Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: QWC Team Two (aka: the winners) Round-Robin

ElectronicQuillster
    Right...here's who we've got so far:

Harpies
    -Glynnis Griffiths - Seeker and Captain
    -Gwendolyn Morgan - Keeper
    -Lauren Jackson - Beater (I randomly assigned her to this position...)
    -(Beater)
    -Kacey Umbrane(chaser)
    -(Chaser)
    -(Chaser)

Harriers
    -Rudolf Brand - Captain (no position yet)
    -Hugh Borno - Beater
    -(Beater)
    -(Chaser)
    -(Chaser)
    -(Chaser)
    -(Keeper)
    -(Seeker)

Also, remember that any Quidditch words need to be always capitalized. Chaser, Beater, Snitch, etc.

Play by play of the plot so far:
    -Griffiths andn Brand shake hands
    -Brand winks at Morgan
    -Teams kick off
    -Griffiths watches Umbrane (Harpies) go for a goal -- we probably need to mention Griffiths refocusing on her task...we don't want an inattentive Seeker
    -Borno (Harriers) hits Umbrane's (Harpies) broom, and she drops the Quaffle
    -Harrier Chasers begin a drive toward the other end of the field

Things to keep in mind:
    -Griffiths eventually catches the Snitch
    -Brand proposes to Morgan at the end of the match, and she concusses him with her broom

Other things to ponder:
    -Since Brand eventually proposes to Morgan, the Keeper of the other team, would he perhaps be a Chaser, thus giving him interation with her?
    -Do we want this to be a high scoring game or more of a massively defensive game?

nysuperstarz
    Massively defensive, definatly, that would keep the game going for so long and give us more to write about, we might also need to come up with some quidditch moves, anyone ever read "Ender's Games" its a Sci Fi book but its about battle school so I'm going to try so get some ideas from there...

Just so tat we actually have all the characters I filled in the slots...

Harpies

-Lauren Jackson - Beater (I randomly assigned her to this position...)
    -Holy Peirce (Beater)
    -Kacey Umbrane(chaser)
    -Sara White (Chaser)
    -Ellie Sommers (Chaser)

Harriers
    -Rudolf Brand - Captain (Chaser)
    -Hugh Borno - Beater
    -Serene Jackson (Chaser)
    -Jillian Green (Chaser)
    -Clayton Hart (BEATER)
    -Jackson Weiss (Keeper)
    -Barton Fosco(Seeker)

Yeah, I just went to a baby names site and searched British names and just randomly gave them positions so that we would have a start of point.

I'll edit with a part of the round robin...

As the crowd continued to chorus, "Borno, Borno!" Serene Jackson quickly caught the free falling quaffle. She signaled the other chasers with a quick flick of the wrist and she was off, speeding towards the opposing teams goal, the other chaser flagging her from the sides. As they approached mid-field the other team seemed to catch on. The Harpies had an advantage, they were quick and agile, there movements were smooth and rhythmic, in no time they flanked the opposing chasers and forced them to change course, but Jackson held strong, with a tight grip on the quaffle she dipped low avoiding a bludger and flew straight at the goal hoop, the only thing between her and that goal was Morgan...

ElectronicQuillster
    Actually...the Harriers are from Germany. They need German names. Shall I go and check a list of Germanic names and see if I can find similar things? Yes...that would be a good task while I anxiously wait for another turn. We want to be authentic.

-shuffles off into the wilderness of internet information-

Okay, I'm taking the baton and writing the next part. I'll edit soon.

nysuperstarz
    Woopsie, I'm so used to Engilsh names it totally slipped my mind, go ahead and hunt for something German, I just posted my part in the post before and I'll go back and change the names in a bit after you post them...

Yeah, so you can go now ;D

~Roop

ElectronicQuillster
    Roop, I've got to sort of contest what you've just added on to the story. The first few lines repeat what I just wrote before you, plot wise.

The Harrier Chasers were laying in wait to capture the Quaffle, beginning a pattern of passes as the Germans their Beater’s first triumph of the game.

“Borno! Borno!”
    As the crowd continued their chorus of "Borno, Borno!" Serene Jackson quickly caught the free falling quaffle. She signaled the other chasers with a quick flick of the wrist and she was off, speeding ...
    I think we could edit it to be something more along the lines of this:

The Harrier Chasers were laying in wait to capture the Quaffle, beginning a pattern of passes as the Germans cheered their Beater’s first triumph of the game.

“Borno! Borno!”

As the crowd continued their chorus, Freida Klinsmann (a change from the British name of Serene Jackson) zoomed down the pitch with the Quaffle under her arm. (She already caught the Quaffle in the previous paragraph when Urbane dropped it.) She passed the Quaffle off with an expert flick of the wrist as they'd practiced and drilled so many times, flying in a tight formation. They couldn't escape the opposing Chasers for long, however. They began closing in along midfield. (These are professional players, we've got to keep a professional edge for them all while they're still fresh and barely a few minutes into the game, right?) The Harpies had an advantage: they were quick and agile, their movements were smooth and rhythmic, arguably some of the best Chasers in the league. In no time they forced the Harriers to change course. The Quaffle was quickly tossed back to Klinsmann, who held strong. With a tight grip on the Quaffle she dipped low, avoiding a Bludger, and went straight toward the goal hoop. The only thing between her and that goal was Morgan.
    We also had a very long run-on sentence in the original verson. I really hope you don't feel like I'm picking on you at all...I think it's just a benefit to all of us that we have three betas right here whenever one of us adds something, and if we edit as we go, I think we'll really be getting on the right track to being severe competition in this gig.

Right, and I've just got a little bit to add on...

Klinsmann flew to the left, keeping her eyes on Morgan. Morgan mirrored the Chaser, but in a bold move Klinsmann threw the Quaffle hard right. It was miraculously caught by Rudolf Brand and tossed into an unguarded hoop.

“THERE GOES YOUR FIRST SCORE OF THE GAME!” the announcer yelled. “Harriers pull out, but don’t expect the Harpies to roll over, folks. We’re likely watching a historical match!”

The booming cheers reminded Glynnis Griffiths that she must keep only half an eye on the game’s action and the rest of her focus on finding that small glimmer of gold...

I was thinking that, from here, we could change scenes. We've got seven days to cover, after all. I'm thinking it would be pretty dramatic if we have one of the Harpies get injured by a Bludger and have to be taken off the field for a few hours to be patched up by the Healers. So, a rough sketch for us to work with for the next scene: have our announcer (who probably should have a name...and a gender...) bring us in with a score so that we've got an appropriate cue that time has passed; show some sort of action - it'd be nice if we see something new here, maybe even a bit of flirtation between Brand and Morgan or some Seeker fakes between the Seekers, or even a mad dash to the Snitch when the action for catching the Snitch is interrupted by the injury.

I'm thinking it would be great if we could shoot for at least four more scenes. This injury, two more (maybe even three, depending on our pace), and then the capture of the Snitch and our ending proposal from Captain Rudolf Brand. Thoughts?

And for our continued reference...I'll try and post updated versions of this pretty often so we can remember what we've got going on.
    Harpies
    -Lauren Jackson - Beater
    -Maude Peirce - Beater (I changed the name from Holy...since she plays for the Holyhead team...)
    -Kacey Umbrane - Chaser
    -Sara White - Chaser
    -Ellie Sommers - Chaser

Harriers
    -Rudolf Brand - Chaser and Captain
    -Hugh Borno - Beater
    -Lukas Meier - Beater
    -Freida Klinsmann - Chaser
    -Lena Zimmerman - Chaser
    -Finn Weiss - Keeper
    -Bernd Foerster - Seeker

Looking up Germanic names...pretty interesting, I must say. I tried to find similarities where I could.

Also, remember that any Quidditch words need to be always capitalized. Chaser, Beater, Snitch, etc.

Play by play of the plot so far:
    -Griffiths and Brand shake hands
    -Brand winks at Morgan
    -Teams kick off
    -Griffiths watches Umbrane go for a goal
    -Borno hits Umbrane's broom, and she drops the Quaffle
    -Harrier Chasers begin a drive toward the other end of the field

Things to keep in mind:
    -Griffiths eventually catches the Snitch
    -Brand proposes to Morgan at the end of the match, and she concusses him with her broom
    -These are professional players, so they'll probably only be slippin on their game when they're exhausted
    -We want to keep the score tight and not too high - they're defensive teams

Other things to ponder:
    Time Out Policy according to Quidditch Through the Ages: "The Captain of a team may call for time out... this is the only time players' feet are allowed to touch the ground. Time out may be extended to a two-hour period if a game has lasted more thatn 12 hours."

Wand_Waver2006
    *catches baton* Me next, dudes! I also have a name--and gender--for the announcer: Paul Siegfried, male. No definate looks or characteristics.

"Ok, folks!" called Paul Siegfried, bags under his eyes. "I hope you're all comfortable, 'cause we ain't done yet! This is the third day of this match but the teams show no sign of stopping yet. Current score: Harpies seventy, Harriers just out in front with eighty."

Morgan blinked as the sun rose. The game should have been won the day before--Griffiths had been so close to catching the elusive Snitch--but Bernd Foerster, the seeker for the Harriers, had knocked against her, almost making her fall to the ground.

There. *throws baton*

ElectronicQuillster
    This had been a tough game. Most of the goal attempts were superbly blocked, and the Chasers on both sides had to pull out the stops to get anything past the Keepers. It was a shame the players and spectators were too enveloped to watch the stunning sunrise. The sky was painted beautifully with reds and pinks. Any Muggleborn paying attention may have been reminded of the old saying, Red skies in morning: sailor, take warning...

sayiansirius
    *looks around*

I guess I'll take it from there, Marie.

Paul broke out of his reverie as he heard something hardly ever heard on a Quidditch field. Looking towards the field, he saw the Harriers on their side of the goal posts and the Harpies on theirs. And what was more, cat calls were issuing from the side of the Harriers. Their captain, Brand, pulled out his wand and a series of muttering echoed from the audience.

"What is he thinking?" muttered Paul. With a flick of his wand, a glittering heart erupted from the tip and soared towards Gwendolyn Morgan of the Harpies, whose face was contorted in fury.

Ok that was really hard to get to exactly 100 lol. Good luck to the next person. Oh and Roop, you're gonna have to change the name Serene Jackson that you have on your post to Freida Klinsmann.

nysuperstarz
    *waits for KC to post*

I'll go after you~

One thing id like to bring up, this is what we have so far....

The buzz was one of anticipation for a great match up between the all-female Holyhead Harpies and Heidelburg Harriers, pride of Germany. The full stadium greeted them with a thunderous cheers and jeers. The players hardly noticed, entirely focused on the match and defending successful records.

The teams met midfield, anxiously waiting for kick off. Captains Glynnis Griffiths and Rudolf Brand shook hands. Brand quickly scrutinized his competition, and then shot a wink at the girl who shared his number. After a second of surprise, she frowned at him, the whistle was blown, and the teams rose into the air.

The wind rushed past Griffith's face as she looked around for that golden ball of glory. She coudln't help but divert her attention to watch her teammates fly, though--one of the chasers, Kacey Umbrane, had the red Quaffle in her arms. She swerved around the opposing team's chasers, going for the goal.

Glynnis held her breath as she watched her teammate draw closer to the goal hoops. The noise of the crowd swelled as Umbrane neared the hoops. Would she aim left, right or middle? She needed to decide within the next two seconds. But out of nowhere a Bludger smashed into the tail of Umbrane’s broom, knocking her off course, forcing her to drop the Quaffle in order to steady her broom. The Harrier Chasers were laying in wait to capture the Quaffle, beginning a pattern of passes as the Germans their Beater’s first triumph of the game.

“Borno! Borno!”

As the crowd continued their chorus, Freida Klinsmann zoomed down the pitch with the Quaffle under her arm. She passed the Quaffle off with an expert flick of the wrist as they'd practiced and drilled so many times, flying in a tight formation. They couldn't escape the opposing Chasers for long, however. They began closing in along midfield. The Harpies had an advantage; they were quick and agile, their movements were smooth and rhythmic, arguably some of the best Chasers in the league. In no time they forced the Harriers to change course. The Quaffle was quickly tossed back to Klinsmann, who held strong. With a tight grip on the Quaffle she dipped low, avoiding a Bludger, and went straight toward the goal hoop. The only thing between her and that goal was Morgan.

Klinsmann flew to the left, keeping her eyes on Morgan. Morgan mirrored the Chaser, but in a bold move Klinsmann threw the Quaffle hard right. It was miraculously caught by Rudolf Brand and tossed into an unguarded hoop.

“THERE GOES YOUR FIRST SCORE OF THE GAME!” the announcer yelled. “Harriers pull out, but don’t expect the Harpies to roll over, folks. We’re likely watching a historical match!”

The booming cheers reminded Glynnis Griffiths that she must keep only half an eye on the game’s action and the rest of her focus on finding that small glimmer of gold.

"Ok, folks!" called Paul Siegfried, bags under his eyes. "I hope you're all comfortable, 'cause we ain't done yet! This is the third day of this match but the teams show no sign of stopping yet. Current score: Harpies seventy, Harriers just out in front with eighty."

The only thing I have a problem with here is that we just finished the first play by play part of the game and the first 10 points were just won moments before so I don't believe it fitting to rush into the 3rd day already, it doesn't seem to fit together, Griffiths had just seen the glimmer of gold and then all of a sudden we're on our third day already, I understand that we need to move quickly but we still have 8 days of writing left to do so I think we have enough time to fill in the gaps a bit without jumping around so much, how about something like this...

"Ok, folks!" called Paul Siegfried, bags under his eyes. "I hope you're all comfortable, 'cause we're just gettin' started! This is only the beginning of this match, the teams show no sign of stopping yet. Current score: Harpies zero, Harriers just out in front with ten."

That would let us write a bit more about the first day and maybe let the Harpies catch up a bit before going on to the next day, like Mar said nothing on you, its just that I don't want to rush this, maybe work in about two days every day meaning every regular day of ours... tell me what you guys think about this and if you guys think I'm wrong about it then so be it, we'll change it back then, okay?

I dunno, thats just my opinion, but that would mean that we would have to add a bit over in the middle, here's an idea, how about we keep what Star wrote and just add something on kind of like an offensive play by the Harpies right after the Harriers score, so then we can keep what everyone else wrote the same and just add a bit of bulk to the first day

Morgan blinked as the sun rose. The game should have been won the day before--Griffiths had been so close to catching the elusive Snitch--but Bernd Foerster, the seeker for the Harriers, had knocked against her, almost making her fall to the ground.

This had been a tough game. Most of the goal attempts were superbly blocked, and the Chasers on both sides had to pull out the stops to get anything past the Keepers. It was a shame the players and spectators were too enveloped to watch the stunning sunrise. The sky was painted beautifully with reds and pinks. Any Muggleborn paying attention may have been reminded of the old saying, Red skies in morning: sailor, take warning...

Paul broke out of his reverie as he heard something hardly ever heard on a Quidditch field. Looking towards the field, he saw the Harriers on their side of the goal posts and the Harpies on theirs. And what was more, cat calls were issuing from the side of the Harriers. Their captain, Brand, pulled out his wand and a series of muttering echoed from the audience.

"What is he thinking?" muttered Paul. With a flick of his wand, a glittering heart erupted from the tip and soared towards Gwendolyn Morgan of the Harpies, whose face was contorted in fury.

ElectronicQuillster
    No, there should be a gap/story break after the golden glimmer and before Paul brings us back into the game. It will get boring if we try and illustrate everything that goes on. There are only so many times we can write about the Chasers zooming back and forth. We have to concentrate on pacing because it can get tedious for readers to read. Let's leave it the original way - three people wrote through that transition, which is quite a bit.

Wait...I was going to say I was going to take the next portion, but I see that Roop hasn't written anything yet. Are you going to still?

Let's try and work to a plot point...we've got a little flirtation between Brand and Morgan, but let's keep in mind that idea for an injury.