Thread: Muggles and Wizarding Diseases

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!

Muggles and Wizarding Diseases

I had a sudden thought today, and I was wondering if anyone had any answers or opinions. Is it possible for Muggles to catch Dragon Pox if they are directly exposed to it? What do we know about wizards catching Muggle diseases like smallpox or polio (I know, these are only diseases, but they were a great scourge in their time)?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    I had a sudden thought today, and I was wondering if anyone had any answers or opinions. Is it possible for Muggles to catch Dragon Pox if they are directly exposed to it? What do we know about wizards catching Muggle diseases like smallpox or polio (I know, these are only diseases, but they were a great scourge in their time)?
    Dragon Pox could be an inherently magical disease, in which the virus is magical and is only attracted to magic. Or, it could be just like any other kind of pox, but only transmitted by the namesake dragon. Given Muggles' lack of contact with dragons, they cannot get the Dragon Pox unless they were to somehow get close to one, which the International Confederation of Wizards and all Magical governments seek to avoid, for matters of secrecy over hygiene.

As for Muggle diseases like smallpox or polio, I don't see any reason why wizards cannot get them. Ginny caught a cold once, didn't she? If she can get a cold, then she could still get the flu, a pox, AIDS, etcetera. The only difference is that wizards have different methods of curing or treating these illnesses and diseases.

Tim the Enchanter

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    But a scenerio I am think of are the smallpox blankets and the Native Americans. Not nearly as many people would have been effected by the illness were it not for the secondary contact that the blankets provided.

Would it be possible to catch Dragon Pox through means of secondary contact, like with smallpox, be it for wizards or Muggles?

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    But a scenerio I am think of are the smallpox blankets and the Native Americans. Not nearly as many people would have been effected by the illness were it not for the secondary contact that the blankets provided.

Would it be possible to catch Dragon Pox through means of secondary contact, like with smallpox, be it for wizards or Muggles?
    Sure. I don't see why it shouldn't be possible, unless you decide that some illnesses like Dragon Pox are specific to magical people.

Tim the Enchanter

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    But we does everyone else out there think? Is Dragon Pox an illness fueled by magic so only wizards can catch it, or are cases limited just because Muggles have a lack of exposure to it? Any other theories are most certainly welcome as well.

Brand New Story!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    But we does everyone else out there think? Is Dragon Pox an illness fueled by magic so only wizards can catch it, or are cases limited just because Muggles have a lack of exposure to it? Any other theories are most certainly welcome as well.
    Personally, I'd go with the latter option, as there are more possibilities available. It would be interesting to see some wizard terrorist (like Voldemort) infect a load of blankets with Dragon Pox, and give them to Muggles to start an epidemic.

Tim the Enchanter