classes. Nothing like a wizarding school, since, like Inverity said, they probably couldn't support one. It would probably be more like an all ages in one classroom with just one or two teachers type thing.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    I wonder about Muggle-borns, though. Some of these smaller schools seem like they would be very word-of-mouth, the friends of friends' children all being taught together. Perhapes European schools would use those same special allowences they have for poor Muggle-born students in the U.K. to help educate Muggle-borns from territories, or give insentives to other English speaking schools in the region to take them on instead.

I imagine these cases would be few and far between, though.

Do you think, though, they would want to educate these Muggle-born children themselves, or give insentives to send them to other schools in closer proximity?

Brand New Story!

Juliet360
    In a smaller community, the Muggleborns might be noticed, as long as the Wizards are mixing with the Muggles, and then I think they would be invited to join the small groups for their magical education.

I could see some of the European schools taking on whatever students were near by, although some international magical cooperation would be required to make sure every child in a country's territories got the opportunity to attend a school.

I think the people in the territories would prefer the children go to one of the major schools because of the quality of education provided there, however I'm not sure that all school would have the funds to educate lots of people from a poorer community.

As for what they would prefer specifically for Muggleborns, I think they would want the Muggle borns to learn the local Wizarding traditions, but they'd also want them to have the education a formal school could provide if the opportunity presented itself.